IGNORED

Helmet prices

RPG

I have had good experiences in the past ordering from Helmet House. Good prices, good service, and no surprises. I ordered a Nolan from them last year, and they warned me that the special price was because it was a discontinued color, and no return would be possible.

I am on several bike shop mailing lists so I forget who had the helmets...

one of these two has a big Shoei sale... either Bike Bandit (bandit is the shop dog) or Competition accessories... both reliable in my opinion.

flat_twin

I love my RF 1000 but I'd ask for a mfg date from inside the helmet on a discontinued closeout item. If an older date is justified by an big discount OK but I'd ask first.

Checking around is always a good idea. I did one last check and found my size and color RF-1000 for $235 at Dennis Kirk. They said they only had one. I checked a week before and they did not show it, must have it in the back room or something. Road with it for the first time last night (snow and wind and cold the last few weeks) and so far so good.

Scarecrow

I need to get a new helmet too. How do you know what size is best without being able to try it on? Let's say I'm looking for a Nolan or Shoei; how do I know what size to get? Every manufacturer seems to make up his own scale. Is there a store in the SF Bay area with a wide choice of helmets ?

I'd appreciate any help on this and hope that it isn't a complete hijack. (If it is, let me know and I'll repost as a new entry.)

RichEdwards
How do you know what size is best without being able to try it on?

Trying it on is the only way to get proper fit. One company's "Large" is another company's "Medium." And head shape is vitally important to consider. Some helmets are perfect for "oval" heads, others for "long ovals" and others for "round." That's why, when I find a helmet that fits, I stay with it for years and buy the same model for replacement.

Buying a helmet over the internet when you have not tried that model on is a big gamble.

Matts_12GS
Trying it on is the only way to get proper fit. One company's "Large" is another company's "Medium." And head shape is vitally important to consider. Some helmets are perfect for "oval" heads, others for "long ovals" and others for "round." That's why, when I find a helmet that fits, I stay with it for years and buy the same model for replacement.

Buying a helmet over the internet when you have not tried that model on is a big gamble.

Wisdom in that post there!

I was looking for a new helmet a couple years ago and knew about what I wanted so I went down to my local cycle gear store since they have a week or two week ride and return policy for helmets. They were quite helpful, gave a lot of good info on fitting the lid and then they offered us something like a 15% discount to buy it on their credit card. So, signed up for the card, special ordered a color pattern and waited a week then paid it off.

I saved about $100 bones on my lid, helped a local store and got exactly what would fit me.

I'm not affiliated, but I was very pleased with that whole process.

I purchased a Shoei Multitech from the Helmet Shop at year and a half ago. At that time they had the best online price. Shipped here quickly.

Thanks; that's what I figured. I just have to find a store around here that carries Nolan, Shoei and maybe some other brand.

Just this weekend I took the Mrs. to Iron Pony (huge, huge motorcycle accessory store in Columbus, OH) to shop for a new helmet. Her Jarrow was eight years old and getting loose. She was dead set on getting one with the drop down internal visor like she had with the Jarrow. Several modular helmets offer this feature like Nolan, Scorpion, Shark, and another one I can't remember, but after trying them all on and wearing each of them for several minutes, she settled on the Shoei Multitec even though it doesn't have the drop down visor. It was the most expensive of the bunch but it fit the best, she says it felt lighter too but I think it was more an issue of better balance. We were able to swap the cheek pads for ones that were slightly thicker for an even better fit. She also bought a dark visor to make up for the missing internal visor. The price was slightly higher than an online purchase but the service and attention we were given while at the store was impressive so we bought it there rather than online. As we checked the helmet over we found a tiny cosmetic flaw under the chin bar. It was the last one in that color and size so the clerk gave us 10% off. Sweet! Sometimes it's good to support the local guys

Milton in MIDGA

I just purchased a Nolan N43 Trilogy White from http://www.extremesupply.com/nolanhelmets/nolanhelmets.htm for $249.00.

I tried on the similar helmet at the Atlanta BMW dealer but they did not have what I wanted.

I like the integrated visor and the ability to attach the communications system.

Ebay had them with a buy it now and Best offer option but not in my size and color that I wanted.

So I can let you know more about it in a week or so.

I just ordered 2 new Shoei RF-1100's...one for me and one for my girlfriend. We ordered them from www.thehelmetcenter.com. Actually, I ordered them over the phone. I wanted to make sure what we were looking for was available, and it was. They had the best prices I found anywhere, and then they even gave us an additional small "veterans" discount. I spoke with manager David, he indicated that if the fit wasn't correct that we can exchange for a different size. Free shipping too. They should be here in a day or two.

Archived