IGNORED

heated or non heated russell day long seat

cali_beemer

cali_beemer

I am about to order a russell day long seat for the Vstrom. I am debating on heated or not. I had a mayer heated seat and the heater was mediocre at best, definately not worth any extra money. Anyone use Russells heated element seat?

Cali,

I do not have a heated seat, I just felt that I needed to state my opinion FWIW. I have never seen a need for a heated seat, as you say, they are mediocre at best. Maybe it is my particular butt, but it is always hot on my Rick Mayer leather seat even in 40 deg. weather. Was hot also on my previous vinyl covered Corbin seat. :lurk:

cali_beemer
Cali,

I do not have a heated seat, I just felt that I needed to state my opinion FWIW. I have never seen a need for a heated seat, as you say, they are mediocre at best. Maybe it is my particular butt, but it is always hot on my Rick Mayer leather seat even in 40 deg. weather. Was hot also on my previous vinyl covered Corbin seat. :lurk:

I have had them on my LT, RT and GT in OEM form form BMW and they worked good, in fact almost too hot in high. Right now I am leaning toward no heater for a few reasons. I may take this bike in the dirt and that just one mor thing to break and the Vstrom is very limited on electrical capability by its charging system.

I agree with Paul.

I bought my RT with heated seats and had the heating elements retained when my seats were built by Rocky Mayer. I have used the heat only once while riding in Death Valley at around 30F. Honestly, it was too hot even at the lowest setting so I turned it off.

If you don't have heated seats, leave it that way. You really don't need em. I wont pay for em again.

Just my opinion.

Nice n Easy Rider
I am about to order a russell day long seat for the Vstrom. I am debating on heated or not. I had a mayer heated seat and the heater was mediocre at best, definately not worth any extra money. Anyone use Russells heated element seat?

I bought a used RDL from one of our members a few months ago. It is heated and had the OEM factory plug. On a nice frosty ride to work shortly after installing it I turned on the heating switch and "presto" , nice and toasty heating as good as any I had on my OEM seat. I'm very satisfied and happy (thanks Highway41). :thumbsup:

If you live and ride in the north then a heated seat is terrific, IMHO.

I wouldn't put a heated seat on my DL650 Vstrom due to that limited amps issue. If you want heat on a wee it's better to go with a Gerbing jacket liner and G3 gloves, IMHO.

If you don't ride in the cold very often then a heated seat may not be worth it.

I got a RDL heated on my 1150GS last fall & like it very much.I didn't want them to cut my seat for the switch,so I plug it in to my accessory socket by my left foot.

cali_beemer
If you live and ride in the north then a heated seat is terrific, IMHO.

I wouldn't put a heated seat on my DL650 Vstrom due to that limited amps issue. If you want heat on a wee it's better to go with a Gerbing jacket liner and G3 gloves, IMHO.

If you don't ride in the cold very often then a heated seat may not be worth it.

Thanks Kathy, I forgot I am not the only wee rider here. I was debating on the jacket liner but the jackets will use up about 90 watts vs the day long seat heater is around 18 I believe. Granted the jacket liner will be warmer. I think I may go without the heater. The 170 dollars for the option doesnt seem like much of a deal on a item that may only get used a few times in the year. My wee came to me with the suzuki heated grips and handguards so not much of a need for heated gloves. BTW, got the wee out for a little 100 mile loop and wow, that was fun. Amazing at how fun this bike is.

I have heat in my RDL. I have it controlled by a remote heat-troller mounted in the dash. On cold day rides to work, it is great! With the seat and grips heated, I am OK for my 20-30 minute ride no matter the temp. It saves me needing to put a vest or liner on. I live in Denver and ride to work year round. If it isn't slick, I ride. On long rides, the heated seat, and grips along with a heated liner, and I am good for about 30F, all day long. I had it installed for a while with a simple on/off setup. Way to hot! It needs to have some type of control. For me it has been worth the $$.

Isn't it though!! For the money it is a lot of bike(s).

If you want to get more amps you could get the Eastern Beaver headlight cutoff switch, which lets you save 55 watts by shutting off one of the headlights. (thank you FB)

Because I wanted to be really sure of what was happening to my battery, as I traveled, I installed a voltmeter on my "dashboard" just above the tach.

I live in the north and so need complete warmth. I had full Gerbings and a heated Corbin, along with the stock heated grips, on my RT.

You might want to try these, or similar, Heat Packs

You live in CA; he land of 40 degree temperature differentials depending on your elevation. I remember changing my gear twice in the course of one day out there.

I've got a heated seat on my R1200RT and love it. It's really nice on some cool mornings even in the summer. I like to leave early on trips and sometimes it's a little chilly prior to the sun coming up. Also, on cool rain days on the road I find the heated seat nice, I don't have to stop, put on more clothes to keep warm. In the mountains it can get cold pretty quickly in the higher altitudes, then warm up just as quick when you get to the lower levels. Just a nice option in my opinion.

Steve

cali_beemer
Isn't it though!! For the money it is a lot of bike(s).

If you want to get more amps you could get the Eastern Beaver headlight cutoff switch, which lets you save 55 watts by shutting off one of the headlights. (thank you FB)

Because I wanted to be really sure of what was happening to my battery, as I traveled, I installed a voltmeter on my "dashboard" just above the tach.

I live in the north and so need complete warmth. I had full Gerbings and a heated Corbin, along with the stock heated grips, on my RT.

You might want to try these, or similar, Heat Packs

You live in CA; he land of 40 degree temperature differentials depending on your elevation. I remember changing my gear twice in the course of one day out there.

Thanks Kathy, I already use the heat packs in my boots. I have poor circulation in my feet. I will eventually get around to the voltmeter. I dont typically run alot of electronic gadgets so not sure i need to go the eastern beaver route. I have had heated seats before but they only get used so often around here. I try to stay out of the sierra when it gets that cold and ride more in the valley like around napa. I am just starting to question if the heated seats is a good idea on a bike that may see some off road. I dont believe BMW puts heated seats on the GS so there may be some reaosning behind this. I should probably invest in a set of riding pants instead of the heated seat.

cali_beemer

Well, I just ordered my russell day long saddle. I got all vinyl with the heavyweight spring and heated elements for the driver. I should get my official build date soon but I called and they were booking for the 3rd week in june. I have always liked the heated seat and it doesnt seem todraw much in the way of power.

Well, I just ordered my russell day long saddle. I got all vinyl with the heavyweight spring and heated elements for the driver. I should get my official build date soon but I called and they were booking for the 3rd week in june. I have always liked the heated seat and it doesnt seem todraw much in the way of power.

I think heat in the seat is a nice option to have. I wouldn't be without it regardless of the price of the option.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I had a Corbin on my 1100RT with no heat for ten years. I bought a 1200RT last spring, and last summer got a Corbin for it, with heat. Finally wired up the heat in time for this spring's BRR event.

It was nice, particularly when coming home through the same weather system that hosed Nashville. I could have gotten by without it, but it made things much more pleasant.

I can't speak to the specifics of Russell's seat heat, but knowing nothing other than my experience with my Corbin (and with the heated seats in my car :grin:), if I was in your situation, I would definitely get it. If it sucks, you can always leave it turned off.

Archived