IGNORED

Euro Flip Up Helmet

DrMikey

A while ago, I read about a flip-up available only in Europe. It was light and not to pricey. Anyone recall the name?

... not to pricey. Anyone recall the name?
Har, har! From EU and not too pricy?

But, if you'd like, here is something to ponder: Louis.de - helmets page . From the dropbox in the center, select "Helme - Klapp" (helmets - flip). "Weiter" means next page.

If the above link does not work, go to main page: Louis.de and in the upper left selection click "Bekleidung & Helme" (clothing & helmets) and then "Helme - Klapp"

By the way, you will notice that the difference in weight between the light and heavy ones is minor, more of an advertising feature: from 1.5 to 1.7kg. The real stress on your neck is from aerodynamic buffeting and that is very difficult to determine in advance, as it will vary not only with the helmet but also your head position and windscreen shape.

Anyway, if you want to go for the gusto: check out the limited-edition Schuberth C3 in carbon fiber, yours for a mere 900 Euro ($1200).

Enjoy.

I have a Schuberth C2 that has been down once (minor) and is about 5 years old so I quit wearing it and moved over to a Nolan N-103. I like the audio integration of the Nolan, but the C2 was hands down the most comfy helmet I've ever owned. I would have purchased another one, but you can't find them in the US anymore and I didn't want to mess with having one shipped over. Not to mention trying to find parts for them now..

I miss my C2

I bit the bullet and ordered a Schuberth C3 from Germany. I know what you're saying about hassling with the shipping but this was very straight forward - 39e and it was shipped directly to me and arrived in about 2 weeks (or less) in perfect condition. Helmet is GREAT.

A friend told me she was talking to Schuberth recently and they are going to try to enter the US market again soon. 'Soon' may be a relative term, but it sure would be nice to see them here again!

Jim

My dealer in Montreal Canada sells Schubert helmets. They are expensive though.

Sipment to US is easy.

Call them at 514 483 6686

I bit the bullet and ordered a Schuberth C3 from Germany. I know what you're saying about hassling with the shipping but this was very straight forward - 39e and it was shipped directly to me and arrived in about 2 weeks (or less) in perfect condition. Helmet is GREAT!

Jim

Hi Jim,

How does the C3 helmet fit? True to size?

I remember the C2 being a little tight across the forehead. Have read Schuberth helmets now fit more true to form.

Yes, they do fit true to size. I measured my head following the directions on Schuberth's web site and ordered based on that. Got a perfect fit.

LOVE my C3....

Jim

I have a C2 I picked up 2 years ago on a trip to Paris. Not inexpensive but I LOVE the helmet. Very comfortable. It replaces a C1 I got about 6 years ago when they were being sold in the US.

I wear a XL in a Shoe RF. The Schuberth XXL is a perfect fit for me. In addition to all it's other features, it's the only helmet I know of that allows you to move the face shield out about 1/2 inch providing great airflow in hot weather with the shield still in place.

And, Paris is a nice place to visit.

Roy

Thanks to the Greek financial meltdown, the Euro to USD exchange rate has dropped to about $1.27.

I just ordered a C3 from Germany in Neon Yellow. Total price at current exchange rate with DHL shipping, minus the 19% VAT was $550.00 USD.

New here, and first post. I just bought two Vemar modular helmets with Bluetooth. They are a fantastic helmet, with a nice snug fit. They worked pretty well on our first trip, in rain and wind. We pushed the helmets and the rest of our gear to the limit. We rode from Cape Cod MA, to MAX BMW in Hampton NH to trade our Triumph Rocket III Touring for our new 1200 RT. Was about a two hour trip to make the trade.

After taking ownership of the new RT, somehow it pulled us to the north up the NH coast, and into Portland ME. What a ride! (We did shed our lousy gear, for new BMW threads at MAX. What a pleasure to ride warm and dry!! My old Triumph jacket with external rain liner failed miserably, as the zipper seemed to welcome and water thrown at it.)

Two issues that we did have with the helmets, were that I had to close the vent in my mouth area as some rain water seemed to be getting in; it was torrential at times. Also the batteries in my wife's helmet didn't hold the charge for ten hours as the dealer and paperwork indicated.

My helmet had no issues in the battery area, but my wife's seemed to fall short. The only reasoning that I can figure is that the noise canceling microphone in her helmet may have been engaging more frequently as she had less wind protection.

When we got home the next day, and I charged the helmets I noticed that the light on her charger was blinking as it charged and mine was solid.

They both appear to have been fully charged at this point, as they both are showing a solid green light. We will see this weekend if the problem reoccurs. I know that with a couple of cordless power tools that I own, when the charger flashes during a charge the battery is spent.

The helmets do have a 5 year warranty, but what that exactly covers...well you know.

They are made in Italy, and English is not the first language in the book that the directions are translated in.

In addition, the helmets have a cool integrated sun shield. My wife is thrilled with this, as she wears glasses. She had little or no fogging for the first time in a long time, and the shield cleared her glasses with no issues.

They are expensive helmets at 500.00 each, but a nice Shoei helmet runs 400.00 with no Bluetooth capabilities. So far I would recommend these.

SAAB93driver

Can't go wrong with Schuberth but they are pricey (better now with weaker Euro). I've had both verions of the Concept and I currently use the Schuberth C2, I bought a spare C2 way back when and opened up the box last fall to put it in service.

I looked at the C3 last September when I was in Germany but decided to wait since I don't ride as much as I used to and still had a new C2 in the box. I'll get a C3 eventually either on a trip or mail order. I didn't want to do mail order without checking the fitment of the new model and I found the sizes run the same as the C2.

Archived