IGNORED

Pirelli Angel ST mileage

Krakken

I installed a set of Pirelli Angel ST tires on the 2005 R1200RT (front & rear) in December with 12,560 on the odo. (Yeah, I got an awesome deal on the bike with the low mileage :))

As I'm getting the bike ready for a trip up to Oregon I notice the rear tire seems to have picked up some concrete dust as I rolled it into the garage. Upon closer inspection, it isn't concrete dust, but tire cord showing through middle part of the centerline of the tire (the "chicken strip"). WTF? I only have 4,349 miles on these tires and the rear is shot already. The front is fine, natch, but the rear is toast. The GS is having the rear shock re-built, so no two-wheel riding for Dwight this weekend.

Gotta drive the truck, dammit.

The tires were purchased through Motorcycle Superstore in Medford, OR. I'll swing by there on my way back and see what they have to say. If I get the screw, I'll just need to pick up a new tire.

I know the tires are new, but if any of you have mileage reports on the Angels, I'd like to hear them. The tires feel and stick great, no complaints other than the mileage.

Dwight

LeftCoastMan

It's clear that tire mileage is is a perfect example of YMMV. It depends on your riding style, load, type of roads, and a bunch of other factors.

I road a set of Metzler Z6's for >11,000 miles, which seems to be just about what some people get, greater than what others get, and less than what other get. In other words, my riding style got me 11,000 miles on the tires.

The Pirelli Angel ST makes some claims at being the longest lasting tires, so maybe you'd get 3000 miles on some other tires. Or more. YMMV. Your tire life seems low, but if you search "tires" on here, you'll see that mileage bounces all over the place.

I doubt that anyone will replace them, but certainly try.

There are so many variables it is hard to compare mileage from one rider to the next. Tire pressure, aggressive riding, road surface, type of road-(super slab vs lots of curves), load that is being carried, it all matters on tire life.

CruisinCruzan

I've got a set that I will shortly be installing on my Duc GT1000, we'll see how long they lasts.

LeftCoastMan
What riding styles affect tire life what ways?

Ben

Two up vs. one up.

Tire pressure.

Type of roads.

Amount of luggage.

Tire pressure.

Speed.

That's thinking about it for about 30 seconds. There are probably another dozen or more variables.

What riding styles affect tire life what ways?

Ben

Assuming all else equal, riding twisties, and lot's of them, will absolutely destroy tires.

As a bike leans towards 45 degree angles, it approaches 1 lateral g of force applied against the sides of the tire- corner after corner after corner. I believe 1 g is about the equivalent of a full-on emergency brake.

Constant off-throttle engine braking on straights (to set up corner entry speed) eats the centers of tires. Roll-on through, and exiting, corners eats the sides (along with the lateral g component above).

Steady throttle highway miles are the easiest on tires.

Two examples of my ST tires ridden in of lots of twisties. The PR2 was run in the Northeast, while the Z6 on the BRP and Smokey Mtns. Needless to say, the latter has about 2x the number of corners as the NE.. and maybe a bit rougher road surface?

Bike 575lbs, rider 155, solo unladen, 37/40 psi F/R. Oh yeah, bike's got lots of low/mid range torque too.

PR2@4.7k

Z6@ 2.1k

Peter Parts

Interesting to read these good replies.

For sure, the balance of sticky versus durable of the tire model is foremost issue in longevity and with the dual-compound (which now includes the PR2s) being a kind of special case.

Of course load matters.

I'm not sure how tire pressure matters - no question that it does. I suppose it influences the size and shape of the contact patch. Perhaps also it is the heat from an under-inflated tire that makes the tire softer/stickier.

Twisties? In as much as I've never seen a tire more worn on the edges than in the dull old middle, that can't matter for longevity even if it can even-out the wear pattern. That also holds true for the dual-compound tires with soft/sticky sides.

Are we talking about jackrabbit starts and stops? Few riders can leave skid marks even intentionally and then only now and then.

So what about riding style influences tire life?

Ben

Footnote: I've been thinking about how to measure tire pressure. Cold pressure makes little sense but is the only standard used for predicting "riding temperature" pressure.

Twisties? In as much as I've never seen a tire more worn on the edges than in the dull old middle, that can't matter for longevity even if it can even-out the wear pattern. That also holds true for the dual-compound tires with soft/sticky sides.

Are we talking about jackrabbit starts and stops? Few riders can leave skid marks even intentionally and then only now and then.

So what about riding style influences tire life?

Are you suggesting that twisties don't matter for longevity? Not sure I understand, it means everything for my tire longevity, and most that I've seen. You understand the engine braking comment I made above, yes?

As far as "style" is concerned, FWIW, I'm a pure tight, technical, twisty-road, pace rider. Slow in, fast out, generally in the 40-60 mph range. Rarely use brakes, except at the end of the road, and maybe front, before entering downhill corner. Never start hard, or brake hard - it's just unnecessary wear and tear on the bike and flatspots tires. Always try to be as smooth as possible and get my butt off the seat on the inside for corners. Not interested at all in straight line speed or acceleration, just fast in the corners, and slow in the straights.

Paul In Australia

Hi

2008 RT 40,000 miles in exactly 2 years. My second set of Angle ST's Will get the same from the back as the last set - 8000 miles. I give them a fair work out. One up, long trips mostly back roads, higher than average ambient temps, 36 f/42 R. I weigh 200lbs.

I am happy with 8000m on the rear. Fronts you could add 3000, but I always change in sets.

if you are only getting 4000miles, check pressures, check balance, loose weight or stop hooning big time. Otherwise you have a lousy tyre.

regards

Paul

Few riders can leave skid marks even intentionally and then only now and then.

Ben

Interesting concept. I've left plenty of skid marks over the years. The majority have most definitely not been intentional i must add. :dopeslap:

Cheers

Steve

Peter Parts
Few riders can leave skid marks even intentionally and then only now and then.

Ben

Interesting concept. I've left plenty of skid marks over the years. The majority have most definitely not been intentional i must add. :dopeslap:

Cheers

Steve

Be sure to keep your health insurance fully paid up.

Perhaps it is the change in speed associated with the twisties that makes for wear, as dsl points out?

Maybe the lower-gearing (higher torque) used in curves as compared to leisurely constant-speed scenic touring (outside of superslab time, of course)?

My guess is that the main thing is the sticky tires used by sporty riders.

Of course, over at my least-favorite BMW-cafe-racer website, there is some competition to boast about how LITTLE miles each rider can get. One-upmanship with a comic effect. I seem to recall riders claiming 1500 mile lifetimes.

Ben

What about lack of twisties? The OP complained about center wear only. Lots of straight line highway concentrates wear in the center of the tread. If you ride primarily on curvy roads the mileage is spread out over the entire tire not just in the middle. Then what matters is if it is attacking corners or leisurely riding. All depends on the rider.

Low pressure causes more flex at the contact point and increases friction and heat accelerating wear.

I'm going to order a new, "RT specific" Angel for the rear, as well as a new Tourance for the back of the GS. Just to be fair, I'll give Pirelli a chance to do good. The front tire is fine, so I'll put on another rear and see how it goes. I'll keep you guys informed as to how the second one wears.

You all posted some excellent suggestions as to tire wear, so here are the circumstances about how this tire was treated.

Purchased new.

Installed by me.

"Light mark" aligned with tire valve.

I did not balance the tire.

20% ridden two-up.

I'm anal about tire pressure, increase/decrease depending on load as per the manual.

Pressures checked at least twice a week. (I'm a bicycle guy)

No wheelies or burnouts, but ridden aggressively. The sides of the tire are fine.

I weigh 180, pillion 130.

That's about it. We'll see how the next Angel fares.

Dwight

Please keep us posted, Dwight. I've been very interested in a set of these tires myself, but I don't want to have to change them with the oil. :)

• 1 month later...
bmurphypdx

Don't forget temperature as a factor. I seem to get great mileage from tires up here in the cool PNW. Took a trip around the U.S. a couple of years back and the desert heat seemed to make a big difference on tire wear (of course the road composition may have been different too). I see the OP lives in Ridgecrest CA, 99F today with temps over 100F later this week.

Archived