IGNORED

Tires

Thumper

There are specs in the manual. As I recall, they recommend a minimum tread depth of 2mm (~0.089"). Also (again as I recall) the US required a minimum tread depth of 0.060" (~1.5mm).

Again, I recall that the US tread depth can be checked by a penny. Keep the tread depth above the bottom of Lincoln's figure...

I bought my 96 R850 with 11.4k and the tires are dead. The rear has a nasty flat section down the center that makes cornering interesting. A new set of Z6s arrive tomorrow. thumbsup.gif

313-Matt

Minimum legal tread depth in Virginia is 2/32 inch. If you put a penny in the tread and can see the top of Lincoln's head, it's nearly time for new rubber.

At 10,000 miles, you have probably gotten as many miles out of your tires as most of us expect on an RT. If you buy new ones, it will feel almost like a new motorcycle.

Just turned 10,000 miles on my R 1150 RT. What is the expected life of tires, and what are the indicators of one needing new tires?

That's real good tire life, what are they?

confused.gif

Bob

I just put a new tire up front

I bought the bike with 26K on the meter

It has 49k on it now.

That front tire lasted what 23K

It was flat wore out though

flat on the top and at two angles from there.

Really odd looking wear pattern.

Who ever said that new tires make the bike feel Brand New Aint kidding clap.gif

This things a hoot again. I can finally hang left hand curve again.

Matt,

Got down and really looked - - - you know, checking Lincoln's head - - - saw that my left side of front was cupped - - - now know that the vibration I have felt on tight lefties is a result of tire wear, not bearing disintegration. I NEED new tires!

Thanks for your input.

Thumper

thumbsup.gif

Steve,

More scrutiny leads to more disconcerting info. You are correct in your assessment and I am ordering new tires. Thanks for your help.

Thumper

thumbsup.gif

Bob,

Bridgestone - Battlax

Am thinking to replace with Metzger 880's. Any recommendations? Would you stick with the Bridgestones?

Thumper

BMT,

Ok, what's knackered?

Thumper confused.gif

Knackered is British slang for any or all of:

1) broken, 2) totally worn out, 3) very tired, 4) in trouble.

In this context your tyres are #2, if you don't change them you will be #4 grin.gif

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Leave it to a Brit to tell it straight! Glad our Franco brothers have patience with a dumb Yank.

Thanks!

Now, Metzeler or replace with Bridgestone?

Thumper

I have BT020's on my RT and they work well for me. The newer compounds however, seem to be wearing faster. I am thinking about trying Pirelli Dragons next time, just for a change grin.gif

By the way, BMT (Nick) is a Brit now living in France, good food, cheap wine, better weather. I can't see why he left grin.gif

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Andy,

On another subject - you and I own the same bike, model, year and color - - - - - mine sounds like a tractor when idling, and sometimes coughs and dies at slow speed maneuvers. This leaves me in a turn without power - - - - not good. My BMW mechanic says that he thinks there is an ECU problem, but has not recommended a replacement.

How does yours sound when idling? Is it rough? Smooth? Do you ever have the same problem? Was at the RA rally last week in Tennessee - - - - was told by some I talked with that my bike just needs to be set at a higher idle speed.

Not ready to buy that. If you tell me yours is smooth, what is your idle rpm? If you tell me that yours is smooth, and it is low, I am planning to go ballistic with the dealer/BMW Motorrad. Or if you have other insight, it would be appreciated.

Appreciate your communications.

Alan

That sounds like poor Throttle Body synch. My bike (at 26K miles) idles smoothly at a tough over 1000 rpm (apart from a slight cam-belt knock, but they all tend to do that)

Beg borrow or steal (or make) a balancing tool (twinmax, carbstix or water manometer) and check/set the synch yourself. A quick search on TBS should find a walkthrough. It is easy to do, and a home mechanic can spend the time to get it spot-on, not just in the rather wide BMW spec.

Cya, Andy

Bugsquawsher,

Thanks for the perspective. What are your replacements?

Thumper

I had those Michellin Pilots on there

I now have the Metzlers 880s

Nice tires. Dont' know about there Life yet. But the back ones been on there around 6k and still looks good.

That makes 3 of us that has the same year, model, and color!

I just took the stock Z4's off of my bike at the RA rally with 10.5k miles on them and about another 1000 on the tread. However, since i was heading back to NY in uncertain weather, i decided to get new sneakers for the beast. After discussion with my good friend the Tire Nazi; i opted for the Avon Sports Tourers (AV-45 and 46 if i remember correctly). They were great on the way home.

and mine rattles a bit at idle too. But then i am coming up on the 12k service.

sdc

That makes 3 of us that has the same year, model, and color!

I just took the stock Z4's off of my bike at the RA rally with 10.5k miles on them and about another 1000 on the tread. However, since i was heading back to NY in uncertain weather, i decided to get new sneakers for the beast. After discussion with my good friend the Tire Nazi; i opted for the Avon Sports Tourers (AV-45 and 46 if i remember correctly). They were great on the way home.

and mine rattles a bit at idle too. But then i am coming up on the 12k service.

sdc

I tried the AV45-46 (Azaro ST) and whereas they were very good in terms of ride and feel when new, they were a bit vague when worn and so noisy I thought my final drive bearing had failed.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Thumper:

I'm a big fan of the ME880. Long life and good enough grip. I am unusual in that I run the Bias Ply 880's recommended for the LT, the Radials are recommended for the RT. I had an LT and was very impressed with the mileage I got from these tires. I agree that it sounds like a TBS problem causing your stalling.

Bob

Archived