IGNORED

mid-range (re cost) GPS that will cover FS roads?!?

Doug 55

"So many GPS, so little time" (and of course only so many $ to spend :grin:)

Thanks in advance for any recommendations regarding a mid-range re cost* GPS that would have coverage for (WA / Western US) forest service roads and, if possible, also be water resistant

* not sure what mid-range means ... I guess $ 200 - 300 vs. some of the really high end units?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

It is derided here and elsewhere but my Tomtom Rider II picks up the roads around Georgetown just fine. Going to use it again tomorrow. I even had it show me the route from near Union Valley Reservoir (hwy 50) to Soda Springs (I 80) via the high country. It also shows the dualsport roads out near Clearlake and Fort Bragg.

If it has those loaded, I'm guessing its got WA also.

ebay has them for around 200+, ubid or overstock auctions had them also.

You might want to download Tripmaster software to track routes since the TTR doesn't do that.

cali_beemer

For me its gotta be a Garmin. Normally I would recomend the 2730 but they dont make that one anymore and the refurb deals are gone too. Now I gotta recomend a Zumo 550. (I have owned both)

I looked at the rider 2 but after owning a TomTom (wifes GPS) I wont buy another one. Very weak POI library, extremely slow, poor reception, awfull routing....The tomtom rider may be better so I cant comment on that particular unit. However the one I own isnt a cheap model so I cant imagine the rider being much better. In my opinion there is a reason why the rider has never caught on like the Zumo.

See if you can find a Nuvi 500.

Waterproof and loaded with both City Navigator and Topo mapsets.

Have been spotted as low as $150 refurbed,

Can get Touratech and RAM mounts for this unit.

JR356

Thanks JR356 and all for your advice.

I just now ordered a new Garmin Nuvi 550 from Amazon / Beach Electronics for $ 226

Archived