IGNORED

Cyclegadgets.com

Toad

I just had a really bad experience with Kisan, CycleGadgets, and Paypal over a purchase of a Headlight modulator P115-AW-Z for my R1200RT. I purchased it from CycleGadgets.com where I have purchased things in the past.

When I got the modulator it did not work, I received a RA from CycleGadgets and sent it back. They credited me less shipping handling and 15% restocking fee. For a defective unit! I was not happy about this so they said to contact Kisan. I have sent messages to Kisan and they never respond.

So I filed a claim with PayPal and Cyclegadgets responded to them that I returned because I changed my mind, returned with out getting an RA and so too bad. All of that from Cyclgadets is false. I have written proof of emails and date and time stamped receipts from UPS.

Paypal will do nothing because they can only protect if "something was not sent". Cyclegadgets is misrepresenting the facts, and Kisan does not respond. So, I am out about $27 for a defective headlight modulator!

I recommend not doing business with Cyclegadgets.com as they will lie to protect their deceptive business practices. Kisan will not even grant the courtesy of a response. PayPal does not protect the buyer other than to be sure something was shipped to the PayPal customer.

I am fairly angry at this situation but am being stonewalled.

Marty Hill

Many of us know the owners of cycle gadgets/I'd like to hear what they have to say as I find this very difficult to believe. I'll call them on monday and let them know of this post so we can hear the rest of the story.

I agree with Marty. I've purchased many things from them and called them for advice, always with great service. I hope it's just a misunderstanding.

I've had nothing but good dealings with Cyclegadgets so am also unwilling to judge them without their input on the subject.

moshe_levy

+1 on positive experiences with Cyclegadgets.

Toad, that modulator won't work properly anyway, because the connector isn't properly locking. There was a long thread about this recently.

-MKL

cali_beemer

My kissan unit for my 1200RT went bad as well....I dont think too highly of kissan, the majority of people I have met with their stuff have had problems, including myself. As for cyclegadgets, I will attest to their customer service. I ordered a part, one they actually make and they ran out. They rushed to make more in order to make sure the shipping of my parts were on time. I cant imagine they would charge a restocking fee on a defective item. However, if it just didnt work, why not get a replacemtn instead of money back? In a sense, it seems like you did change your mind.

Firefight911

Another very happy cyclegadgets customer scratching his head in disbelief over this one.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story.

+10 on Cycle Gadgets. Sean Franklin, who with wife Laurene own CG, was one of the early members of this website. In fact, I remember when they talked to our (then) small group about their dream of servicing the needs of the sport/touring market. The number of rave reviews they've received here, and on other websites, is overwhelming.

All this is not to negate your experience. But it does show why we'd like to hear their side of it, too.

As for Kisan, when I managed parts and accessories at a BMW dealer, I ordered Kisan products on an as-needed basis. Stocking their products was out of the question. Returning or exchanging things always was met with great resistance, and you had to get the approval of the owner (I think his name was Andy) and you could never get him on the phone. And if a customer had a problem, it was always the customer's fault, according to Kisan. They never accepted responsibility for ANYTHING.

Today, whatever Kisan has that I can do without, I do without. It's not that their stuff isn't generally good. It's that when it's not, neither are they.

I would also like to know why they behaved this way. I have all the documents supporting my story. They chose to fabricate their own story. I have done business with them in the past and never had any problem as well.

However, when the defective product came to me they reacted inappropriately.

I recently had a problem with a Kisan headlight modulator.

Andy called me after I left two voicemails and said he would send a replacement modulator and asked me to return the old one. The new one didn't fit the stock BMW part, but I realized I could fix it by filing down two metal tabs. If I hadn't realized the problem, I would have broken it trying to force into place, or I would have had to return both modulators.

In the end, all is working fine, but I don't feel they have much in the way of quality control.

+1 on positive experiences with Cyclegadgets.

Toad, that modulator won't work properly anyway, because the connector isn't properly locking. There was a long thread about this recently.

-MKL

Then why does Cyclegadgets even sell it? and since they do sell it and it proves defective why dont they respect the customer and properly accept returns?

Cycle Gadgets sponsored breakfast at the first UN in Gunnison. They have supported the bmwrt.com (sporttouring.com) community from the very beginning. They have provided me personally with service that is above and beyond what I expect from any vendor. I suspect that if you give Sean and Laurene the chance to make this right they will.

My kissan unit for my 1200RT went bad as well....I dont think too highly of kissan, the majority of people I have met with their stuff have had problems, including myself. As for cyclegadgets, I will attest to their customer service. I ordered a part, one they actually make and they ran out. They rushed to make more in order to make sure the shipping of my parts were on time. I cant imagine they would charge a restocking fee on a defective item. However, if it just didnt work, why not get a replacemtn instead of money back? In a sense, it seems like you did change your mind.

Well, I read about an improperly locking connector on this board and determined, that since mine did not work and apparently in general they have an engineering flaw, I would not want to use the modulator.

Cycle Gadgets sponsored breakfast at the first UN in Gunnison. They have supported the bmwrt.com (sporttouring.com) community from the very beginning. They have provided me personally with service that is above and beyond what I expect from any vendor. I suspect that if you give Sean and Laurene the chance to make this right they will.

I hope they do. I have asked for them to make things right but so far they have declined.

I was down in AK in April and stopped at CG. After talking, I walked around the warehouse and noticed stock was not what it was a year before.

Then after some others got out during the rains we found out that they are in the process of tring to sell the company. They still want to be involved but want to do other things.

Maybe this will give you some insight.

I've always had great customer service, but this time I was looking for a SM-5 and they didn't have stock.

Paul Mihalka
I've had nothing but good dealings with Cyclegadgets so am also unwilling to judge them without their input on the subject.

+1

cali_beemer

Well, I read about an improperly locking connector on this board and determined, that since mine did not work and apparently in general they have an engineering flaw, I would not want to use the modulator.

So you did change your mind on wanting the product then...? It sounds like you didnt give them the opportunity to replace it it with a propely working one becasue you read somethign on the internet. Am I missing something here? Maybe you should have reaserched this on the internet beofre making your purchase.

Guess things change in time but my dealings with Kisan and CG have been great. Kisan was very helpful and timely. Go figger.

moshe_levy

+1 - After my thread on the Kisan modulator here, they were very helpful and refunded me in full on my purchase when I returned it. On all my other BMWs, I've had Kisan products and never had an issue. Andy has always been friendly with me.

My point in bringing up the connector issue is to tell you, you aren't missing anything by not having this modulator. I'm a proponent of modulators and wrote extensively on them for MCN, but the Kisan design for the R1200RT features a connector which does not have a locking mechanism, and thus can easily come loose and leave you suddenly with no headlights. It is not a suitable product to consider for the RT until that issue is addressed, which I understand is an issue with AMP refusing to supply the appropriate connectors to Kisan without some obscene minimum quantity buy that they'd never be able to justify based on modulator sales. I devoted about 10 hours of engineering time at work to try to find alternate connectors for Andy, but came up short. It's not an easy problem to solve, in this case.

-MKL

Placed an order with Cycle Gadgets about a year ago, but it didn't get delivered. They were very quick to respond and had UPS initiate an inquiry. I still have the emails, they responded to my questions within hours every time (4 in one week). Turned out UPS had delivered it to my neighbor's who were out of town, so it all got resolved once they returned. I would do business with CG again in a heartbeat based on their responsiveness to my inquiries.

+whatever on Cycle Ggadgets. I've ordered lots of stuff from them.

I will say that if they charged you a restocking fee, it sounds as though you didn't want the corrective solution (a replacement) and now you are whining about the "cost" of your decision. Not trying to be an arse, but just sayin'.

Kisan seems to have lots of problems and maybe Cycle Gadgets should take note.

I recently had a problem with a Kisan headlight modulator.

Andy called me after I left two voicemails and said he would send a replacement modulator and asked me to return the old one. The new one didn't fit the stock BMW part, but I realized I could fix it by filing down two metal tabs. If I hadn't realized the problem, I would have broken it trying to force into place, or I would have had to return both modulators.

In the end, all is working fine, but I don't feel they have much in the way of quality control.

Dude, you've got a modualtor?

Good thing I can't catch up so I guess I'll be seeing tail lights as usual and not the flashing headlight.

Kisan?

Had numerous products back in the Boxer days.

Never a problem.

Cycle Gadgets?

Never a problem.

Guess I'm going to wait and see.

Tell me what I should think:

In the sellers (Cyclegadgets.com) recent response they state 2 things as follows:

1) The return authorization listed "changed mind" as the reason for return. On May 1, 2010 9:31:34 PM CDT I wrote "Please authorize a return for the item from the order above. SKU #KIS-P115W-A6-Z.I installed the item and can not get it to work." in an email.

2) They (Cyclegadgets.com) state: Unit was returned to us prior to receiving a Return authorization. RA was created after customer told us package was en route to us.On May 3, 2010 1:11:38 PM CDT a return authorization number was sent to me. Further I have a USPS tracking number 9102148008600767286818 and receipt showing this was sent on May 3, 2010 at 5:10 PM. This is after the RA number was received.

So clearly the position they state is not accurate. I received a defective unit, asked for return, received proper RA and am not being credited with the full price of the defective item they sent. Now they are being larcenous in their response. Please have them respect the customer and refund the additional $27.48 which they owe me.

PS: I have full documentation if required.

A couple of things to consider. First is that you may have been dealing with an employee who either is not authorized, or who made a mistake and is CYA about what actually happened. I know Sean and Laurene would take care of you.

Second, it's always interesting in these threads to see how many people have similar experiences as well as very different experiences. YMMV is truly in effect here. However, no one person's opinion will do you as much good as a phone call to one of the owners. Try that and get back to us.

I know Sean and Laurene would take care of you.

I spoke with Laurene yesterday and made her aware of this thread. I won't go into what I learned but suffice it to say there are always two sides to every story. As others have pointed out, Sean and Laurene are first-class folks providing first-class service. If you will take the time to call Laurene this week and speak to her about this, politely and professionally, I believe you will get your answers and will be able to come to a resolution. Trashing them in an internet forum isn't going to resolve anything and in this case especially, you won't find many who will side with you because we know first-hand about the folks at Cyclegadgets.

Marty Hill

Thanks to all who +1'd me. Tasker, thanks you saved me a call which I could not make till monday. Happy that so many of us really know them! :thumbsup:

I spoke with Laurene yesterday and made her aware of this thread. I won't go into what I learned but suffice it to say there are always two sides to every story. As others have pointed out, Sean and Laurene are first-class folks providing first-class service. If you will take the time to call Laurene this week and speak to her about this, politely and professionally, I believe you will get your answers and will be able to come to a resolution. Trashing them in an internet forum isn't going to resolve anything and in this case especially, you won't find many who will side with you because we know first-hand about the folks at Cyclegadgets.

Well we will see what happens. I am on my way to Estonia later today to visit one of my factories. So I can not call this week as you suggest.

I just left a polite and professional voice mail for Laurene explaining the situation. We will see how they respond.

moshe_levy

I want to express my sincere appreciation for this board right here. Contrary to so many other boards, both the customers and the vendors seem to be given fair shake here. No angry mob mentality on either side - plenty of reasonable debate and disagreement, but no rapid jumps to conclusion. It's really good to be here.

-MKL

That's a good price for a modulator, but I don't see any indication that it has the federally-mandated photosensor, which limits operation to daytime hours. Also, I'd note that modern BMW electronics have a problem with many modulators, shooting you a burnt bulb indication once they start modulating. If these things are indeed not concerns with the JC Whitney product, it's a great deal.

That's a good price for a modulator, but I don't see any indication that it has the federally-mandated photosensor, which limits operation to daytime hours. Also, I'd note that modern BMW electronics have a problem with many modulators, shooting you a burnt bulb indication once they start modulating. If these things are indeed not concerns with the JC Whitney product, it's a great deal.

Mike: You are correct there is no photosensor, you have to install it with a by-pass switch or a switch and relay and possess the mental capacity to turn it off at night.

When I posted this I forgot about the CANBUS thing. You can take Ratfink out of the 20th century but you can't take the 20th century out of Ratfink.

Well we will see what happens. I am on my way to Estonia later today to visit one of my factories. So I can not call this week as you suggest.

I just left a polite and professional voice mail for Laurene explaining the situation. We will see how they respond.

Just to keep you alll updated. Tuesday afternoon here and I have had NO RESPONSE from anyone at CycleGadgets.com. Now what conclusion am I to draw?

They seem totally unresponsive.

You want them to call you in Estonia?

actually no. I don't have a phone number here. They do have my email address and phone number where they could leave a message.

Since they are aware of the thread, and since you posted you would be unable to reply this week, perhaps they were waiting for you to be able to do so.

It would seem as if something in your schedule may have changed allowing you to do so.

Since they are aware of the thread, and since you posted you would be unable to reply this week, perhaps they were waiting for you to be able to do so.

It would seem as if something in your schedule may have changed allowing you to do so.

Well I hope so but this is frustrating!

They have misrepresented facts and seemingly do not answer my requests.

I'm sorry but what other conclusion can I draw?

Firefight911

Well I hope so but this is frustrating!

They have misrepresented facts and seemingly do not answer my requests.

I'm sorry but what other conclusion can I draw?

All I can do is look at your avatar and, well, I draw conclusions too.

russell_bynum
I just had a really bad experience with Kisan, CycleGadgets, and Paypal over a purchase of a Headlight modulator P115-AW-Z for my R1200RT. I purchased it from CycleGadgets.com where I have purchased things in the past.

When I got the modulator it did not work, I received a RA from CycleGadgets and sent it back. They credited me less shipping handling and 15% restocking fee. For a defective unit! I was not happy about this so they said to contact Kisan. I have sent messages to Kisan and they never respond.

So I filed a claim with PayPal and Cyclegadgets responded to them that I returned because I changed my mind, returned with out getting an RA and so too bad. All of that from Cyclgadets is false. I have written proof of emails and date and time stamped receipts from UPS.

Paypal will do nothing because they can only protect if "something was not sent". Cyclegadgets is misrepresenting the facts, and Kisan does not respond. So, I am out about $27 for a defective headlight modulator!

I recommend not doing business with Cyclegadgets.com as they will lie to protect their deceptive business practices. Kisan will not even grant the courtesy of a response. PayPal does not protect the buyer other than to be sure something was shipped to the PayPal customer.

I am fairly angry at this situation but am being stonewalled.

Consider it bad karma for buying a f***ing headlight modulator.

:grin:

FWIW, I've spent quite a bit of money with CycleGadgets over the years (first order with them was in 2001, so this goes back quite a ways) and have never been anything but completely and totally 100% satisfied with the experience.

Wonder why the merchant hasn't posted "the other side of the story" here, as many others have done when wrongfully accused? It would certainly seem to be in their best interest to set the record straight rather than leaving potential customers wondering what really happened.... :lurk:

Firefight911
Wonder why the merchant hasn't posted "the other side of the story" here, as many others have done when wrongfully accused? It would certainly be in their best interest to set the record straight rather than leaving potential customers wondering what really happened.... :lurk:

.... or, they chose to deal with matters of business in a personal, off camera fashion outside of the spotlight of the public who is not informed to the full extent of the circumstance or situation.

I, for one, applaud their not making this a he said/she said spectacle. Let the OP post to his heart's content. His credibility, IMO, is already in question. Let the situation be resolved in a proper business fashion. This, IMO, doe not include always posting it to the public forum for arm chair quarter backing where facts are sparse and conjecture reign.

Marty Hill

Thanks Phil. Of course you are 100% right. After 10 years of serving hundreds of us well, they have no need to defend themselves against ???

Archived