IGNORED

PR 2 Report

johnlt

I just checkout out my PR 2s for wear. I also have a new set in the garage for the run up to the UN so I can really compare the new with the current. I have 4K miles on the PR 2s at this point in time. The new PR 2 have 4mm tread in front and 6mm in the rear my 4K old pr 2s have 3mm in the front and 4mm in the rear (3mm to the TWI) so assuming a linear wear rate, that will give ~10K to the wear bar. Not sure the linear wear rate is a valid assumption but that is still much better than I have ever gotten with Z6s. FYI

Firefight911

I have 6000 on my rear PR2 and it is just a hair over half worn. My front 2CT is the same, maybe just a bit more wear than the rear.

I'm calling an 8000 mile life at this point!

Oh, and happy as a clam with them!

I have two 07 RT's (wife's and mine). I converted mine from the PR's to the PRII's a couple tire changes ago. Wife's still has the PR's but I will convert hers to the II's next time.

The difference in wear patterns between the 2 bikes is quite remarkable, and lives up to the mfgr's claims. At tread mid-life, the wife's PR's are noticeably squared off while the PRII's still have a rounded profile. There is also quite a difference in handling at tread mid-life. The squared-off PR's are "notchy" in turns, the bike wanting to stand back up when leaned. The PRII's are linear and smooth leaning into turns, feeling more "on rails".

IMHO, the II's work pretty much as advertised and are worth the price premium. For me, I don't see a huge difference in tread mileage but the handling alone is worth the difference to me. :thumbsup:

Replaced my PR 2's at 15,000 km. Would have kept them for at another 3,000 km if didn't get a rear puncture and I wasn't riding to Arizona at the end of June. For a sport touring tire you get pretty good mileage.

I got about 5k off my PR2s, but I guess that's about all I can expect from an ST tire. In that regard, they are good tires.

My only complaint is the dual compound on the fronts, if you ride a reasonable amount of twisties "V" profiling on the front is usually a problem. The dual compound on the front just makes it that much worse making for some interesting handling characteristics.

LeftCoastMan

Just a rant. I wish we would stick with metric. The OP was measuring depth in mm (which is what most of us would do). I saw 4K (didn't see the miles, because I skip words in reading quickly), assumed it was 4000 km, and then thinking, I'm not impressed, and I have a new pair of PR2's on my bike.

Metric is so much easier to use. Oh well. Small rant done.

Good info however. I'm getting confident that the PR2's are going to do about the same as my Z6's, which got me over 18000 km. :)

We measure 4.5mm front and 7mm rear on new tires.

Jan, I just went out to the garage and checked my unmounted new ones again with a tread-depth guage and got 4mm on the front and 6mm on the rear over a half dozen different treads near the middle and they all came out the same plus/minus a tenth. The guage is one given to me by Blain from SW moto tires a couple years ago and I haven't actually calibrated it so it might be off a little.

Kathy and I get at least 9000 on PR2's (1150 & 1200 RT's)....Could stetch to more but we opt to change both when the front gets down below 2/32....Sorry, my depth guage is in 32nds, not mm's...

As stated before, PR2's start with 5/32 front and 8/32 rear.....I like the honeymoon period with new tires before they start to get wear profiles :grin:

We measure 4.5mm front and 7mm rear on new tires.

Jan, I just went out to the garage and checked my unmounted new ones again with a tread-depth guage and got 4mm on the front and 6mm on the rear over a half dozen different treads near the middle and they all came out the same plus/minus a tenth. The guage is one given to me by Blain from SW moto tires a couple years ago and I haven't actually calibrated it so it might be off a little.

I'll check my gauge. Thanks!

Archived