IGNORED

Hip pad mod to Roadcrafter pants

johnlt

I recently purchased a two piece Aerostich Roadcrafter suit but there were a couple things I didn't like about them so made changes. First, I didn't like the drawstring waist, I prefer a belt so I removed the drawstring and added a nice stich belt. Works great. Second, I didn't like the hip pads for two reasons. They are too bulky for one and when installed, the access zipper for getting to your first layer pants was right in the middle of the hip pad so it was useless. I found some much thinner non-foam hip pads and cut them in half. Then I added velcrow to the pants and the hip pads and installed them leaving a small gap where the zipper was. This works great. I can get to the pockets of my levis with no problem and they are not bulky at all. Probably a little less protection but worth the compromise for me. Here's a pic:

868482500_HRhBp-L.jpg

I use the Darien pants with the RC jacket. You can use a belt.

They are lighter and they will fit around/over MX boots.

Clever.

The hip pads in my Roadcrafter are probably the biggest downside of the whole suit. In fact, when I ordered it in the store in Duluth, the sales lady almost discouraged me from adding the hip pads because she said they make access to pants pockets too hard.

Larry, I almost went that route also but like the lining on the inside of the Roadcrafter better. The roadcrafter is a little more tailored leg that I doubt would go over MX boots but do fine over my Stich combat boots.

Archived