IGNORED

Anyone have the new BMW Airflow 3 Boots?

RichEdwards

RichEdwards

My BMW Airflow 2 Boots are shot and I'm thinking about the new version, the Airflow 3. The Airflow 2 was cool but not too durable. Any knowledge of the Airflow 3's out there?

RichEdwards

I saw them at the "Riding into History" event at St. Augustine and they look more substantial (especially in the heel area) and have better venting.

AirFlow3.gif

RichEdwards

Well....since nobody gave a response on these boots, I assumed it was my duty as a loyal BMWST.com board member to buy a pair and evaluate them. I did so about two hours ago and rode home in them. Analysis to follow... :eek:

I got a pair a week ago. They let a lot of air in and help to keep me cooler in the Florida heat. They are lightweight and do not offer the protection of a heavier boot but you can feel the air on your feet. Thumbs up IMHO.

RichEdwards

Here's my take on the BMW Airflow 2 vs. the BMW Airflow 3 boots:

1. The Airflow 2 boots are a bit lighter and cooler.

2. The 2's have a lousy heel that wears out in no time. Since the heel is hollow, this can be a big problem (it was for me.) The 2's are also more flexible, which is o.k. for a walking boot but not as protective for a motorcycle boot.

3. The Airflow 3's are more substantial. The heel is more prominent now and should last a whole lot longer. Also, the 3's are an inch taller providing more protection. The toebox is much more solid than the toebox on the 2's. The protection offered on the 3's is very close to that found on my heavier Sidi and Alpinestar boots.

4. Fit and comfort appear to be the same for both models. The price remains about the same for both...$229 (but you may get a discount at your dealer...I did.)

BMW may have responded to consumer feedback on these boots (is that possible?) Give us an "airboot" that provides a cooling airflow but retains the protection and durability of my other motorcycle boots. These boots seem to succeed in doing just that.

Thanks for that review, Rich. Good stuff.

I like my 2's but haven't tried the new model.

I have the non airflow BMW boots and love 'em. They are 14 years old, one resole, and still waterproof and going strong.

Where I live it's only about 6 weeks per season where I'm really wishing for cooler boots. Do you find enough of a difference to warrant two sets of boots?

RichEdwards
Do you find enough of a difference to warrant two sets of boots?

Vinny...Being a Long Islander for most of my life, I know what you mean. But now I'm a Floridian and the Airflow Boots are nearly as important to comfort as my mesh jacket and pants. But they are not waterproof, so if I'm going out when the forecast calls for rain or if I'm taking a long trip, I stay with my waterproof boots. And the Airflow boots are not needed in Florida during the winter. Indeed, this winter brought many days when the temps started out in the 40's or 50's.

Archived