IGNORED

Year Round Heated Riding Suit??

AdirondackJack

AdirondackJack

I have a Gerbings Cascade Extreme "plug-in" heated jacket/pants combination. The suit is armored and pretty heavy. It's pretty well made , other than a couple snaps that needed replacing too soon and the sleeve lining catches that have to be re-sewn periodically. The suit is armored and seems to be wearing pretty well.

I have noticed that even with removing the lining and unzipping the vents in the summer time, the suit is way too hot for summer riding. My concern is that if I go on a really long trip where the weather is alternately warm and cold (summer in the mountains), I can't use this as my only 'long-trip' riding suit. It's too bulky to bring along as an extra, so here's the question:

Is there a riding suit which is mesh and which will be cool for summer riding, but which I can use a lining/Gerbings heated under layer for when it gets uncharacteristically cold all of a sudden in the mountains on a long summer trip? I would love to hear how others have solved this dilemma??? Thanks in advance. Dave R.

A mesh 3 layer jacket (Olympia, TourMaster et al.) is one way.

mesh

rain

thermal

substitute Gerbings for thermal.

What we do is

Rain jacket

mesh

Gerbings

I've got the same Cascade Extreme suit and found much of what you say is true. It is way too hot in the summer and mine has gone back for Velcro stitching issues where it comes apart. Sewing is not first class on it compared to some of the BMW gear sewn elsewhere. It's been gathering dust in the closet now for a couple of years. Might make a better snowmobile suit than a motorcycle one. GoreTex stuff just doesn't cut it above 95 degrees and it's a sauna above 105.

Go with a mesh armored jacket as Tallman suggests with some sort of thin heated liner. You could ScotchGuard that if needed if you think you'll be in any heavy rain.

Jazzy

markgoodrich

Warm n Safe has a heated jacket specifically made for mesh jackets, i.e. it's windproof. I think.

I just purchased the cascade extreme and am happy with it, BUT if it is too warm as you have stated for summer heat I will use a my first gear armoured mesh with a light liner that takes up almost no space, a pair of Hien Gearke (spelling)?? pants with armour & a ruberized liner that also takes up very little space.

If concerned that it may not be warm enough the gnew gerbing mico fibre electrics compress into a compact roll up package. Walls two piece rain suit works well over the mesh outfit , they also roll up quite compact. the walls & mesh worked very well coming accros from Tampa to texas in June of 05 in a major rain of two days duration. Sid on roads for booots & aerostitch over gloves outside of light light venelated gloves.

Base layer - synthetic T

Possible intermediate- synthetic long sleeve turtleneck for really cold ones

Electric jacket (can be non electric if not really cold- for that I carry a RoadGear with phase change material because it packs small.)

Mesh jacket (mine is a Rev it Turbine)

External rain gear (NOT liner! Mine are GoreTex because they work, pack small and breath. Stay away from all vinyl or urethane lined rain gear which does not breath and is nearly impossible to don quickly roadside)

Never found one suit that truly works from below freezing to 100. For winter I switch over to a 3/4 length jacket with removable insulating liner.

Is there a riding suit which is mesh and which will be cool for summer riding, but which I can use a lining/Gerbings heated under layer for when it gets uncharacteristically cold all of a sudden in the mountains on a long summer trip? I would love to hear how others have solved this dilemma???

Yes. Aerostich.

AdirondackJack

has anyone used Motoport/Cycleport's Kevlar Ultramesh II riding gear? I'm told that in combination with heated liners, this suit works well year round.

ShovelStrokeEd

In Florida, we have summer heat from April to November. I travel quite a bit on the bike and do get to northern climes where I may encounter temps down into the high 20's. Nothing beats a 'stitch for versatility. Worn in the low 100's with UnderArmor shorts and a tee and a wet vest I remain comfy. Worn in the high 20's with UnderArmor sweats and a Gerbings jacket with a sweatshirt over top and I remain comfy.

It's not perfect in rain, particularly cold rain as it will not stay dry in a long deluge. In the heat, I go looking for rain.

Mine no longer fits as I have lost >85 lbs in the last couple of years but, I am considering another.

AdirondackJack

Thanks for all the input all! Think I've decided to give Cycleport a whirl. Having been a leo in days gone by and seeing that many motorcycle-mounted leos are using the Cycleport Ultra mesh II Kevlar suits with great satisfaction, I thought I'd go for it. Will report back when suit gets here in about a week and I've had a chance to try it out. Cheers, and thanks again! Dave R.

Archived