IGNORED

Mapsource route: how to "snip" section

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

I created a long route and want to break it into two or more separate sections. I've searched the Help and Mapsource manual, don't see how to do it... :dopeslap:

TIA...

Mark,

There may be a better way but I've done this in the past. Take the original route and duplicate it. In the duplicated route, add a waypoint where you want that leg to end. Now just delete all the other via or waypoints and recalculate. You can repeat for each segment. Sometimes I like to leave the original (long) route in place just as a reference to the entire length even if I'm not going to ride it. Maybe someone else has a more elegant way of doing it.

Another but similar approach... You can have multiple instances of MapSource open at once... In your ‘master’ route properties copy the small subset of waypoints you want in a new smaller route, then in the other instance of MapSource paste them into a new route.

Keep the original (long) route. Create additional routes using a subset of the waypoints of the long route. The last multi-day trip I took had the whole route and each day had its own route using the waypoints from the entire route. When you are working in Mapsource just do a Ctrl-R to create another route. Mapsource will give you a selection of waypoints to choose from.

markgoodrich

Well, one or more of these (inelegant, thanks, Garmin) techniques worked on the routes I had created, but I can't subdivide a route which was emailed to me. Only a few via points, and my routing preferences apparently don't match the sender's, i.e. when I copy via points and paste into a new route, the auto-routing feature results in a different, uh, path. Dammit. This shouldn't be such a PITA.

But thanks, guys, the suggestions did help.

EDIT: changing my routing preferences popped up the correct path; had to guess at the sender's preferences (only because he's not handy).

Archived