IGNORED

Cycle Pump Tire Inflator

tchap

I'm considering purchasing a Cycle Pump from Best Rest Products,

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-10-cyclepump.aspx

Looks like a pretty good item but they aren't cheap. Anyone have experience with them?

$100 is a lot (they offer a small discount to AMA members) but I'd rather spend the money on something reliable than drop $40 on something that blows up half way through the first use.

Thanks for any feed back!

I've had a CyclePump since 2006. It's a quality piece of kit, although bulkier than the Slime pump. It fits in the space between the seat and the tail-light on my 1999RT, along with a string plug kit, the OEM toolkit, and a supplemental bag of tools. If I were buying today, I would probably go for the slime, because it's slightly smaller (although the carrying case isn't).

I have no direct experience with the Slime, but it looks like it doesn't come with a BMW-style power adapter (someone here will correct me, if I'm wrong about this :/ ). In any case, it's not a lot of work to wire one of the connectors that comes with the slime directly to the battery, although I would be more comfortable with a fused connector. Check your underseat storage area to see if the 6 x 6 x 2.25 inch carry case will fit; if not, you may want to find/make a smaller case to fit the 4 x 4.5 x 2 inch Slime pump, or stow it somewhere else, such as a side case.

I've had a Cycle Pump since 2006 and it works like a charm. Whether it's any better than others, or worth the $100, that's a question only you can answer.

Bronx Cheer

I have the mini inflator from Aerostich. Just $47 bucks and works great. Comes with all the electrical attachments with an option for the BMW plug.

Firefight911
an option for the BMW plug.

Just know that a modern CANBus bike will NOT support any cycle pump unless you have bypassed the system and connect direct to battery. The CANBus bikes will sense an over current and shut down the plug.

I just use the SAE connector on my bike that is direct wired and fused. I now have a Battery Tender hook up and a cycle pump connector at the ready at all times.

I have had one for 5 years which I carry with me and use once or twice a year when I can't easily get to my home pumps. It is well-made, but does seem rather pricey. I have no regrets, but cheaper ones may be nearly as good for half the price.

As mentioned, it will not operate for more than a few seconds from the OEM power ports due to any pump's relatively high current draw.

Jay

Just know that a modern CANBus bike will NOT support any cycle pump unless you have bypassed the system and connect direct to battery. The CANBus bikes will sense an over current and shut down the plug.

May or may not be true.

My '06 RT powered from the stock front accessory socket will stay on long enough to fully inflate both tires from dead flat using a Slime inflator.

I have since converted to a Powerlet accessory socket kit straight to the battery, but the conversion was not due to stock performance while inflating tires.

We tested Slime and Cycle Pump for inflation time.

Slight advantage to Cycle Pump.

Both work.

I carry a $9 AutoZone (probably $12 now) I bought my second pump after 5 years.

May or may not be true.

My '06 RT powered from the stock front accessory socket will stay on long enough to fully inflate both tires from dead flat using a Slime inflator.

Similar story here. I power my Cycle Pump from any of my 2006 RT's three accessory sockets (none of which is wired directly to the battery). The socket stays powered on long enough for me to do one tire (never tried it from dead flat though) and sometimes two. If it powers off between tires, I just turn the ignition key on for a few seconds and it powers back up again. The length of time the accessory sockets stay powered seems to vary somewhat between bikes.

Jerry Johnston

The last time I was at Harbor Freight they had a very compact pump that came in a small bag (as small as any of them)for about $50. Surprisingly it looked very well made.

I use a Slime powered to an SAE Cord/plug under the seat... works fine. Pumped up my rear tire when it was way down at a past Torrey... while I was in middle of nowhere.

Cost $12 at Autozone.

+1 on the slime pump. I've yet to use it in an emergency (used it around the garage a few times) but plugged and filled two different tires with the slime pump on friends bikes. I had no issues with Canbus

Archived