IGNORED

Zumo 660

Ken H.

If you don’t follow The ZumoForums, there is a new version of software for the 660 out. (Maps too.)

Some of the bigger changes:

The bug with Autozoom switching off when other vehicle selection items are changed has been fixed. Autozoom now has its own selection button instead of being under Map Orientation.

There are two new map view page alternatives. One that emphasizes more data with configurable data boxes down each side of the display, the other that emphases more map with almost nothing else displayed.

There are several new data points that can be selected for display on any of the map pages. E.g. – “Miles to Empty.” Still no “Time to Destination” though, only “Estimated Time of Arrival.”

The original Standard view map page stays the same but it now displays the map scale. This was a biggy for me.

There is now a Recalculate icon on the main Menu page to force a recalculation even if you are not off route. (Or are but chose not to do a recalculate earlier in the route.) If you are actually off route though and have auto recalculate turned off and “prompt” turned on, the prompt page still never times out like it did on some of the older models. At some point you have to press Yes or No to get back to a map page.

The issue with some routes having to be recalculated even if they were created in MapSource with the same version of maps has been fixed.

The issue with waypoints created in MapSource then sent to the 660 and then waypoint symbols not staying the same seems to still be there though.

There are now five usage modes – Motorcycle, Automobile, Pedestrian, Scooter and Off Road.

The font for waypoints is now bigger and they display at further out zoom levels.

The audio player has been moved to the ‘foreground.’ All map pages always have a one button ‘note’ icon always present that takes you directly to the player without having to scroll through the Menu pages. It would be nice though to have a way to kill the icon all together if you are never using the player. Maybe have it disappear when the Media volume is set to 0% or something. Oh well.

Corrected a BlueTooth problem with some phones not transferring the phonebook correctly. (I guess. I never had this issue.)

Bunch of other little stuff.

Overall a worthwhile upgrade IMHO. YMMV.

I agree. It's almost like getting a whole new GPS. They added some configurability back into the unit like the older street pilots I loved. They are down to two minor issues for me and it will be near ideal...

I agree. It's almost like getting a whole new GPS. They added some configurability back into the unit like the older street pilots I loved. They are down to two minor issues for me and it will be near ideal...

I'm intrigued enough to ask - what two things would you like changed ?

mbelectric

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but could someone comment on whether a first time buyer of GPS should be looking at a 550 or 660? Prices have come down a bit, and I may want to enter the electronic guidance age.... :grin:

BTW, XM is a must!

I'd accept PM"S as not to clutter the thread.

Thanks in advance.

MB>

I'm intrigued enough to ask - what two things would you like changed ?

I'd like the top banner to be changed back to display the upcoming street. When you are not following a route it shows the street you are on (I pretty much know what street I'm on, I want to see the next street). All of my SP units and the Zumo 550 worked this way. I found it very useful.

Given that the 660 has this huge screen, I'd like to option to see more detail on the screen. Once you zoom out a bit, the small streets show for a second, then go away. Yes, it may be a bit cluttered, but I'd like the option to choose that.

I'd like the top banner to be changed back to display the upcoming street. When you are not following a route it shows the street you are on (I pretty much know what street I'm on, I want to see the next street). All of my SP units and the Zumo 550 worked this way. I found it very useful.

In "Standard View" it does.

RichEdwards

Noticed another new feature in this update. I have always liked the way the 660 shows the speed limit on the road you are traveling. Now the indication of your speed changes to RED when you are going faster than the posted speed limit.

Noticed another new feature in this update. I have always liked the way the 660 shows the speed limit on the road you are traveling. Now the indication of your speed changes to RED when you are going faster than the posted speed limit.

This helps, but I'd like an option to have a simple audio indication as well. Just a distinctive tone to have me check my speed. With an aeroflow, earplugs, and the wrong song it's way to easy to get 'enthused.'

Spent some quality time updating my 660 last night.

The new software definitely adds a lot of features. I'm looking forward to checking out the map changes while on the road.

I also took the time to do a map update. 2.4GB download!

Historically I've used a PC for this stuff, I decided to try out their mac support. Found everything I needed without any trouble, and it all worked just great.

Good stuff!

The audio player has been moved to the ‘foreground.’ All map pages always have a one button ‘note’ icon always present that takes you directly to the player without having to scroll through the Menu pages. It would be nice though to have a way to kill the icon all together if you are never using the player. Maybe have it disappear when the Media volume is set to 0% or something.

Turns out there is a way - If you never use the media player; delete all the files in the Audible directory on the 660 and the blue note icon on the map pages goes away. :clap:

The original Standard view map page stays the same but it now displays the map scale. This was a biggy for me.

I had no idea how much I missed this from the 550. It's very nice to have it back.

I spent the last four days riding and the new stuff works well. I stuck with the new map page that has the configurable boxes down the side.

Two things happened that I had not seen before. At one point the GPS turned off. Just riding down the road, and it went black. I powered it back up and it was fine. Not sure what happened. The second interesting one was a window that popped up, right over everything, right when I needed it, to let me know I had an incompatible device attached. I said OK and it went away.

The intermittent shut downs appears to may be a bug introduced with 3.80. There is a growing discussion about shutdowns on zumoforums.com and speculation whether or not there is a pattern. Most theories seem to revolve around bad MP3 files on the unit. Or in some cases loss of satellite signals causing a shut down. It’s a big unknown at this point.

Someone there has posted a complex set of button pushing that claims by some to resolve it. You might want to go over there, take a look and try it.

Archived