IGNORED

Sleeping Bag for Motorcycle Camping

Mark Mayo

OK, I am starting to purchase the stuff for motorcycle camping and have tent (REI Half Dome Plus) and chair (Kermit) ideas, but I am stuck with a sleeping bag. Down or synthetic fiber insulation? I do not expect to camp in snow, but Mammoth, Virginia lakes, and that area has my eye now.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Synthetic. Lightweight and can be put in a stuff-sack and compressed to a nice small size. If down gets wet, you're screwed. Go back to REI.

Wow! $129 for a camping chair? You can find chairs that are just as light and compact for under $20. The one I have now has help up for three years and cost me $10 at Eddie Bauer. Even if it fails this year, for $129, I could go almost 39 years on that amount of money. Look around.

baggerchris
Synthetic. Lightweight and can be put in a stuff-sack and compressed to a nice small size. If down gets wet, you're screwed. Go back to REI.

I agree with synthetic and REI. You can go cheaper at Big 5 however but maybe not better. I have a big Agnes bag from REI. I would not trade my Kermit for anything. I've had mine for years and years; packed on my bikes all over the Western States. Amortized out a long time ago and it is sooooo comfortable.

Go with down. It has a much wider comfort range and packs smaller. I got my current one several years ago from LL Bean, rated to 20 degrees. The salespeople are very knowledgeable, give them a call. My bag is cut a bit larger than some of the others (even though I am not) which lets you get dressed while in the bag, at least enough that getting out isn't so invigorating. This sizing feature I would not have known without the phone call. I bought my first down bag back in the seventies. Over the years I've used a few synthetics, but always found the comfort range to be much too narrow. The LL Bean bag has been great in Yosemite in Sept. when the temps were in the low twenties, Mammoth when it was seventeen (Sept), Wyoming in June in the snow, and at rallies when it's in the sixties. I've had a hillside slide into a river which sent me and my backpack into the water over my head. The bag only had a slight wet spot a few inches in diameter, no problem, which was critical as I was camping just below the snow line. I've never had a sleeping bag get wet. If such a disaster should ever occur while on a motorcycle camping trip (which I do a lot of), I'd check into a motel and throw the bag into the dryer.

I've been using Wiggy's sleeping bags for the last 12 years. It's an excellent product that uses a unique synthetic fill. They also supply the military with extreme weather gear. Check it out here...

http://www.wiggys.com/

I bought a Big Agnes bag and have been very pleased. I bought it for two reasons; 1) it has a pocket that runs the entire length of the bag on the underneath side into which the Thermarest pad is inserted. That way you never roll off the pad; and 2) it is extra, extra large to allow room for my chest, arms, and elbows. I can't sleep a wink if my movement is restricted.

LeftCoastMan
Something else to consider

LINK

I had no idea.

I practiced medical procedures on dogs, cats, and pigs. We trained surgeons with live animals. I personally don't care how the down gets in my bag.

LeftCoastMan

This comes from REI:

Insulation: Down or Synthetic?

Sleeping bag insulation (or "fill") doesn't provide any warmth by itself; it works instead to minimize the amount of heat your body loses while sleeping. We explain more about the principles of heat loss below.

To combat heat loss, 2 basic insulation types are commonly used: down and synthetic.

Down

Down is the fluffy plumage that forms the undercoat of geese and ducks. This natural fiber is an extraordinary insulator. Premium down usually comes from geese, as their plumes offer a higher fill power. Fill power (or loftiness) refers to the number of cubic inches 1 ounce of down will displace. The higher the down's fill power, the less down is needed to achieve a given temperature rating. For example, a +10°F bag using 800-fill-power down will weigh less than a +10°F bag using 600-fill-power down. Because high-fill-power down is less plentiful, it usually comes with a higher price tag.

Down loses its insulating properties when wet, so any high-quality down bag will use a shell fabric treated with a durable water repellent (DWR) finish. DWR allows water to bead up rather than soak through the fabric. In addition to DWR, a few specialty bags feature a waterproof/breathable coating so the bag can be used in wet climates.

Synthetics

Synthetic insulators (usually a type of polyester) retain much of their warmth even when wet, so they are a good choice in damp climates. They are quick-drying, nonallergenic and (in high-end bags) almost as light as down bags. The downside is that a synthetic bag offers a little less warmth for its weight, plus its insulating power gets reduced each time it is stuffed into a stuff sack. There is a long list of competing brand names for synthetic insulations, which can make shopping confusing. A more relevant distinction is knowing whether a synthetic insulator is short-staple or a continuous filament.

Short-staple fills (e.g., PrimaLoft®) are the predominate choice. These feature short strands of fine-denier filaments that are densely packed to minimize heat loss. This makes these bags feel soft and flexible, much like a down bag, and allows for great compressibility. They are, however, a bit less durable.

Continuous-filament fills (e.g., Climashield®) use a thicker continuous filament that is lofty, strong and durable. They have a stiffer feel and are less compressible than short-staple bags.

Which Insulation Is Right for You?

Choose a down bag if you want superior warmth, compressibility and durability. Though initially more expensive, down's superior durability makes it a good value over the long haul. You might want to avoid down, however, if you camp mostly in damp, rainy climates.

Choose a synthetic bag if you want both good performance and a lower price tag. Short-staple synthetic bags offer excellent compressibility, while continuous-filament synthetic bags are lofty and more durable. Synthetic fills are usually the better choice for wet climates.

It depends on what you want, but down is definitely warmer.

In addition, spend money for a bag that has a rip-stop nylon. You're not going to find that in a $50 bag from Walmart. You're going to find it in a $200 bag from REI or other similar vendors. You want it water resistant, because even if you have a leakproof tent, in cold weather, there will be condensation. Buy a bag liner which will add life to your bag and keep you from frequent cleaning, unless you prefer the man-smell in your bag! :)

SAAB93driver
I bought a Big Agnes bag and have been very pleased. I bought it for two reasons; 1) it has a pocket that runs the entire length of the bag on the underneath side into which the Thermarest pad is inserted. That way you never roll off the pad; and 2) it is extra, extra large to allow room for my chest, arms, and elbows. I can't sleep a wink if my movement is restricted.

+1 on Big Angnes. Well thought out system. I don't use a thermatrest but the BA insulated air matress. I came from a Kelty bag with 3/4 thermarest and have never looked back.

I've used The North Face bags for 20+ years. If space is an issue, I would go with down bag. Its more compact and will keep you warm in cooler mountain camping. If you are concerned about keeping a down bag dry, buy a water proof bag to store it in. You can get storm sack to fit any size bag that are water proof.

Money spent on a sleeping bag is well spent money.

Big Agnes Ripple Creek. Got it for a little over $100 at REI (close-out). 100% recycled materials, light and roomy. Love it!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

"I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't...The pain which it inflicts upon unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further." ~ Mark Twain

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

"I am not interested to know whether vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't...The pain which it inflicts upon unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further." ~ Mark Twain

The video didn't go into detail about the profitability of live-plucking, but I can't just compare it with shearing sheep. The sheep do not suffer while being sheared, but plucking's got to hurt the geese.

I've never had a second thought about down products, assuming that the feathers came from dead animals any way.

Not very high on my list of priorities living in Texas, but definitely a consideration for future purchases.

Man's inhumanity knows no bounds! :cry:

xbubblehead

I have one of these, regular Go Kot and I use a 3/4 length self-inflating sleeping pad slipped into the mattress sleeve of a Big Agnes Encampment Sleeping Bag - very comfy. Plus, I can fit it in the water proof bag with all my camping gear stored on the pillion seat.

+1 on Big Angnes. Well thought out system. I don't use a thermatrest but the BA insulated air matress. I came from a Kelty bag with 3/4 thermarest and have never looked back.

Agreed. I use the same Big Agnes bag. The down bag is much lighter and packs tighter. Slipping in the Thermarest pad keeps it in place under your bag and you don't slide off of it in the middle of the night as with most other bags. Since the bottom of the sleeping back is just a sleeve for the Thermarest, the bag is then lighter and easier to stuff into a smaller space.

Now if you really want to go light get one of THESE tents. It sets up with 2 poles in under 3 minutes. It is single wall, waterproof design(like gortex).

I used to take another tent that took 15 minutes to set up, but not anymore. This one is really great if you want to set up and beat a rainstorm or mosquitos.

• 2 months later...

I couldnt agree more!

I use the Western Mountaineering Highlite 35 degree bag. It weighs only 16 oz (1 lb), packs to 6"x12" and is as warm as stated. I bought mine about 5 years ago. It was the lightest 35 degree bag at that time. It still feels as good as new after about 250 miles on the trail and all kinds of weather. The downside is it costs $260 and is never on sale.

But it's so light, if you ever decide to go on overnight hikes, you will come out happy at the end of a 2-day 40 mile weekend.

All my camping gear is ultralight. I just returned from a 4-day hike on the Long Range Traverse in Gros Morne National Park, NL. All my equipment (except hiking poles) fitted into the saddle bags. The top case was empty!

I learnt the hard way after carrying 50 lbs of crap for 5 miles a day that it made more sense to carry 20 lbs of ultralight stuff and cover 15-20 miles a day. Now I'm a happy camper! The forum that changed me was the Ultralight forum on whiteblaze.net.

P.S. If anyone wants a detailed list of my camping equipment, please PM me.

Go with a good quality down bag. You will never regret it. They compress to less than 1/2 the size of a synthetic, and they're WAY more comfy! I've been camping my whole life. Car, canoe, raft, bicycle, motorcycle, mtn climbing, skiing... you get the idea. The last time I got my sleeping bag wet was because I was five and I peed in it. There are so many super duper tents (that 1/2 dome's a good choice) and waterproof stuff sacks on the market, there really is NO excuse for a wet bag. Unless you're five...

Take a look at Feathered Friends. Their only competitor in my opinion is Western Mountaineering. For your purposes, FF has tiny little lightweight mummy bags, semi rectangular and even big old fashioned rectangles. Best money I ever spent. All hand made, in USA. You can't beat that.

I like my cheap Sierra Designs synthetic (about $139 eight years ago), have carried it on many bicycle and motorcycle tours and it's kept me warm during a couple freezing nights in the Sierras. Compresses down well and is light. I made the mistake of buying an expensive Marmot goose down for about $350 a few years back. It wasn't as warm as the synthetic and very uncomfortable....and not much lighter. I also use a Luxury 3/4 length Thermarest. It's held up for eight years so far.

Archived