IGNORED

Any handheld GPS users?

VinnyR11

I'm finally going to purchase a GPS unit, and have a zillion questions, but I'd first like to get the format down.

I really enjoy hiking and was hoping I could have a GPS do double duty by purchasing a handheld and then also using it on my bike and in my car.

Have any of you done this, or is it too limited for the bike?

Absolutely. Garmin 60csx. Hiking/mountain biking with topo maps, kayaking (it's waterproof) with marine maps, bicycle/motorcyle/cage with the street maps (incl full auto-routing). 15-20 hrs on a set of rechargeable AAs.

I also have an older 2610 with touch screen and turn-by-turn voice, which the handheld lacks, but I don't miss it - the ultimate in portability is worth the trade-off.

Another reason I went with the handheld was that my car was broken into because I left the Garmin 2610 power cord visible. They searched the car, but it wasn't in it at the time. The handheld leaves no trace.

I have a zumo on my bike, but recently found that it sure is helpful to have a Droid cell phone. Obviously, it makes calls, but the google maps, google earth, compass, internet, flashlight, camera, and other apps make it a great tool to carry along most anywhere. It's not waterproof, but the Droid does everything.

Marty Hill

Isn't it wonderful how much info we get over at adv? Makes me laugh when I remember all the bashing in a thread a couple of months ago. I ordered one for my daughter 2 days ago when I saw the post.

If you are getting a handheld GPS, I would suggest you get one that has expanded memory (mini SD) to allow you to load routable maps (for riding/driving directions) and topo maps for hiking.

Routable maps is an extra purchase if you not getting the Nuvi or Zumo GPS lines from Garmin. Topo maps must also be purchased but you can download those for free at various sites.

Thanks a lot to all. This is great news. I really was expecting a bunch of "no way" responses. I wasn't going to swing for 2 different GPS units, so this is very nice.

I'm almost certainly going with the 60Csx at REI. That saves almost 90 bucks over Amazon. (Reason #2367 why this board rocks.) THANKS for the lead. That was the one I was leaning toward before my post, and it also has the micro SD card which I agree is important.

I'm looking forward to using it as much for our hiking as on the bike.

Any input on mounts or other much used extras is appreciated.

I believe you have to buy the City Navigator detailed maps ($99) extra for that unit.....?

EDIT: PM sent

I believe you have to buy the City Navigator detailed maps ($99) extra for that unit.....?

Also sent you an email.

You might also look at the Garmin nuvi 500. waterproof and comes with topo maps. microSD expansion. On sale now at Costco $199.

Sorry, but I'm going against the trend a bit here. Like the OP my two main pursuits are hiking and riding my m/c. For a couple of years now I have owned and used the Garmin 60Csx and have been extremely pleased with it. So much so that I purchased the Garmin NT Europe Map 2010 in addition to the Touratech m/c for this unit http://www.touratech.com/shops/001/product_info.php?cPath=14_104_575&products_id=1850&osCsid=0a3c1bf033de9ae8398d691d0b053a2a believing I had now satisfied all my needs. How wrong I was !!! In the first instance, the 60Csx display is relatively small, has no audio output and relies very much on the user monitoring the screen. Secondly, the standard colour (not user changeable) for route following is a kind of purple/magenta mix which in itself is horrible. Worse however, is that this combination of colour, small viewable screen and no audio makes navigation less than a simple matter. Note - here I make no mention of the viewability when the sun is shining. The 60CSx when mounted on a m/c gives true meaning to the expression the "Garmin salute". When you see all those riders continuously bowing it's to cast a shadow over their GPS units in order to have any chance of viewing the screen.

I've subsequently upgraded to a GPS unit (Zumo 660) that is far more suitable for m/c use with it's bright and clear screen in addition to audio. I now leave the 60CSx to fulfil it's designed function of being a handheld hiking unit.

Whilst some may argue that having 2 units is somewhat excessive, my belief has always been having the right tools for the job - the 60CSx handheld for hiking and the Zumo for mounting on the m/c as it was designed to be. If you find yourself making compromises then you will never be entirely satisfied or indeed comfortable. Just my point of view as I'm sure you'll appreciate. :thumbsup:

Sorry, but I'm going against the trend a bit here. Like the OP my two main pursuits are hiking and riding my m/c. For a couple of years now I have owned and used the Garmin 60Csx and have been extremely pleased with it. So much so that I purchased the Garmin NT Europe Map 2010 in addition to the Touratech m/c for this unit http://www.touratech.com/shops/001/product_info.php?cPath=14_104_575&products_id=1850&osCsid=0a3c1bf033de9ae8398d691d0b053a2a believing I had now satisfied all my needs. How wrong I was !!! In the first instance, the 60Csx display is relatively small, has no audio output and relies very much on the user monitoring the screen. Secondly, the standard colour (not user changeable) for route following is a kind of purple/magenta mix which in itself is horrible. Worse however, is that this combination of colour, small viewable screen and no audio makes navigation less than a simple matter. Note - here I make no mention of the viewability when the sun is shining. The 60CSx when mounted on a m/c gives true meaning to the expression the "Garmin salute". When you see all those riders continuously bowing it's to cast a shadow over their GPS units in order to have any chance of viewing the screen.

I've subsequently upgraded to a GPS unit (Zumo 660) that is far more suitable for m/c use with it's bright and clear screen in addition to audio. I now leave the 60CSx to fulfil it's designed function of being a handheld hiking unit.

Whilst some may argue that having 2 units is somewhat excessive, my belief has always been having the right tools for the job - the 60CSx handheld for hiking and the Zumo for mounting on the m/c as it was designed to be. If you find yourself making compromises then you will never be entirely satisfied or indeed comfortable. Just my point of view as I'm sure you'll appreciate. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the post. Good info, and there is zero debate here that the Zumo 660 is superior in many ways to handhelds on the bike. You make many valid and helpful points. It's just that I don't want to purchase 2 GPS units, so I need one compromise unit for now.

I enjoy hiking and really wanted a unit that can do double duty. If it's a little weaker on the bike that's fine. In a couple of years, I can see myself purchasing a second unit that is more suited for the bike, but I'm certain I can live with the downsides for now.

One of my favorite things to do on my bike is to just take off in a random direction, try to find some great roads, then find my way home. As you can imagine, the "find my way home" can sometimes be tough. I then always wanted to map the ride I had just taken when I arrived home, but because the rides often involve so many roads, it's usually impossible for me to do from memory. The handheld could be perfect for that duty. Just point me in the general direction to get home, and then I can download the route to my computer to take a look at where I've been.

I'm also a little odd regarding the voice directions. I like as little sound as possible while riding. Quiet pipes, no phone, iPod, or other goop. Voice commands would get in the way of how I like to ride, and if the GPS offered it I wouldn't use it anyway. Others will rightfully argue that taking your eyes off the road to check that little screen is worse, but different strokes I guess.

I already had a Garmin 60csx and then got a ZUMO 550 with a bike I bought. I love the ZUMO on the bike, but I hike and geocache with the the 60csx. If I could only have one, it would clearly be the 60csx. I like being able to set up the screens the way I want them, which you can't do with the ZUMO.

I'm also a little odd regarding the voice directions. I like as little sound as possible while riding. Quiet pipes, no phone, iPod, or other goop. Voice commands would get in the way of how I like to ride, and if the GPS offered it I wouldn't use it anyway. Others will rightfully argue that taking your eyes off the road to check that little screen is worse, but different strokes I guess.

Vinny, You sound like me a year ago when I was considering a GPS. I couldn't understand why I couldn't get it all. Hiking, marine, roads ect. And I wasn't interested in sound/earphones ect . . So I totally understand.

But, I happened to get a very good deal on my buddies Zumo 550. It really is nice to have sound and the mp3 feature is nice too. Bigger screen is nice. Bright is a must. Batteries is almost a must. It has two mounts, so when you add up all it is, you see it isn't as expensive as first glance.

I use the thing more than I thought I would. In my truck, my wife's vehicle and rides. I love mapping rides on the PC.

When doing a ride when guided by a GPS, I find myself more relaxed. I know where I am and what the road is doing up ahead. You look at the screen quite a bit. The voice wakes you up when that turn is coming. If you want to wander off plan, there is no problems. :thumbsup:

As for hiking with the Zumo 550, not a chance. It is big and bulky. I'd rather have a compass and map even if it did have hiking software. Plus, I would likely drop it down a rock cliff. :eek:

without having read all the replies....

As the lady at REI told me, you can get automotive routing with a backpacking oriented gps, but it's not so hot. Likewise you can get topo maps etc. on the right automotive gps, but it's not so hot either. So base your decision on your primary intended use.

I've got several different units (including the nuvi 500). That nuvi 500 is a great do-it-all unit (has "walk", "car", "bicycle" and "scooter" modes, and if you get the marine charts, it'll even do "boating" mode). Being a do it all unit, you don't get bluetooth and all that fancy stuff like on the zumos, but hey, it routed me 6200 miles coast to coast on the bike, and it worked perfectly for me. I'd give it 2 thumbs up.

However, that lady at the store was right. While that nuvi500 works just fine (I also use it skiing in the backcountry), if you're using it in conjuction with paper maps, it does have some limitations. it doesn't necessarily tell you the coordinates of waypoints, or the bearing and distance, etc. When I anticipate some highly technical navigation on foot, I will use my old clunky eMap which lends itself to paper maps better. Generally though, most people would never need to get that complicated and probably wouldn't ever notice.

Archived