IGNORED

Topcase solution for 1150RT

Bear1

Any suggestions for a top case solution for an 1150RT? I would like to make the bike a little more rider friendly for those times when I have a rider on the back and thought a top case might be the best solution. Any suggestions for a good top case?

I have a GIVI E55 quart with a "backrest". I like the case and opted for the LED option which helps when I apply the brakes. Simple to install, fairly easy to wire up. The case is nicely water tight, I like the handle and stays on. I might install the racks as I buy more camping stuff if needed. My wife likes the case to give her a feeling of security when she rides. It holds 2 full size helmets with some other space left.

I have a GIVI E55 quart with a "backrest". I like the case and opted for the LED option which helps when I apply the brakes. Simple to install, fairly easy to wire up. The case is nicely water tight, I like the handle and stays on. I might install the racks as I buy more camping stuff if needed. My wife likes the case to give her a feeling of security when she rides. It holds 2 full size helmets with some other space left.

+1 on the Givi. I had one on my R1100RT and my wife really liked it. We never got the backrest pad because she said the way it was molded was very comfortable for her.

Tons of space, lasted a long time, and much cheaper than OEM.

The factory case is very nice, too. Can be keyed to bike and my wife found the slope of the case without the pad to be ideal -- much better than the newer BMW cases.

The backrest only is a good option as well, if you do not want the case. I enjoy it. Wife liked it and it gave me something to strap things to (a bit of height, to hold stuff on the back rack or the seat when traveling solo.

John Bentall

A Givi case with backrest kills two birds with one stone - roomy, practical, easily removable when not needed and is transferable to just about any machine afterwards. The case for the 1150RT will only fit the 1100RT - but there is always a healthy market for good used BMW gear.

I had the Givi option on my 1100RT.

I alos had the Givi 55 on my 1150, great size and the backrest was popular with the pillion (earache disappeared with it anyway).

When I moved to the 1200, I took the box with me, easier and more practical that the factory option and very easy to move the mounting plate.

The only issue is having different keys and that is not much of a hardship!

Archived