IGNORED

Accy socket not working

alfabc

Hello from newbie to the group,

I just bought an used 2001 F650GS with the factory accessory socket. I've traced & buzzed out the wires to the distribution box and all is good from the connectors on the distribution block back to the socket. I now know there are no cuts/shorts in the wires themselves. Not sure where the wires go on the far side of the distribution box - maybe to the battery? All fuses in the fuse box are good. Are there other fuses that are connected between the distribution box and the battery? If so, where are they?

I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to add an aftermarket power distribution box to the bike to power heated vest, GPS, etc. ?

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill:

Is this socket located on the left side of the bike below the oil tank?? If so... there may be an inline fuse just behind the socket or the connector is pulled off. Most of those were dealer installed sockets so the wiring maybe questionable. As I recall, the socket is live all the time to facilitate battery charging via the socket. It should be pretty easy to find/fix the problem if you pull off the faux tank bodywork.

The F650GS has a lower output charging system. Only puts out 400 watts at MAX engine RPM, so bear that in mind when you decide to install electrical farkles. The GPS is very low current and the heated vest is probably OK too, but just be careful about aux. lights etc. as you can quickly use up all available output from the charging system.

Take care

Bruce,

Yes, the socket is where you described it to be. I've had the faux tank off, had the socket removed from the bracket, and found that the wire go directly to the distribution box. I buzzed both wires, GOOD. This tells me that if there is a fuse, it's good. I want to use this socket, but I might just pull far end of the wires from the distribution box and wire them to the battery. I have already added the Battery Tender harness, and I keep her plugged in that way. There are PIAA aux driving lights already on it, so I'll keep in mind not to use the vest and lights together. The previous owner did warn about heated grips on high when using the driving lights...

Thanks for the info on the 400 watts max.

Cheers,

Bill

Archived