IGNORED

garmin Zumo 550 vs Zumo 665

cali_beemer

cali_beemer

So I am considering one of these 2 units. I used to have a zumo 550 before, but one day when I let my wife use it she lef tit in the car and some stranger decided they needed it more than I did. So I am looking at the newest model, the 665. Form what I can tell the major differences are that there is lane assist and street view on the 665, no quick access hard buttons on the 665, a bigger screen with the 665 and the weather option now does radar. In addition the 665 comes with the antenna vs the 550 its a different antenna and must be purchases seperately. However, if I am reading the specs correctly there is no more mapquest included with the 665? So how do you make routes? Has anyone had the chance to use both? Can anyone clue me in on any other differences, issues, quirks, tips....etc....

However, if I am reading the specs correctly there is no more mapquest included with the 665? So how do you make routes?

Presuming you mean MapSource not Mapquest (the Internet mapping web site), this is not correct. MapSource works fine with the 665.

cali_beemer
However, if I am reading the specs correctly there is no more mapquest included with the 665? So how do you make routes?

Presuming you mean MapSource not Mapquest (the Internet mapping web site), this is not correct. MapSource works fine with the 665.

It may work with it, but Garmin is hsowing its not included anymore. So you would need to buy that seperately.

cali_beemer

Pardon me if I am dumb, but thats not the same as the mapsource correct? In otherwords, I wont get the CD rom with the program that allows me to create routes. Am I confusing the 2? If so, what is the idfference between mapsource and city navigator.

The only way I have seen the mapsource software included on the 665 is if you pay the super hight 1150 dolalr price on the garmin outlet website. In that case they give you a bundle of extras.

MapSource and the maps are 2 separate items.

MapSource is free and downloadable to anyone from the Garmin website.

The maps, for the US Garmin Zumo 665, is the City Navigator North America NT. This map is preloaded on the 665 and the DVD is included with the unit.

To create routes, download and install MapSource plus install the City Navigator maps and you're good to start creating routes. You can install multiple maps onto MapSource, even topo maps.

cali_beemer

Thanks, that makes sense. SO the 665 and the 550 are on par in the maps department. Any major perfomance differences I should be aware of? I am just not sure the price of the 665 is justifiable. I would rather wait ont eh 665 and look for a price drop. However, I do like some of the new features.

xbubblehead

Another choice that I use to create maps is this converter, which converts Goggle maps to a GPX file. However, it does state Navigate at your own risk.

I use it with my Zumo 550 and it has been working great for the past two years, My computer is a Mac and the Garmin stuff is to quirky for me - right now.

Another choice that I use to create maps is this converter, which converts Goggle maps to a GPX file. However, it does state Navigate at your own risk.

I use it with my Zumo 550 and it has been working great for the past two years, My computer is a Mac and the Garmin stuff is to quirky for me - right now.

+1 on how well it works with a PC.

Archived