IGNORED

Amber eyeglasses

Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka

I remembered back when target shooting with bad lighting we used amber/yellow glasses for better vision and contrast, so I wondered what they would do for night driving/riding. So I got a pair and tried them this morning at O dark thirty. Amazing! It was like adding 100 watts to my lights. Things jumping out farther down the road, better detail vision on the side of the road. On-coming cars less blinding.

As a funny side, I got memories of seeing traffic in France in the fifties. By law all the cars had to have yellow lights, not white. I guess foreigners were exempt.

These are the glasses I got:

http://www.amazon.com/Remington-T-72-Shooting-Glasses-Amber/dp/B000F7RSFS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1275256288&sr=8-4

Neat, I have a pair of those same glasses in my range bag.

I'll give them a try tomorrow morning.

I love it when I can use something for multiple purposes.

FWIW, i always travel with 2 pair of sunglasses.

1 amber (I wear these about 80% of the time) and my regular sunglasses (polarized) for when i'm heading into the sun.

I prefer the amber lenses...

+1 on how they help!

Paul,

I used an Amber Pinlock in my helmet for 5 years.

Initally, yellow headlights, and changes in other lights too.

But, over time, I adjusted and headlights became more sudbued and closer to "real".

The weird part was traffic light.

Recently bought a Scorpion with anti-fog visor, so no colored pinlock in use now.

Seems weird to see things in real colors.

I think the amber tint made some raodside movements easier to detect.

Not certain, but it seemed easier to see Bambi.

Best wishes.

I recently purchased a pair of Serengeti Driver glasses - they are transitional so they will darken as it gets brighter out. But they are amber and really enhance the colors helping me see everything better.

I really recommend these!

Serengeti's Website

Jim

I have been riding with a pair of yellow glasses for several years.Although I got them at a marine store, they look more like shooting glasses. They are not polarized, but really cut the glare and work well in the bright sun or at night. Although at my age (not quite as old as you Paul) I can't stay awake very long after dark so my night riding is limited.

In any case, I went to the eye doc yesterday for my annual appt. He said I need glasses and I really winced, I did not want to wear glasses. He suggested that since I wear sun glasses most of the time anyway, why not just get prescription sun glasses. Smart guy!! So I ordered a pair with the yellow lenses that should work all the time. Can't wait to get them and see what a difference the correction will make.

As a funny side, I got memories of seeing traffic in France in the fifties. By law all the cars had to have yellow lights, not white. I guess foreigners were exempt.

I remember those in the 70s too. IIRC, it was French law, so the police could easily identify cars from out of the country. (Profiling???)

I remember those in the 70s too. IIRC, it was French law, so the police could easily identify cars from out of the country. (Profiling???)

It was French law because they felt yellow lights reduced dazzle for oncoming drivers. We used to be able to buy an easlily removed yellow paint for our headlights for when we visited France. Not because it was required, but because without it almost every other driver would switch to high-beam as you approached. These days, it is very rare to see yellow lights in France - though the bulbs are still available.

Andy

Starfighter

I bought a few pair fo red Gargoyles before they quit making them and for daylight driving, they really increase contrast on overcast days and make that yellow line glow.

Archived