IGNORED

Garmian 2820 On & Off - Annoyed

jb11GSA

So I have my SP2820 mounted on a shelf on my RT (I can send a pic if like to see how) - it's very solid placed, no movement. I did put four rubber garments between the mount and the bracket attached to the shelf to absorb some of the road vibration. So, now to the problem... Every bump, ripple on the road (never mind off road, light gravel ride) the unit reboots.

I checked the electrical connection, its not having interment disconnection (the AutoCom is connected to the same source, I don’t have any issues from the AutoCom). In the car the unit works perfectly, never reboots, just perfect. Any one had experienced these symptoms - any suggestions/assist would be just great, I am very frustrated with he product.

Oh, Garmin support stinks (I know, no one here ever had any issues with them – they are just great); I have been on hold for over 35 minutes to be dropped from the queue a couple times, and no response to any of my eMail, so yea great.

Please help, frustrated Joe

04 R1150RT

Look extremely closely at the connector. I had that issue on mine and the lip around the edge of the power connector had a crack in which allowed the connector to pull off. I fixed it with some super glue.

Also check the receptacle on the 2820 and make sure the female edge isn't cracking.

Thanks for the quick response Mike,

I looked and even took the power cable off of the bike and connected to the car so to isolate that as a possible cause. In the car it's working perfectly, no reboots – on the money.

I'm thinking it has to do with vibration, and mounting, or the unit is somehow got damaged i.e. internal component and/or connection is not all there.

Joe

04 R1150RT

The connection to power in back of unit is finicky.

Perhaps someone else has a similar model (2610, 2730 et al)

and can hook to their power for cross check.

You're using different power source for car and bike, right?

Car cig plug and bike hard wired?

Yes, On the bike it is hardwaired, but I wanted to make sure it's not the feed, so I took the bike power cable and rigged it to the car so to eliminate the power cord and connection as possible cause.

The power socket (connection) is solid, there is no give, in fact the bike power cord is new (no older then a month or so). While in the car my daughter and I drove over some potholes and rougher roads, I wiggled the cord - nothing; the unit stays on with out a hitch.

As soon as I transfer the unit (and rewire the power cord) to the bike and take the bike for a test ride the unit keeps turning on and off as soon I hit a bump (small and large are the same).

Keep the ideas, questions and suggestions coming; something will click that I have not tried.

Thank you,

Joe

R1150RT

Is this a recent change?

When did you mount the GPS, or change the mount, and when did the problems ensue?

Has it been working for X and suddenly started this?

have a 2610 and have the same issue only in my car. on the moto it's hardwired. in the car it's plugged into the lighter/access socket and it's constantly rebooting. just can't seem to get a good access socket connection.

Sound potentially like it could be; power dropout (spiking off intermittently with shocks) Double check all power connections. Don’t rely on power sockets; SOLDER all joints for reliable connections. Check in-line fuse (if fitted) they sometimes get dirty and need to be cleaned or tightened up.

Just a thought to check, could perhaps be a low voltage issues? Check the supply voltage when used on the car (working ok) and also check the supply voltage when used on the bike (in particular when it’s playing up).

Bikes tend to suffer more from volt drop when testing without the motor running.

Take the battery leads off and clean them before refitting and make sure they are tightened up upon refitting.

Try swapping the earth point from where it is to DIRECTLY to the bikes battery. You sometimes get resistance (and so volt drop) when connecting accessory earths to bike frame, or remote points, avoid this by going directly to the bikes battery.

Good luck with sorting the problem

I had the same problem on mine, and there was a light coating of corrosion on the metal tangs of both the GPS and the cable. But it wasnt enough to affect operation in the car, using the speaker power cable.

Cleaned, actually scraped, all the connections to clean metal, no problems since.

Even if you think they are clean, get to bright metal anyway, see if it helps

I'll get another power source (re-cable it), and retest. I did clean the contacts with fine steal whole (nice an shiny) – did not help, but good idea.

Thanks

Joe B

R1150RT

The unit is new to me, it was fine on the first trip (on the bike). The mount was very wobbly, so I fabricated a brace which stiffened it and stabled the GPS, but now these reboots. I am using the Garmin mount and the Garmin power cable.

The reason I am thinking the vibration is too much for the unit, but it's made for motorcycles; so what gives...

I'll try another power feed and retest.

Thank you,

Joe B

R1150RT

We with 2720's and probably 2730's etc., are forgotten by Garmin....My 2720 lady ("Recalculating") just went away....No voice either on the bike or plugged into the wall....I called Garmin and waited a long time...Finally got Mike and he knew nothing about that old of a unit (2005, I think)....He put me on hold to check with other tech's and drew a blank....No support and basically told me that sending it in to Garmin probably wouldn't be the best thing to do....

Obsolescence seems to happen so fast these days.... :P

Secret Buzzard

My Nuvi started rebooting continuously on my bike one day. It was hard wired in and I couldn't understand how it could have a bad connection. I got frustrated and unplugged the power source and ran on the internal battery. Guess what? No reboot. That says it isn't vibration at all which is what I was suspecting. I rechecked all my wiring and repositioned the cables better and now the reboots almost never happen (only once or twice in the last few months.) But, my Quest on the RT is now having problems finding satellites. Tried rebooting it (holding down the "in" and "power" buttons) and it worked better for a while, but still not 100%. Any thoughts?

Not sure how you have your connection fused on the bike but try a different fuse. The element in a fuse can become cracked over time and while it makes contact "ususally", vibration can cause it to break contact intermittently. The fuse may even look ok upon visual inspection.

• 2 weeks later...

Issue (hopefully) solved - yea. So I found another power source (yup 45 minutes after taking the left panel off and searching – I love my RT…), connected to it and took the bike on a bumpy road ride; the 2820 stayed on without fail.

Strange, but very grateful to all and ideas that were shared - you all are awesome (but you know that :-) ).

Thankful,

Joe B

R1150RT

Archived