IGNORED

The Quietest Helmet?

algover

... Since we're talking about helmets ...

What is the quietest helmet. Jane wants quiet above all! Venting (which usually increases noise) or anything else is secondary.

Unfortunately, since you can't road-test a helmet, we can only hope to find quiet one. What is the collective wisdom here?

Tks,

mbelectric

You'll get the full range of answers on that question. But, since you'll be at the Unrally in July:

When ya finally decide on a helmet that fits her and is comfortable,

buy her some of Al's earplugs and an IPod...

She'll never get off the bike. :grin:

Hi Peter :wave:

MB>

Here's an interesting article from web bike world LINK

But in the real world... I don't think there's a solid answer for that question. Is she a passenger or a driver? What bike? How tall is the wind screen if any? How high is the collar of her riding jacket? What kind of earplugs does she use?

In general, and in my personal experience, full face helmets tend to be quieter than modular helmets. I've been very happy with the noise level of my Shoei RF1000 and RF1100

moshe_levy

I've tried many helmets and none has ever been nearly as comfortable or as quiet as my Arai Quantum/f. But I do wear earplugs regularly (met too many older riders with permanent hearing damage from not doing so to ignore their warnings) so I suppose it doesn't make THAT much of a difference. Still, for my head, there's Arai and then there's everything else in a far distant second place. Right now I've got a Shoei Multitec and I'm just waiting for that 5 year replacement mark to come up (3 more years) so I can go back to Arai.

-MKL

Suggest that fit and comfort are primary and should be the first consideration.......Good foam ear plugs or fitted ear plugs from Arizona Al with an Ipod will take care of a lot of noise as suggested above.......

I too vote for Arai Quantum II....Wouldn't buy anything else.....Fits my head great and is comfortable after changing to different sized cheek pads but it's not what I would call "quiet" in there.......I wear Al's plugs or foam ones....

Thanks for the replies so far.

She does wear earplugs; has had the custom-made ones and found that the foam ones are actually quieter. She is a passenger, and that is likely part of the problem. Even with a Cee Bailey's or Secdem larger windshield, the still-air pocket envelops me and collapses right on her, so she really gets beat up. Years ago she had her own motorcycle, but was never comfortable in traffic, so she just rides behind me. Yeah, I know, this is, and will continue to be, a tough one!

I don't know. Over the last 10 years I will give you the order of quietest of the helments I have bought. It is just a small sample

1. Schuberth

2. HJC Symax

3. Shoei Multitec

The Shoei is my newest, but isn't quite. It is comfortable and the vents really work...although loud.

I have a new C3. The noise signature is quite different than my Fulmer Modus. It is quieter but there is a lot of variables to consider especially in regards to turbulence. I had hoped it would be quieter but oh well. I had tried a number of flips with only the Nolan N103 coming close. While I think overall it is better engineered and made, a piece of quite brittle trim just broke off near the sun visor slider. :mad: Should have waited I bought it a month ago and got an exchange rate of $1.2727 for the euro. the euro is now slightly below $1.20 today.

I have an Arai Quantum that I posted previously about when a vent broke. Last year the top vent broke off and the helmet became easily 30% quieter, going from OK to very good. I never replaced the vent, and would have taken it off when it was knew if I knew it would make that big of a difference.

So, I'm guessing that less vents or anything sticking out will make a positive difference. The upside is more venting often = more $$.

From your earlier post, I'm also guessing that the noise is more of an issue of your windscreen than her helmet.

Peter Parts

Good to get a baseline/benchmark on your hearing and re-check from time to time. The neighborhood hearing aid store might do it for free but they are not always capable (or honest) enough. Be sure to get a copy of hearing curve.

My personal view is that fears of hearing loss legitimate but are exaggerated. On short scoots, better to hear than to worry about hearing loss since loss relates to length of exposure as well as loudness.

I wonder if helmet manufacturers show any more professional competence in sound control than most after-market muffler companies? If not, maybe adding some effective absorbent in the ear space might help.

Ben

I wonder if helmet manufacturers show any more professional competence in sound control than most after-market muffler companies? If not, maybe adding some effective absorbent in the ear space might help.

I think the priority list for helmet designers has quietness pretty far down the list. Naturally, protection, light weigh, comfort and style are ahead of quietness. You are correct, there is nothing much for sound absorbing in any helmet. Furthermore, most helmets have may things like vents and thin plastic side caps that make great noise generators. Polyurethane foam (memory foam)is the best for sound absorbtion, but it is rather heavy.

But sound absorbtion wouldn't come close to lowering the sound that is in my Arai. You would need absorber feet thick to lower the sound to a comfortable level. I'm quite sure it peaks over 100dBSP.

The noise is due to air off my stock RT windshield squarely slambing into the helmet at the forhead level. To make it worse, there is low pressure air on either side of the helmet. SO, you get very nasty air turbulents on either side of the helmet, just outside your ears.

If I role my head downward a bit(still in the strong wind), the noise level drops considerably. If I disturb the air at my forhead area, the sound level drops considerably. If I tape up all around the shield, side caps and vents it makes no difference (just as loud as ever). The Arai Profile got good reviews for noise on WebBikeWorld, but they might not have had a bike with a windshield. I'm quite sure any helmet out there could have this issue with my bike with me on it. But, you may not have this issue on your RT, since you likely are not the same physical size as I.

There may be a way to design something into helmets to drastically reduce wind noise. But, it would be rather specific to my bike and me. SO, I cannot see helmet manufacturers bothering to put efforts into a fix.

Most RT riders fix the issue by getting an aftermarket windshields and a set of earplugs. I've been goofing with other ideas, but not very seriously. If I find a fix, I will surely post it. But don't hold your breath.

This thread got me thinking it's time for a new helmet so went to the Arai site and found that the Quantum II is no longer and has been replaced with the RX2.......Good website, BTW, to learn about Arai's different models for different shapped heads and more about helmets....One item mentioned is that noise is worse with a helmet that is too big and that most people buy them too big.....

She does wear earplugs; has had the custom-made ones and found that the foam ones are actually quieter.

That is normal. Foam earplugs tend to have a higher noise reduction rating than custom fit. Custom fit plugs do tend to fit better, but are of a higher density material and transmit sound better than the foam ones.

It does sound like you need to address the turbulence problem for her though. My wife and I had the same problem on our VStrom. An MRA Vario windscreen with the adjustable "spoiler" totally solved the problem. On our 07 RT, the stock windshield seems to be fine though.

It does sound like you need to address the turbulence problem for her though. My wife and I had the same problem on our VStrom. An MRA Vario windscreen with the adjustable "spoiler" totally solved the problem. On our 07 RT, the stock windshield seems to be fine though.

We've been trying, unsuccessfully, to address that problem for almost 10 years, through various windshields. The one that worked best (for her) was one I could not see over! Of course, I didn't much care for that. I think part of that problem is that she is just slightly taller than I am anyway, which is then compounded by the pillion seat (on most motorcycles) being 3-4 inches higher than my seat. So she definitely sits "taller" on the motorcycle.

My life on my BMW was quietened by attaching an AreoFlow screen www.aeroflowscreens.com/

and buying a BMW systems helmet (made by Schuberth).

Silence... I could hear the tires contacting the road. The thrum of the big twin comforts me. The dreadful wind blast into my helmet with the stock shield and an aftermarket Cee Bailey Eurocut 2.5+ was awful. My shoulders are protected better on long cold runs also.

Caution. These shields are too hot in summer. Switch back to stock. My take.

Linz :)

This thread got me thinking it's time for a new helmet so went to the Arai site and found that the Quantum II is no longer and has been replaced with the RX2.......Good website, BTW, to learn about Arai's different models for different shapped heads and more about helmets....One item mentioned is that noise is worse with a helmet that is too big and that most people buy them too big.....

+1 on correct sizing and people buying too large

+1 on correct sizing and people buying too large

Correction........I referred to the "RX2" Arai, it's "RXQ"....Went by my nearby Cycle Gear and the kids in there haven't even heard of the RXQ let alone have some to try on....New item not in real distribution yet I guess....

trailbuster530
... Since we're talking about helmets ...

What is the quietest helmet. Jane wants quiet above all! Venting (which usually increases noise) or anything else is secondary.

Unfortunately, since you can't road-test a helmet, we can only hope to find quiet one. What is the collective wisdom here?

Tks,

Hey there peter....Long time no chat.

I too have switched to the RF-1100 and it is pretty quiet. Funny part is that my old Shoei X-8 air from 20 years ago is quieter than the RF but overall I am very happy with the purchase. I can tell you that when you open the back vents you will only want to open the ones furthest out as the other 2 make for a fair amount of noise.

This does move a good amount of air through it on hot days as I had a chance to test in Vegas at 106 last sunday.

Chris has the Arai RX7 and loves it for how light it is, vents, and she never complains about noise levels....Might be something to look into also.

Thanks for all the information, all of you.

Hi Eric. Good to hear from you. I didn't recognize your new "name". Greetings to Chris and all of you. We hope you are all doing well.

trailbuster530

We are doing very well. My oldest will be a Sr next year and chris has been back at school for the past 3 years. Our youngest is still keeping us busy with her activities too.

Will have to let you know the next time we pull away for a bodega bay trip.

I have always modified my helmets so that they vent properly and so that they are quieter. Maybe I am buying the wrong helmets but brand has not seemed to matter in the past. It seems that usually the foam vents are not aligned with the helmet vents very well or, in one case, at all. As for noise I agree that the ear area in most helmets needs work. Smoother outer shell seems to help but a windshield and plugs work the best.

Suggest that fit and comfort are primary and should be the first consideration.......Good foam ear plugs or fitted ear plugs from Arizona Al with an Ipod will take care of a lot of noise as suggested above.......

I too vote for Arai Quantum II....Wouldn't buy anything else.....Fits my head great and is comfortable after changing to different sized cheek pads but it's not what I would call "quiet" in there.......I wear Al's plugs or foam ones....

The fit and neck roll determine major noise reduction as well as does overall design ...

We've been trying, unsuccessfully, to address that problem for almost 10 years, through various windshields. The one that worked best (for her) was one I could not see over! Of course, I didn't much care for that. I think part of that problem is that she is just slightly taller than I am anyway, which is then compounded by the pillion seat (on most motorcycles) being 3-4 inches higher than my seat. So she definitely sits "taller" on the motorcycle.

Answer: Side car. Covered side car. :grin:

As for a helmet, my old Shoei RF700 was much quieter than my current X-11. Sadly this was the only bucket of several dozen tried on that fit my odd noggin. It's quieter with the some of the vents closed, especially the hairline one, but the chin one helps, too. Of course, I'm in FL and need all the cooling I can get. :(

I wear foam earplugs for highway riding but go without for around town stuff.

For helmet safety comparison info try: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/home It's a UK website and model names don't always transfer directly to US models but a good resource.

Archived