IGNORED

Ear Phones

Lmar

I'm looking for a set of ear phones for my iPod Touch that will stay in my ears when I ride, any suggestions?

If you see Arizona Al at a rally, get his earphones. They are the BEST audio purchase I've ever made. Most highly recommended!!

Dwight

The Etymotic ER6i's work great for me.

+1 The sound quality is amazing even at speed.

agree, been using them for years. can wear them on my mower and tractor as well for tunes and noise cancellation.

You might also want to consider S-Plug earphones. I've used them for several years on the bike and when flying, and they're great. They do an amazing job of isolating outside noise while providing super audio from the hearing aid transducers used in them. Another plus is that they never catch on the helmet padding. The only downside is the cost.

http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/PROD/motorcycle-headsets/S22SP

Dave

Beemer_Nancy

Agree on the ER6i's. Recently lost a set at a stop and just picked up a new set. Love them. Can ride all day and night with them and their good even if you turn the tunes off.

Bronx Cheer

I have both the ER6is and AZ Al's. The sound is fantastic with both but I find Al's to be more comfortable inside my helmet. If you decide on the ER6is, do some shopping on line. If you buy them direct from the company you will pay too much.

I have both the ER6is and AZ Al's. The sound is fantastic with both but I find Al's to be more comfortable inside my helmet. If you decide on the ER6is, do some shopping on line. If you buy them direct from the company you will pay too much.

You need to experiment with all the inner ear options available for the ER6is. The foam works much better than the rubber.

I really like the e6is, after ordering a different set of ends. The triple tree ones were a bit deep for may shallow ear canals. My favorite "all things headphones" guys at http://headphone.com/ recommended trimming off the last limb of the tree and trying that. I ended up ordering a bag of them. They work great. I also wear them to the hockey games to drown out the annoying announcer, while listening to the game on the radio. Really cut the noise.

In response to:

Poster: Whip

Subject: Re: Ear Phones

Originally Posted By: Bronx Cheer

You need to experiment with all the inner ear options available for the ER6is. The foam works much better than the rubber.

Looks like the ER6i's will be my first choice. I think I will also order the foam ear tips and try them.

Since we will be going to Arizona in 3 weeks, I will order them from Amazon and get free shipping to Arizona. Is $75.00 for the 6i's a reasonable price?

Thanks for the replies.

$75 is a good price. I have paid north of $100 for both pairs I have owned. A note on the ER-6i's... They are not really designed for the rough handling that putting on and taking off helmets subject them to, so be gentle in your handling or the cord will break loose. DAMHIK.

JT

In response to:

Poster: jaytee

Subject: Re: Ear Phones

$75 is a good price. I have paid north of $100 for both pairs I have owned. A note on the ER-6i's... They are not really designed for the rough handling that putting on and taking off helmets subject them to, so be gentle in your handling or the cord will break loose. DAMHIK.

JT

Thanks for the tip JT.

Beemer_Nancy

I paid $64.99 on Amazon on 5/20. No tax, free shipping. They charged more for white than black.

I guess some folks want to look like they are using ipod plugs.

Recently I purchased a set of aiaiai iphone earbuds. they work great with my autocom.

I like them for the follwoing reason:

1. The wire is much stouter than what you normally expect to find on earbuds.

2. available colors: Mine are road sign orange and serve as a visual reminder. (I destroyed my pair of Bose earbuds when I stuffed my jacket in the side case and the wire/earbud got caught in the side case jam as I shut and locked the side case! :dopeslap:

3. Price: i paid $65.00

4. options you can purchase with or without the inline mike.

5. came with multiple rubber earbud sizes (4 different sizes for customized fit) + foam heads as well!

6. sound quality: in my experience with scores of other earbuds the bass response is often lost. Not with these!

Al's earplugs never worked for me - cords/speakers pulled out twice...never got a good seal - tries 3 times to fix them...no worky -- must be my ears.

Ultimate Ear - in ear, try the 5 series pro. THEE best bass response of anything I've ever had on my head.

ER-6i's are close...they just don't give ya the thump that the UE do.

Both seal wonderfully.

They ain't cheap - but....they don't break either.

I agree with the Al's. I tried them for a while, but it bothers the heck out of me to have something that deep in my ear canal. I couldn't wear them for more than an hour or two.

I currently use the er6i's and like them. If they break, I'll get a pair of the S-plugs. I know two different people who went to them from the er6i's and like them better.

I have the ER-4P's. Similar to the ER-6I's but a step up in audio quality. I use the foam inserts with them and get great isolation and great audio. I've them for several years. Twice, one channel has quit working due to a flexible wire going bad......twice....Etymotic has repaired them FREE of charge. Can't say enough about Etymotic customer service.

When you get the ER6 be sure to get some extra filters. They gradually plug up with dirt/wax - I get ~ 4 months on a filter set using them on airplanes, the RT, the bicycle and CTrain. Once your sure of the type of ear tip you like you can order multiple sets as well.

Be careful ordering replacements. I ordered from the web at a good price and failed to notice the shipping was UPS not US Postal. The $35 purchase cost me an extra $30 to clear customs entering Alberta because of the UPS flat rate approach. US Postal mails right through if it is a small item. Best to have delivered to a US address or at least stock up with other items so the brokerage charge isn't as painful.

Grumpy-ol-Fart

I have to make a plug for Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10's. The most amazing sounding earphones I have ever heard. Only drawback is they are slightly larger than many ear bud style phones, but if your helmet has speaker pockets they shouldn't be a problem. If you've never heard a triple driver ear bud, you won't believe what real bass from an ear bud is like...

ER6 gets my vote. 3+

With respect to the delicate wires, I bought some very small o-rings at the hardware store that slip over the body of the earphone and nestle around the smallest diameter of the neck of the earphone body. I tied a knot in both ends of a short piece (3/4") of dental floss and slipped one end under the o-ring. One for each earphone. I use the free end of the dental floss, which also has a knot in it to remove the earphones.

Since I went to this solution I have not had anymore problems caused by pulling the earphones out with the wires. Before I solved this problem I was going through two sets of ER6 a year.

Cheers!

Todd

Archived