IGNORED

Garage Floor - Anyone have Racedeck?

pbharvey

Looking at installing a modular tile flooring system in our garage. Does anyone have Racedeck ? Want to make sure it's not too slick for the bike.

This is all Racedeck. It's great stuff:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

tile.jpg

I ordered it straight from the manufacturer in Utah and got a discount. I ordered four different styles for pattern purposes. Nate and I had it installed in just a couple hours total. The individual pieces trim up nicely with a jigsaw.

That's as clean as an operating theatre........Very impressive.... :thumbsup: I can imagine the tool boxes are filled with every necessary implement too..

Yeah, you're right. I'm very fortunate and grateful to have a well-equipped garage. Not shown are a full set of Festool work working gear, which I use more than the mechanical/air stuff.

Thanks. I just wanted to clean up my floor a little and now I want...well, a little more. I'm thinking a cappuccino machine and perhaps a fireplace, and a bigger TV than that measly thing you have. :grin:

Seriously though, very nicely done. (right down to the Lennox air handler)

So riding the motorbike over those tiles, not too slippery?

Better or worse than the concrete floor?

Not slippery at all. We've had it down for 2+ years now and it's as good as new. What I really like about it:

1) Warmer in winter.

2) Cooler in summer.

3) Cleans up really easily, with a vacuum or a broom.

I'm considering the Race Deck for my garage makeover as well. One concern I have is how it handles the slush/sand/ice crap that fall off the wheel wells in the winter. It really makes quite a mess. It seems that this type garbage would just get under the flooring and accumulate. Is that an issue with you in your climate David?

We get some snow (6x a year?) and a fair bit of salt, plus lots of rain. It just evaporates or slides down through the cracks and drains via the sloped concrete. I mop it every six months or so to get any accumulated salt or dirt off. Mostly, I just run the shop vac over it every couple of months.

My experience with Racedeck is over at least 5 years. I agree with all the above. No problem with the Winter mess. I have it in the garage with the cars, and in my separate bike shop (Art Gallery?) I do put small pieces of sheet metal under the side or center stands of the bikes. The side stand on the Goldwing that I had did dent the floor, albeit only slightly.

Do you glue it down?

The previous owner of the house we bought put down an epoxy coating, and I like it, but he didn't prep the concrete properly and it's flaking off.

cali_beemer

I looked at that flooring when I did the floor in my garage. Its very nice but I didnt have the budget for it. I always wanted a black and white checker floor so I went to home depot. I bought some floor prep on the concrete floor and after some serious cleaning, I layed down black and white vinyl floor tiles. The beuty is that if one goes bad, its peel and stick. Anyone can do it and looks good. The down sides, The side stand will eventually damage them after a long ride. The sidestand is hot and heats up the adhesive. I now use the centerstand and I have a cloth kitchen mat on the floor where the bike gets parked. I think it cost roughly 200 bucks or so for a 2 car garage

Sorry but this is the best I could find for a picture:

lift1.jpg

Another option is Costco, which has a Racedeck like solution. It's a little cheaper but not quite as substantial (tiles are thinner).

That's as clean as an operating theatre........Very impressive.... :thumbsup: I can imagine the tool boxes are filled with every necessary implement too..

+1 operating theatre

very nice garage indeed

Wow! And BeniciaRT_GT Richard calls his place a "man cave". I think we have now defined the term!

RoanokeRider
I layed down black and white vinyl floor tiles. The beuty is that if one goes bad, its peel and stick. Anyone can do it and looks good.

lift1.jpg

Do the floor tiles get slippery when wet? Does spilled oil and other fluids effect the tiles? I had thought about floor tiles but worried about them being slippery.

We keep two cars and my RT in our double car garage. I guess its time to ask my wife if she can park her car outside. I need a garage like this.

We keep two cars and my RT in our double car garage. I guess its time to ask my wife if she can park her car outside. I need a garage like this.

Let us know how that plays out, will you?

bmurphypdx

FWIW, I went to a "Ranch and Home" store and bought interlocking horse stall mats - they are about 4 ft x 8 ft, I think. Inexpensive and designed to withstand the weight of a horse and impervious to horse "fluids". About 1 1/2" thick rubber - easy on the knees. Certainly not as fancy as some of the above options but works great and is easy to clean.

cali_beemer
I layed down black and white vinyl floor tiles. The beuty is that if one goes bad, its peel and stick. Anyone can do it and looks good.

lift1.jpg

Do the floor tiles get slippery when wet? Does spilled oil and other fluids effect the tiles? I had thought about floor tiles but worried about them being slippery.

No problem with oil that I have had. Again, if one gets damaged, it can be replaced inexpensively. Is it slippery when wet? Yes, but not like what I expected it to be. I dont find it really bad and since its not wet often, it has not been an issue. If you have linolieum floors, how slippery is that to you? If this were my dream house and I saw myself living here for 10+years then I would have done the profesional floor rolling that the local garage store does. Not the same as the do it yourself roll on kit. However that was going to cost alot of money!

Okay, but can you tell us if synthetic oil is more slippery than dino on those tiles? :P Sorry, I couldn't help myslef, it's been one of those days.

cali_beemer
Okay, but can you tell us if synthetic oil is more slippery than dino on those tiles? :P Sorry, I couldn't help myslef, it's been one of those days.

Depends, are you in reference to Amsoil or Mobil 1?...........LOL :)

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Racedeck flooring today. The company was great to deal with and the product is well made. Here's a quick picture

P1000190.jpg

cali_beemer
Got my Racedeck flooring today. The company was great to deal with and the product is well made. Here's a quick picture

P1000190.jpg

Very nice....but wheres the stuff that goes in the garage...? LOL

WOW......clearly you guys are setting the bar pretty high. I will have to really get to work if you ever stop by our house, clean out the straw, scrape of the dripped on road salt, sweep out the gravel that I steal from the county roads.......Oh never mind.......new address to follow.

This is all Racedeck. It's great stuff:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

tile.jpg

I ordered it straight from the manufacturer in Utah and got a discount. I ordered four different styles for pattern purposes. Nate and I had it installed in just a couple hours total. The individual pieces trim up nicely with a jigsaw.

Wow, what time is dinner served ...

I even have a TV and that red "bed" that goes up and down, so now when I get kicked out of the house it's not a huge deal. :grin:

I even have a TV and that red "bed" that goes up and down, so now when I get kicked out of the house it's not a huge deal. :grin:

Ha! David if I spent that much on my garage.... I would be kicked out! :D

Archived