IGNORED

Puncture repair kit

tazplas

I did a search for the above but couldn't find any conclusive threads so here we are.

What's the general consensus out there and is there a preferred kit or type?

I've a trip coming up later this year (on my RT) in the 'Outback' so would like to get a repair kit of some type.

Cheers

Steve

I've taken the "2 is better than 1" approach. I carry a Dynaplug kit since it has been my experience that some holes are too small to easily get a standard rope-type plug to fit, and I don't want to ream the hole out until they do fit. For larger holes I carry a rope-type, but I also carry a pvc tee to make inserting the plug easier on my palm. The final tool in the arsenal is an awl. I use it to find the path of the puncture.

I have had great success with the Aerostitch kit. I have had to use it on three occasions (once on my own bike) and it was easy to do and the plug held up well with 2-up and luggage. Small and easy to carry too.

Survived-til-now

See the other post currently running about the pro's and con's of tyre repair (and my two-cents worth on technique!!!)

Hein Gerike and others sell the "Tip-Top Rep & Air" tyre repair kit identical to the one that came with my BMW (HG part 36101010010) it has the glue, reamer, razor blade etc and (importantly) the do-nut shaped tyre plugs that give you a nice mushroom-shaped plug inside the tyre when inserted properly. It may be wise to buy extra plugs and an extra glue tube.

Do not rely on the CO2 mini-cylinders except perhaps to get the tyre started; you need the excellent Slime 12volt inflator that co-incidently fits neatly in the storage compartment (if you haven't got the radio).

I have used the Tip-Top kit many times and if you follow the instructions you get a good repair first time. If the hole is big or ragged it doesn't work as well but at least it got me home (and that is where the Slime pump comes in!)

Andy

..... The final tool in the arsenal is an awl. I use it to find the path of the puncture.

This I feel is very important as I destroyed my first Dynaplug tool not knowing the trajectory of the puncture.

A 16 penny nail is compact & I always have a mini vice grip on board to serve as a handle if need be.

I carry both a Dynaplug for small holes & gummy worms for the big ones.

My last flat (see here) was so large that even after shoving all the worms & most of the Dynaplugs it would only hold air for 15-20 miles on a very loooong 50+ mile home trip.

I plugged/patched this tire & rode it to the cords.

I've taken the "2 is better than 1" approach. I carry a Dynaplug kit since it has been my experience that some holes are too small to easily get a standard rope-type plug to fit, and I don't want to ream the hole out until they do fit. For larger holes I carry a rope-type, but I also carry a pvc tee to make inserting the plug easier on my palm. The final tool in the arsenal is an awl. I use it to find the path of the puncture.

That awl has come in very handy a couple of times for us as it's a very good wine cork puller...... :grin:

Been lucky and hate to mention it :(, but we haven't had to use the Monkey Grip rope type or the mushroom head plugger...Carry both types and a Slime pump..

Great stuff so far. Keep them coming.

I had also read the recent thread about repairing a tyre and that's what prompted this one.

Cheers

Steve

I just use the cheap little "monkey grip" rope units sold at auto parts stores. Off the top of my head, I've used it maybe 5 times. Four of those were 100% and lasted the life of the tire (one was on a brand new tire). The 4th one had a slow leak, but I ran it until the tire was worn out anyway (about 5000 miles).

I'm sure other plug kits would be as good, maybe better. Monkey Grip is probably one of the cheapest. Just be sure to use a 12V pump. those CO2 thingys are junk, and you'll be there past sundown with a little hand pump.

Poke around on youtube, etc. there's some good how-to videos out there.

Nealy Tire Repair Kit

This one seems to work very well. Used it once on a riders split tire. Rode it home several hundered miles without issue. No cement needed.

Read the FAQ

Usual disclaimer, just a happy customer.

Another +1 on the Nealy kit. I've used it twice on other peoples bikes and it worked perfectly. Plus ANY company that will send the product AND an Invoice to pay for it AFTER they ship it to you is a company I like doing business with.

I was hit-and-miss with Stop-N-Go mushroom plugs. They'd seal... and then leak 10 or 30 minutes later. I bat 1000 with those Monkey Grip sticky string kits. I used to strip the case off a cheap 12V compressor to save space but the Slime brand unit I have now is nice and compact.

I've made up my own kits. Brown rope plugs that are available from auto suppliers are what we use at the shop and are trouble free. You can buy a cheap reamer and plug installer kit at any auto parts store or buy better quality from a tool dealer like Snap-on. There are quite a few CO2 rigs available on the internet some good and some not so good. Carrying an extra CO2 cylinder or two is a good idea because it is much easier to push a plug into an inflated tire.

Archived