IGNORED

BMW Navi IV and the falling euro

So it looks as if the common price for a Navi IV in euorpe is 750 euro. Since the exchange rate is about $1.20/euro and VAT runs about 20% it appears that it would be cheaper to buy a Nav IV in Germany than the US providing the retailer can provide an export certificate so I can get a refund for the VAT. The lowest price I have seen for it is $900 plus another bill for the bike specific mount. I looked at the price of additional maps on Garmin's website. Adding the North American map will cost you $99. To add to the european maps is $150 A savings of another $50.

Does anyone see a flaw in my thinking here?

One thing I found interesting on Garmin's website regarding lifetime map upgrades is that lifetime seems to be defined as "until your product's useful life expires". Who determines what the useful life is?

The Nav4 is a nuisance. We've had a couple of customers return them to the dealer and buy a Zumo 660 or 665 online.

The Nav4 cradle does not have stereo audio out, and unless you use Bluetooth, there's not way to get stereo out, either. Furthermore. BMW-NA is of no help regarding support, the dealers (at the least the one's in New England) don't know zip about it either, and Garmin just refers back to BMW for support.

Save your dough and buy the Garmin directly.

RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY VERY FAST from the Navi IV. I had the Navi III, terrible support, the text to speech quit 6 months after I got it and the dealer said it was a systme flaw the occured due to the conflict of the original Garmin Software and the added BMW software. Now I went with the 660, and it doesn't get any esier, one hot wire and one ground or negative and boom you're up and running. BMW builds the best bikes and cars in the world, but dabbling in this is not thier high point. Save themoney and many mnay headaches...and remember Keep It Simple...go with the Garmin, cheaper and easier. Oh and did I mention additinal apps, yeah with the BMW unit you can zero the unit trying to add things like radar camera placement ot voices, with the Garmin pure, you're o.k.

Yes, there is a major flaw in your thinking. You assume that in adding the US maps they will work the same as if the unit started with US maps. I have several garmin units bought in the states with added euro maps for my moto trips to europe.

The flaw? You will not get any detail until you get down to about the 3 mile scale on the added maps. If you use a higher scale in your travels it will be very frustrating. It is ok for a trip abroad but using it full time at home would be a real pain.

Archived