IGNORED

Using an IPhone?

Angel

Looking for some insight on how well (or not) the iphone functions with an autocom installation. Not concerned about mounting or installation only about how well does it function eg can you make receive phone calls, maps? and other applications used?

Firefight911

I use my iPhone with my Autocom.

It's bluetoothed to the Zumo. I jave full phone functionality through the Zumo interface right down to keypad touch.

I leave the phone in the top case and don't worry about it or it's in my K13GT glove box when it needs a charge as I have the glove box set up for this.

Receiving and making calls is a breeze. Caller ID works perfectly and my contact list auto populated.

Firefight911

I'm running a Zumo 550.

In order for a phone to work you will need to have a bluetooth dongle OR hard wire connection for your ability to talk in addition to the hard wire connection for XM, MP3, GPS Navigation, etc.

I have a hard line stereo connection that carries all my Zumo XM, GPS, MP3 signals to my Autocom. I then have a bluetooth dongle for phone only communication.

The Zumo has two bluetooth devices within it. I link the phone to the Zumo and the Zumo to the Autocom.

The settings are on the Zumo to allow you to manipulate how/what the connections are.

You can charge directly off an accessory port or you can run a pigtail direct to battery. I run an SAE connection direct to battery. I then have the ability to hook up a Battery Tender, Cycle Pump, or phone charger to it. I have the termination to my SAE pigtail ending up in the glove box. It's out of the way and easily accessible.

You can use the iPhone either thru a GPS like a Zumo, as described, or you may connect it with part #2194, which is an iPhone-specific lead (for the 2009 Autocom units), or connect to a Super Pro AVI or Active Plus into Aux2.

If you direct connect with the 2194, answering calls is a bit of a challenge, but we could modify the lead with a button to answer calls. The iPhone's screen is difficult to operate with gloves on.

When using the 2194 lead, you'll want to run on the iPhone's internal battery and not charge the phone from the bike.

Hope that helps.

LeftCoastMan
The iPhone's screen is difficult to operate with gloves on.

Actually, it's pretty close to impossible. The iPhone screen requires the skin of the fingers so it can register a change in capacitance. Gloves (leather or textile) just can't do that. Some people have tried everything from cutting off the tip of one finger of the glove to using all kinds of glove materials. All failed.

Archived