IGNORED

custom ear plugs with speakers

Sir Twisty

Hi To all

Like many others, I am very concerned with protecting my hearing, so I always wear ear plugs.I'd like to go to some custom fitted ear plugs with built in speakers so that on occassion, I can listen to music.

Hears where the dilemna starts for me, amd hopefully someone has an answer.

I also have a IMC intrecom system so that when riding 2 up, my wife and I can talk.

This system has a microphone and speakers in each helmet, which go thru ann amp plugged into the bikes electrical system.

The speakers are located in the helmets ear pockets.

When using this system, I can't wear ear plugs, because then I can't hear my wife talking, plus the helmet becomes to noisy.

Where I'd like to end up, is to be able to toss the IMC helmet speakers and use the custom plugs all the time instead.

My question therefore is-- is there a way to use the custom plugs/speaker set up with the microphone system.

I guess somehow they would have to be connected together by a connector,as i'd still like the option of disconnectin from the intercom when riding solo and plugging into my I-Pod.

Any suggestions????

Thanks

Sir Twisty

Peter Parts

1. Loudspeakers need to be heard over the ambient noise din. That's loud. Duh. Not so with ear plug speakers.

2. I think fear of hearing damage on bikes is not well understood and simple obvious audiology tests to confirm that old bikers have worse hearing have not been done, to my knowledge. Best to err on the side of caution, of course, but short trips are less of a risk.

3. We have an intercom set. PIA. But we seem to be happier communicating less with talk and more with gestures, as needed. More bikerly.

4. Basic concept is "control at source" - have you done all you feasibly can to reduce the noise?

Ben

Are you plugged-into the jolly Airheadz group in Ontario? We should be having some tech days soon.

I can't speak to your specific system, but I can give you an idea what I do with my Autocom intercom. Shortly after installing the Autocom, I wanted to do exactly what you now want to do, use in-ear monitors and ditch the helmet speakers that were supplied in the Autocom kit. It was easy to do because Autocom made a helmet lead cable with an adapter box built into it. The plug on the end of my in-ear monitors (3.5mm I think) simply plugs into the adapter box. I just cut the wires to the helmet speakers, folded back the wires and wrapped the ends with electrical tape. Autocom now makes a headset specifically designed for use with in-ear monitors. It has no speakers, but uses a short fly lead that hangs out of the helmet into which you plug the wire from the in-ear monitors. I found the helmet speakers uncomfortable and the sound quality while wearing ear plugs not that good. Using custom-molded in-ear monitors (from Arizona Al on this Board) was a vast improvement. They function like regular ear plugs while delivering sound at the same time. The drivers for the sound are not in the plugs, but rather are located at the Y-junction where the sound tubes (hollow plastic tubes) from each ear meet down below.

I'd contact the manufacturer of your intercom, or a dealer who sells it, and ask if they supply an adapter/lead for in-ear monitors.

AdirondackJack

Following up on Marcopolo's concept. . . . . . .If you were to use an Autocomm system as your audio traffic cop, you can buy the lead that Marcopolo suggested (with the exception that they are in short supply just now), and you do not have to cut your helmet leads to the helmet speakers. The lead automatically disables the ear speakers in the helmet whenever molded ear plug speakers are plugged into it. The issues which I have experienced with the molded ear plug speakers are several:

1. They can become uncomfortable after only a short period of time wearing them (even if they are custom molded to your ears like Al's).

2. Between the music in your ears, and the blocking of sound from outside you can run the chance of not being able to hear an important audio cue from the traffic around you. [My wife reports she honked at me from behind 10 times one day last summer when we were traveling together (she in a chase car) and that I failed to hear her]. Apart from the obvious positive benefits of me getting to experience relief from marital bliss if just for only a moment, she was not very pleased with me.

3. The risk of injury to your ears from a loud noise from which you cannot escape is magnified when you are using amplified earbuds.

Just my 2 cents!

Dave R.

2. I think fear of hearing damage on bikes is not well understood and simple obvious audiology tests to confirm that old bikers have worse hearing have not been done, to my knowledge. Best to err on the side of caution, of course, but short trips are less of a risk.

Just a quick point. Although there are no studies (that I am aware of) specific to old bikers and hearing loss, there is very good evidence that noise levels inside a full face helmet (many makes tested) on a bike at highway speeds are more than enough to be potentially damaging. Those who ride for long periods of time at speed are at significant risk for noise induced hearing loss over time. Since it's a cumulative process, even short rides will add up over time.

Most foam/silicone plugs have a noise reduction rating (NRR) of about 25-30 dB. Custom plugs will be slightly less than that, as they are made of a denser material (silicone or latex base). Most audiology clinics will be able to make custom plugs that have a blank that will accept most common earphones. If you have an earplug with a good noise reduction rating, you won't have to turn up the volume of your music/intercom to dangerous levels.

Also, try Etymotic ER6i insert earphones. They have a NRR comparable to most plugs and provide great sound.

AdirondackJack

Hey Username-

Thanks for the heads up on the Etymotic ER6i insert earphones.

Ordered a pair for $69 +$4 shipping just now from Provantage.

Thanks again, Dave R.

That's a pretty good price. They've come down 20 or 30 bucks. You will like them, and there are lots of different tips available to get the fit you like.

AdirondackJack

After I ordered them, I noticed that some people had used the ER-4's. Do you think that they are worth the significant increase in cost (approx. +$100-$150)?

We just custom molded a pair of these, Ear Fuze for my wife. She has some odd shaped ears and I've spent a small fortune trying to find a suitable pair for her. We'll get our first test this weekend.

After I ordered them, I noticed that some people had used the ER-4's. Do you think that they are worth the significant increase in cost (approx. +$100-$150)?

I haven't tried the 4's. I used the 6i's on my VTR and my VStrom, I did like them a lot, great sound and great NRR. I tend not to use them now with the beemer, as it has the stereo and I can hear it well enough with just foam plugs. I haven't heard much about the 4's.

We just custom molded a pair of these, Ear Fuze for my wife. She has some odd shaped ears and I've spent a small fortune trying to find a suitable pair for her. We'll get our first test this weekend.

Albert, I have used those for a couple years now because I have some issues with my ears as well. They work ok, but are not all that I had hoped for. YMMV, but watch your expectations for them.

Archived