IGNORED

It's gonna be HOT!

Groanup

Hey y'all,

I am taking my RT on a trip from Socal to my hometown of Des Moines, IA in July for a family reunion (thus missing the UN... :cry:)

I know it's gonna be hot through the deserts, and it seems that those on this board who have many many more miles under their belts than I mostly suggest using a cooling vest/vented jacket (not mesh) combo.

A couple questions o' learned ones:

1) I don't feel much air movement inside my vented jacket behind the RT's fairing even when in the full down position. Will a cooling vest make a very big difference?

2) What do those who have experience with them recomend as far as what type/brand vest?

TIA

I posed a similar question last year regarding hot weather riding. Bill Walker replied with the following post:

Poster: Bill_Walker

Subject: Re: Hydration Pack Recommendation

For riding across the desert (which happens on any ride east from here), I have an Aerostich evap-o-danna, a Cool Medics evaporative skull cap, and a Cool Medics evaporative vest, which I refer to collectively as my "air conditioning". I've ridden when it was 117 F, and while I was hot, I still felt alert and focused. In lower temps, I may not use all 3 pieces. I generally carry them in zip-loc bags already soaked, so I can take them out and put them to immediate use at any time and place.

I bought a cool medics vest and the cool medics bandana as well as camelback hydration pack. Never had to use the vest last year, did use the cool medics bandana. It felt good riding thru Salt Lake City when the temperature was 102 degrees.

Tourmaster Transition 2 works best for me for CA and desert southwest road riding.

Get the light tan version or silver or maybe the high vis version,they are cooler.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Transition-Series-2-Jacket-p-240_3.html

If you don't like the length,think they make a waist length jacket that is similar.

Another good option:

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/gt_air/gt_air.htm

Read the customer testimonials.

Irv Seaver BMW,close to you,carries Olympia.

I always use a hydration pack,my current is a 70oz.Camelbak "classic"

That way I can keep constantly hydrated,rather than stopping to try and gulp down drinks to rehydrate.

I use a Silver Eagle brand cooling vest,good for two plus hours in the summer.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/silver-eagle/cooling-vest.htm

The newer versions are black or silver and look a bit different than pictured in the older review.

http://www.silvereagleoutfitters.com/shop/vest/MCV.html

JR356

Well, this might be a little pricey, but after picking one up just before Fall Torrey last year, I'm a believer. From 38 degrees at blastoff just outside of Torrey to 107 degrees in Las Vegas on the way back west, this little appliance kept me very comfortable, in a non-breathing jacket.. I must confess I need to stay as cool as possible in hot weather, so this item was a neat addition to the summer riding gear.

Linky

My only complaint was the length of time the vest would stay cool between Ice fillups...I purchased the small ice chest to go with the vest. I talked to the owner when I got back and he exchanged the small chest for the larger chest for the difference in price only. Good people to work with and a neat idea for a summer cooler.

YMMV, but I think they have a winner....

AdirondackJack

Heck-

Did you use the cooler in combination with both the cooling vest and the hydration pack on the outside of your jacket? Thanks, Dave R.

I apppreciate all the ideas and advice.

I'd love to get a Transition 2. Nice looking jacket and looks like plenty of ventilation, however... My hours just got cut again and my disposable income is down to just about nuthin. I'm pretty much stuck with either my Cortech GX Sport textile (black...) or my GX Air mesh (yellow). I'm up in the air over which jacket to go with. The arguments against mesh are valid, but I hesitate to wear black.

I have spent some money for a CamelBak classic for hydration and a Fieldsheer Iceburg cooling vest. I also took a tip from Paul M. and got a tinted faceshield so my face wont get quite so cooked. Once I get the vest, I'll test it with both jackets and come up with a plan.

Heck, that thing looks like just the ticket, and I'm gonna start saving my pennies so that maybe I can get one of those for next summer. Looks like the next best thing to AC!

Heck-

Did you use the cooler in combination with both the cooling vest and the hydration pack on the outside of your jacket? Thanks, Dave R.

No- I used the external cooler connected with dual hose to the vest. Plugged into the bike powerlet and all under my Kilamanjaro Jacket...

It was great til the ice melted..... then got a little warm quickly. Haven't tried the new cooler yet, but if I get 1 1/2 to 2 x the ice life, it'll coincide with time to get off the bike for a few minutes anyway. Or gas stops.

Anyhoo- its a winner.

markgoodrich

Another alternative is phase-change inserts/vests. One brand is: http://www.glaciertek.com/ but there are others, all similar.

These things do work, and are especially better than evaporative vests in humid climates. They're a little more trouble to use than the evap vests.

You can cool the inserts down in the freezer, or in slushy ice water (a soft cooler is good for this) in about 20 minutes, after they've "melted." They last less than an hour with a mesh jacket, about an hour and a half with something less air-permeable. I use a windproof vest under my mesh. Lower tech than Heck's AC system, but less stuff to fiddle with, too. Saturday I rode in 94 degree, ten million percent humidity for a little over an hour and a half with the vest, and was comfortable until the last 15 minutes or so.

You'll catch grief from your less-charitable friends, but you'll be able to stay cool.

Archived