IGNORED

Inexpensive source for Oilhead Glass Mat Batteries

tpfeffer

I have been away from the forum, so this may be an old topic. If so, please just ignore...

Anyway, I just replaced the battery in the 2000 R1100RT with a generic Glass Mat Battery I found at Action Battery in Omaha. The model is UB12180, which translates to Universal Battery (the manufacturer), 12 volt, 18 AH. I know this is less than the 22 AH rating of the stock battery, but for $39 I thought it worth a try. So far, after 3 weeks, all is working fine.

This place http://www.batterywholesale.com/battery-store/proddetail.html?prodID=377 suggests the battery is used for UPS backup systems, Emergency Lights, Alarm systems, etc. The dimensions are exactly that of the OEM battery. All I had to do was drill out the hole in the tabs to 1/4 inch to accept the 6 mm bolt. They also make a 22 AH version (UB12220), the same size, but Action battery didn't have it in stock.

Tom

tpfeffer@gmail.com

Hi Tom

I have used both the UB12180 and UB12220 in some of my motorcycles and even my garden tractor. So far the battery performance part itself has been much better than I ever expected. I have a 12220 in a high performance snowmobile and it will crank up flawlessly even in sub zero temperatures.

They are not all roses though as I have failed a couple at the rather flimsy battery posts. Those batteries are made for stationary power source applications so have less than robust battery posts. In fact the battery post tabs are very thin and weak with weak connections to the battery internals.

When installing and using those type batteries long term all the load has to be taken off the battery cables so there is no vertical or side loading on the battery posts.

On my off road bikes that have that type of battery I bend up little stainless steel L shaped support tabs to bolt to the battery posts then rest on the battery case top, that helps distribute the cable load into the case as well as the connection to the battery internals.

Archived