IGNORED

Replacement lock mechanism for factory luggage?

Shuffler

Anybody know if the locking mechanism on the factory luggage is replaceable?

In my case, the orange latch that slides into the sidecase handle to keep it from being lifted and removed from the bike is broken. Wish I'd caught this when I bought it from the previous owner...

Not a big deal, but it'd be nice to be able to replace it.

BMW will be happy to sell you the entire latching mechanism for some outrageous price. Place an ad on the board and you'll likely be able to find one used. Easy to substitute out, and change the lock cylinder.

Thanks...guess I'll take a picture for clarity and post it up, see what happens.

The cylinder is fine, it's just the latch part that broke...maybe I can have a machinist/welder buddy fab a new flat latch for me...will depend how hard it is to get the thing taken apart (??)

If you are talking about the orange tab- it is not sold separately. BMW offers the entire mechanism. If you are talking about the latch itself the same is true. Picture would help. I've actually picked up damaged interior section of a case and pulled the entire latch mechanism off and put on another good carcuss, replace the lock cylinder and wound up with a usable case with same key capability.

any known schematics out there for the flat latch mechanism that shows its assembly/disassembly? Or am I hoping for too much?

I've taken mine apart while waiting for a new box, does this help?

Couple more pictures here: RT Pics

Latch1.jpg

It's all still sitting on the workbench if you need other pictures, just let me know. And no, you can't have MY orange tab!

Would you be kind enough to describe and/or post a picture on how the tab is removed/replaced on the lock mechanism. I have a tab (acquired on ebay) and have yet to attempt replacing the broken one. Thanks in advance.

... describe and/or post a picture on how the tab is removed/replaced on the lock mechanism....

With the multi-fuction box removed from the case (drill out seven rivets, save the washers, remove two roll pins and slide seals off the internal dogs) the external trim covers can be popped off their plastic pins. Note these pins can pop out of their holes with the covers off, so be gentle putting the box down -- they may roll away. I've added a few more pictures here:

RT Pictures

Flip the box over and drill out the two rivets holding the lock cylinder in place. With those rivets out, flip the box back over and look for the washer and spring that likely fell out of the cylinder.

ExplodedCylinder.jpg

that helps...so I guess I need to have my welding buddy just weld a new tab on and then it's time to drink a few beers and file/grind it down enough so that it slides over into the slot...

sort of a PITA, but more cost-effective than getting the new part I'm sure...

I had the same problem with my topbox. The tab is made of some kind of alloy and probably not weldable (I tried to with my MIG welder and failed in a big way).

"Motorworks.co.uk" in the UK sell a replacement pannier lock mechanism which is exactly the same as the topbox lock mechanism.

Kit comes complete with new pop rivets. it was very easy to fit.

After some time spent online looking for used parts to no avail and looking at overseas options, I bought the kit from local dealer ...

Guys, - this was such a great help for me. This forum is just awesome. I broke the orange hatch on my topcase a few days ago and am planning to go on 3 weeks road trip soon - which is kind of inconcenient if you can't lock the topcase. Tried to find this orange hatch everywhere to no avail - then found this thread and ordered it straight away from motorworks in England. Great stuff - should be delivered soon and the plans for the road trip can go ahead.

Thanks for your help, guys - much appreciated!

Archived