IGNORED

Utah Accident

rbstone

A friend and I were in Utah for the WSK race. May 28 riding on Rt. 50 with heavy cross winds we got caught in a sand storm. We had zero visibly in seconds. A woman coming the other way crossed into our lane hit me on the right side knocking off the right cylinder. Then she hit my friend head on. He was on an LT.

He is still in the hospital in Provo with a broken back. He may never walk again. I’m home in upstate NY with a broken right hand and 8 broken ribs.

I have to thank the BMW dealer in Sandy UT for picking my wife at the Salt Lake City airport and bring her to the hospital to be with me. Also they collected my gear and shipped it back to NY at no cost to me. Thanks. Anyone know wher I can get a new one?

My 07 R1200ST is no more. A

CoarsegoldKid

I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Good thoughts go out to your friend still in the hospital. Also glad you hear that you are on the mend. However I don't have information on where a ST can be purchased but will keep my eyes pealed.

beemerman2k

My goodness! I am very sorry for you and your friend. At least you both lived to tell about it.

Good luck replacing your R1200ST. The few who discovered the brilliance of that bike ain't sellin'. I don't blame them, either. I rode one of those in Los Angeles back in 2005. Best bike BMW ever made was my opinion when I got back to the dealership (Brown BMW in Pomona, CA). The K1200S was the most exciting, but when it comes to picking a bike to live with and to ride on a daily basis, the R1200ST had it beat hands down.

Sorry to hear of the mishap. I'm glad the local dealer stepped up to help you out - definitely "above and beyond" on their part. Hopefully the woman who hit you is well-insured.

If a good used ST doesn't materialize, consider a Ducati Multistrada as a replacement for it. Great bike, though not as smooth and refined as the BMW.

Jay

Looks like you may have to settle for an 05. Like James said, not a lot of them out there.

05 with less miles & a little less $ but, you'll have to travel.

05 R1200ST

Pat

best wishes and thoughts for a full and speedy recovery for both of you. Interesting the woman choose left of all directions to wonder into. Me thinks my inclination would be to compensate to the right if in doubt of my position in low/zero viability.

Tragic accident. Hoping for the best for you and your friend. A couple months ago, Ventura BMW in Ventura had an ST that they were selling---it's a long way from NY. The web site--site mash---combines all of craigs list and ebay and you can use filters to narrow it down to the ST

That's very bad news for all. I hope that you recover quickly a great outcome eventuates for your friend.

In spite of your injuries, keep posting; it's good therapy.

Sorry to hear of this terrible accident. Never saw any article on the local news or TV about it.

The dealer, for those who may be interested, must be the new "BMW of Utah" dealership.

One of the members here is BobSheehan,. He has an ST model. He has not said anything about selling but I do know he is pleased with is new ride.

Wishing a good recovery for both of you.

That is terrible. I wish you and especially your friend a full recovery. I have a 1200ST and love it. I have seen several low milage ST's for sale lately in the net, so you should be able to find a replacement.

What an unfortunate and fluke accident. How can these kinds of things happen? You can't even prepare for something like that. I hope your friend and you recover fully and enjoy many more years of riding.

Bruce

I am very sorry to hear of your accident. I wish you and your friend a full recovery!

I got caught in a wind/sand storm twice on the way out to California, once in Utah and once in Nevada. Very dangerous!

If you are looking to replace your ST I just traded mine in. This is the link to the dealership and the bike.

http://www.starr-cycle.com/pages/preownedvehicles/viewvehicledetail/3229/5789/1/1/30357/2005_bmw_r1200st.aspx

If you have more questions about it please feel free to send me a pm. The bike has many extras and is very clean!

Peter Parts

Sorry to hear of your losses.

My wife and I were in Utah for some quite wonderful touring. But we were puzzled by those sandstorm warning signs - and made anxious too. We also don't have "cattle on the road" warnings in Ontario!

In ordinary driving there are various situations that require "analysis" like when you need to pull off the pavement at night - do you leave your lights on for drunks to focus on and hit?

What are the lessons from your sandstorm experience? What should be done in your situation? How would you do it differently next time? Or even, what should the car driver be doing or not doing?

Ben

Edit: OK we have lots of deer and moose warnings. Big hazard around Toronto are the suicidal cyclists.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RB, I heard about your mishap from MartiInMexico over at Eons, but just noticed it here. Sorry to hear about it, and hope you and your friend recover.

Archived