IGNORED

Starcom 1 Digital Clicking noise

Pletch

HELP!!!

I receved my SC digital yesterday and promptly installed it, no challenges there. I tried to make it as clean as possible so I bought the pins to tie into the radio bracket (pins 3, 6, 12 and 14) so that I could use the empty rear speakers and the fader to adjust the voume/sound. I soldered about a 12 or 14 inch standard auto speaker cables lead to the pins, seated the pins in the bracket, re-seated the bracket and did a functions checck...all good. I ran the leads through the gromet and out, tested the radio again, all worked, so I reassembled the box and put the radio back in its secure location.

I ran the leads down the right side frame along with the Zumo 660 interface cable and secured them all to the frame. I soldered the SC provided lead to my speaker leads and used shrink tubes to water proof everything. I connnected the leads according to the instructions and secured the SC Digital box to the right side frame above the rear wheel, away from heat and other electronics.

I ran the power, useing the noise cancelling power lead, directly to the battery positive and the battery negative and plugged in the unit, and to my amazement it powered up then turned off. I plugged in one of my 006 (boom mic) head sets, the thing powered back on and all the pretty lights started flashing. The IT happened, I get an unadjustable clicking or popping sound, loud, in both headsets. I thouhgt...restore to factory defaults first, I thouhgt I did, followed instructions and everything. Still there. So I started the bike, thinkinging it might be because the bike was not running or on...no change. I cycled through the cd player, mp3, radio all of it, no change. Used the fader, worked perfect but still had the clicking/popping, so no fix there. Both headsets plugged in...no change. It doesn't seem to be a problem cnnected to the installation or connections, so i am thinking SC D unit.

I went throught the set-up, but I do't seem to be able to make any adjustments, alomst as though it isn't responding. I hold the three function buttons to go to the default set up, but I can't tell if it is or not.

So, anyone out there have similar problems? HELP!!!

Pletch

Pletch:

I just want to clarify a few things, here. First, you used an Mus-03 cable to connect to the bike's audio system, correct?

Let's do our testing with the ignition off and the engine not running, since the Starcom1 Digital is conected directly to the battery... Is the clicking present when neither the bike's audio and the Zumo are connected? If the clicks are present when nothing but the rider's headset is connected, try swapping the rider's helmet for the passenger's helmet. Still clicking?

Is the clicking about once per second, and sounds like the same clicks as when you press any of the buttons on the Starcom1 Digital unit; like click... click... click... click? Do the LED's flash at the same time as the clicks? I've seen (heard?) this happen before.

Try this... Unplug the power lead from the Starcom1 Digital. Connect a headset to the rider's headset socket. Press all three buttons, at the same time, and then plug in the power lead while continuing to press the three buttons for eight seconds. This will restore the factory defaults - and *may* relieve the clicking. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you will want to contact your Starcom1 dealer for a replacement unit.

Thanks, I tried but to no luck. I tried connecting a seperately soureced/powered MP3, and got the same result, clicking/popping about twice a second. Talked to the dealer and they have shipped out a new unit, they expect its a defect unit. If the new one is the same then we have a real problem. I don't think I did anything wrong, I have checked and re-checked the wiring and its all correct, I think I just pulled a bad card.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

On a sperate note...Joe and Tammy at Spoiledbiker.com...absolute rock stars and more helpful than two people should be. Truly a complement to thier comany and thier character!!! I will DEFINATELY go there again in the future!

Dan

What you describe sounds kinda like feedback, caused by ground loop interference. Try a GLI on all audio inputs. (ground loop isolator)

All Starcom cables are already isolated - that's why they cost so much.

+1 on Spoiled Biker, they are not only very helpful, but also more friendly and generous with their time and products than I have ever encountered. I wish they ran a BMW motorcycle dealership! I'd drive across the country to buy motorcycles from those two.

I got the replacement unit in yesterday, 5 days from Florida to Germany...impressive!

Hooked it up and all is well, it works great! So final diagnosis...bad unit.

Joe and Tammy (spoiled Biker) you guys are simply the best...thank you.

Dan

Archived