IGNORED

"B" rating on Pilot Road 2s

Ron-M

I am in the process of buying new PR2s for my 07 RT. I got great mileage from my last set, almost 18,000 miles. In my on-line quest for the best deal, I noticed that for the rear tire 180/55-17, Michelin also has the tire in a 180/55-17-B. It is my understanding the "B" rated tire is for heavier loads, such as two-up riding and such. I do enough two-up riding that I am wondering if the "B" rated tire would be a wise to get, cost not an issue. Any opinions or experience with a "B" rated tire vs a non "B" rated tire and comparisons between the two? How is the "B" rated tire going to ride when not loaded down? I am assuming the sidewalls on the "B" tire would be a little stiffer.

If you got 18K out of PR2's, I'd not mess with a thing. That's double what they usually get on a good day.

My first PR2's had the B rating, second set was non-B, and the present third set is again B. I never ride 2-up, but I haven't noticed any difference at all in tire performance or mileage. I chose the B's for my present set only because they happened to be more readily available.

If I rode 2-up occasionally, I think I'd get the B's because both BMW and Michelin say that that's the whole point of the B rating.

The B rating is the recommended fitment for the R1200RT. Mine actually outlasted the front, and I have no performance issues with it at all.

If you got 18K out of PR2's, I'd not mess with a thing. That's double what they usually get on a good day.

I just replaced a pair today. 13,100 miles and could have gone a couple thousand more but I wanted fresh shoes for the trip to Redmond.

My riding buddy just replaced a pair a couple of weeks ago on a 1200 RT and he had 16,000. (He starts and stops very smoothly, while I have a problem with my right wrist.)

Archived