IGNORED

Odyssey PC680

pokorskij

I stopped at a local Battery Giant store today and inquired about purchasing an Odyssey PC680. I was told that they are hard to get, something about the military using them and having priority. The clerk said they only get one at a time and infrequently.

Has anyone else had a problem finding the Odyssey PC680? Or was this just a story?

Thanks.

cali_beemer

Sounds more like someone running a lean inventory. Not uncommon in this economy. Although, i work in a machine shop and we do military parts. Trying to buy some of the thicker armor plate can be tough, its all going straight over to the war effort. Although, I dont see the same likely for Odyssey batteries

Thanks everyone, especially Whip. You confirmed that there isn't really a shortage.

Whip, I was just about to Google the information you provided, but you beat me to it. Thanks.

By the way, the dealer that gave me the story is included in the list.

I will call around and locate one, and go pick it up.

All-

I can confirm, though the PC680s are relatively easy to find, they are being used for military applications, in products such as the UPS systems my company manufactures. The issue really isn't the Odyssey batteries, but rather the Genesis Series Enersys manufactures for military applications being in constantly short supply. When they hit long delivery dates, I advised my engineers to look at the Odyssey Series, which is basically the same thing, and they use them as perfect form / fit replacements. Mine is not the only company doing this, and we've bought out the entire stock of more than a few small internet type battery distributors when the orders start rolling in. The PC680 was under $75 a few years ago. The price hike of recent years has alot to do with the phenomenon I mention above. It also bears repeating once again how good these batteries are relative to other generic brands.

-MKL

Thanks everyone, I found the battery locally, but looked at the Portable Power Systems site, and decided to order online and saved over $30.00. I was going to pay a premium of $15.00 to get it locally, but doubling the savings changed my decision.

Archived