IGNORED

Need Side Case Liner Recommendations

phalcon51

I'm buying an '05 R1200ST in a few weeks and driving it from Chicago to L.A. I'd like to buy some side case liners for it before the trip. There seem to be several available from Kathy's, CeeBailey's and RKA that I've found so far as well as the BMW models. I haven't had the opportunity to see any of them other than on the web so I'd like to get your opinions on any or all of them if you've had first hand experience with them. Interested in build quality, features, capacity, etc.

Thanks for any help.

Gary

Firefight911

I have both RKA and Kathy's. RKA in my K13GT and Kathy's for my F800GS. Both are fantastic. I don't think you could go wrong with either. They are much cheaper than the BMW and, IMO, are easier to pack as they're more malleable when packing/closing the cases.

I have both Kathy's and the BMW units for my bike. I bought the Kathy's first then came across a "too good to pass up" offer on the OEM ones. I use the Kathy's mostly. The BMW are super waterproof and robust, but don't fit the cases nearly as well.

I've bought two RKA tankbags and a StarCom1 from RKA. The tankbags are great, as is the customer service. I'd start there, and if you don't like them send them back.

I have the CEE Baileys. No complaints and the price was more than fair. They have held up well through 3 seasons of fairly heavy use.

I had the BMW ones for my old K1200RS and the fabric was indeed thicker, but at the price one would expect that. The thicker fabric actually made them harder to put in the case.

The Cee Baileys have zippers on both sides which I like, so you can open either side. On the outside one side has a small zippered pouch that I use for batteries and such and the other side has a bigger 1/2 size web pouch that I use to carry extras when I'm moving stuff in and out (gloves, etc)

They have shoulder strap D rings, and the straps, but I never use the straps (I have them tucked away somewhere no doubt).

Good deal for $79.00 in my opinion.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bags/bmw_bags.html

Not to hijack too much but...

Why have liners at all? When travelling, I remove the side cases from the bike and bring them into the motel room.

What am I missing? Do the liners have pockets that make it all worthwhile?

Ever get where your going and want to offload the contents of your side cases and still use the cases the next day, or just lighten the bike for a day ride, but still use the cases? You may want to carry a few items, but don't want to constantly empty and repack contents of sidecases.

Or how about your filthy sidecases after a run in the muck, rain or snow. Dripping wet, ya gotta wipe 'em down, and who wants to do that after a long day..and if ya forgot, I don't know about you, I wouldn't want that filth on my carpet or room.

Once you've enjoyed case liners, ya won't look back.

MB>

Oh, and BTW, I use Bestem.

Ever get where your going and want to offload the contents of your side cases and still use the cases the next day, or just lighten the bike for a day ride, but still use the cases? You may want to carry a few items, but don't want to constantly empty and repack contents of sidecases.

Or how about your filthy sidecases after a run in the muck, rain or snow. Dripping wet, ya gotta wipe 'em down, and who wants to do that after a long day..and if ya forgot, I don't know about you, I wouldn't want that filth on my carpet or room.

MB>

+1 What MB said! We have Kathy's, side-cases and top box liners. They work fine for us.

And reading Gary's note "between the lines", perhaps he's planning on packing the liners and carrying them with him, then just dropping them in the side-cases for the ride back after he picks up the bike.

Kathy's here too. And +1 for using liners so you can keep the case on the bike for use like beer runs, haul rain gear, etc.

I have found a decent deal on some nice 500 denier pvc backed cordura and was giving some thought to making my own bags to fit in the Jesses. Would any of you be willing to shoot some measurements and maybe a few detailed photos of your bags so I can see how they are built? I'd like to give this a run and see how it comes out.

Thanks!

Bag liners are pricey. Yeah, it is nice to be able to empty your cases and carry something else inside. Sure, case liners are made to fit inside specific cases.

But... most grocery stores now sell reusable fabric grocery bags. They usually have over the shoulder length straps. Or, you can find a plain canvas tote at pretty much any luggage store or outfitter that will fit nicely.

P

Bag liners are pricey.

Think I paid 35 bucks a side back in 04 ....fleabay.. Prob not much more than that now.

Pricey? ...cheap in my opinion.

TEH/HO

MB>

I bought my Cee Bailey's at probably half of list off a trading post. They are great. They also double as a nice airplane carry on bag as well.

Kathy's 4 me.Found them on BMWMOA 4 Sale section.Two side case bag liners with interior zippered section to secure small items.

$61.00 included shipping,cannot beat that price even if I do not use them often.

Nothing wrong with recycling!

MB>

+1 for all those reasons.

Plus you can pack other stuff into the cases as well on top of the liners. I know on the road I wouldn't want ot open a side case and have all my underwear fall out when I go to stuff a baseball cap or rain gear into the sidecase.

Not ot mention that the side cases, when empty, weigh something like 15 lbs each and you can;t toss them over yoru shoulder. The liners empty are probably about 1lb.

I can carry my side , my wife side, my wifes' top case bag, her purse and my wife's helmet, and my helmet all at the same time. Try that with side cases. :grin:

markgoodrich
Bestems are best. I have used my RT bags on the RT, the LT and a Goldwing for 5 years without a hitch..

Yes, Bestem bags work great, and are much cheaper than all the alternatives. I think I got mine off ebay, new. Having said that, I have a Kathy's topcase bag, and like it better than the Bestem side case bags. I use it as a suitcase when traveling in the car or flying. Fit and finish are better, but the Bestem bags have a gazillion miles on them, and are still just great...so....

For years I've been using plain jane backpacks/book bags or whatever they're called. Like what a student would carry to and from school. I cut off the shoulder straps and they work great. There's a smaller front compartment which fits right in the recessed area of the BMW sidebags. They aren't a perfect fit like a purpose built bag would be but they fit very well, are far less expensive and last for years.

I have the CEE Baileys. No complaints and the price was more than fair. They have held up well through 3 seasons of fairly heavy use.

I had the BMW ones for my old K1200RS and the fabric was indeed thicker, but at the price one would expect that. The thicker fabric actually made them harder to put in the case.

The Cee Baileys have zippers on both sides which I like, so you can open either side. On the outside one side has a small zippered pouch that I use for batteries and such and the other side has a bigger 1/2 size web pouch that I use to carry extras when I'm moving stuff in and out (gloves, etc)

They have shoulder strap D rings, and the straps, but I never use the straps (I have them tucked away somewhere no doubt).

Good deal for $79.00 in my opinion.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bags/bmw_bags.html

Such a very amazing link!

I think you see that the liners are a good choice.

They allow you flexible use of your saddle bags and they assure you that what you want to pack will fit in the saddlebag.

Brand dpends on flavor of the month.

I have some old BMW ones that look and work like new.

They fit well, have weather resistant finish, nice shoulder straps and specific zipped side pockets.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I also have a set of Kathy's that I got when I added the larger touring lids to my saddlebags.

Well made, not as defined shape/sides as the BMW, no shoulder straps included (when I got mine) but I use these on all of our trips.

When packing for two, it helps to define space.

The ease of transitioning to hotel rooms is a big plus.

When camping ez access.

I think that in this case, having specific liners designed for your saddlebag is the best use of space.

If yoou don't know someone to actually see a set, look on-line and order what you like.

You'll be glad you did.

Archived