IGNORED

Droid X...hmmm...replace gps, etc?

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

Just read review of this smartphone, which has an accessory cradle for cars. Appears there's a free gps app for navigation, as well as the thing plays internet radio (think free XM), music, etc etc.

Could this, or perhaps a next-gen thing, be the all-in-one replacement for the various gizmos we put on our bikes? Elimination of a separate GPS unit would be a large savings.

Naturally, it's not waterproof, a problem for now.

Please, this isn't a "my iphone is better" thread....

"Could this, or perhaps a next-gen thing, be the all-in-one replacement for the various gizmos we put on our bikes? "

Absolutely NOT! At that point I would have way too much disposable income for my own good. :grin:

Well, maybe for the cars but unless they fix the screen it still won't work. Or at least I can't manipulate my Droid with my motorcycles gloves on.

I have the previous version of the Droid, it has a car cradle, free navigation, and internet radio too. The navigation is surprisingly good.

The big issue is that neither Navigation nor Internet Radio work with out cell service (or wifi) so for me that's most of the time. If you are always in covered areas, or don't care about the time you spend without coverage, it might have promise. It's not waterproof and you'll have glove issues as previously stated.

Some day...

It's technically possible to store the required navigation date on the phone so you wouldn't need coverage for that, and you can revert to MP3s stored on the phone instead of Internet Radio in no coverage areas.

I'm not sure that providing a good user experience while completely disconnect is consistent with the manufacturers highest volume target markets though.

I have yet to see a cell-phone that can match the Zumo 550 in brightness out in the sunlight. All the phones seem to get washed out in bright sun that I've seen. The iPhone was horrible as was the Garmin Nuvi GPS phone. My phone's camera is pretty useless in the sun when I try and look at the screen.

Even the new Garmin Oregon is pretty hard to see in bright sun and it has a trans-reflective screen. At least its touch screen works well even with gloves on or through a clear vinyl tank bag cover. No talkie though like a Zumo.

Jazzy

I don't know about the Droid X, but I have the current Droid and a couple things I found were:

1. There are apps out there that let you download map data so you can use GPS without a 3G or even phone signal.

2. I have yet to find a way to get a custom route into the Google Maps app that will actually give me the directions I want. I can get the custom map on there, but then it just takes me on the fastest route.

3. I don't *think* it's possible at the moment to route the navigation audio to a bluetooth headset (maybe not even the headphones). It seems to want to use the speakerphone and navigation has it's own volume.

When I got mine, I thought, hey, I'll just build my own custom route on the Google Maps, download it to my phone, put on my bluetooth headset and toss it in my pocket. Yah...no. If anyone's gotten something like this to work, I'd love to hear how you did it.

I've been doing the all in one device for 3 years now. Started with my Voyager phone. Using a helmet Bluetooth setup I was able to make calls, get turn by turn directions piped into my helmet and also listen to MP3s. Now that I've moved up to the Droid its even better with the vastly improved navigation, even clearer turn by turn voice directiand and the ability to do your web searches and once you find what you want, just click and immediately start getting your turn by turn directions.

Plus it does it all from my pocket, so no need to mount it to the bike... nice when you ride multiple bikes too.

ElevenFifty

Is there an 'app for that' that allows droid or iPhone to follow complex routes with 50 waypoints or vias determined by YOU?

I think it comes down to what you expect the GPS to do ... point A to point B as a 'go-to' is one thing, but ATL to LA via Lolo Pass, Crater Lake, Redwoods, Yosimite, PCH ... while exploring the back roads, is quite another.

A Droid that manages these subtleties of complex routing would be da bomb!

Scott - I'm curious to know if you are using the Google Maps navigation or some other app. No problems getting navigation audio to your bluetooth headset?

No problems, works REALLY well. Previously with my Voyager I was missing the first half-second of each new turn by turn. With the Droid its flawless so far.

My current helmet Bluetooth is a Chatterbox XBi2. And I'm just using the Google Maps app which is preloaded on Droids.

Is there an 'app for that' that allows droid or iPhone to follow complex routes with 50 waypoints or vias determined by YOU?

I think it comes down to what you expect the GPS to do ... point A to point B as a 'go-to' is one thing, but ATL to LA via Lolo Pass, Crater Lake, Redwoods, Yosimite, PCH ... while exploring the back roads, is quite another.

A Droid that manages these subtleties of complex routing would be da bomb!

Yeah that would be cool, but no I don't know how to put a user planned route into a Droid.

A signal from a cell tower isn't as reliable as that from a GPS satellite. If they could combine the 2 transcievers in the same unit, then you might have a winner. It might actually be even more accurate since you'd have both fixed objects on the ground as reference points as well as the sattelites for better correction for altitude.

My only complaint I've seen from our Verizon based navigation, is that it's not very useful as a reference map like a GPS. It's designed for locating specific destinations. If you just want to see where you are on a map, it can be a little complicated... actually we couldn't do it. Sometimes I just want to see where I am and how fast I'm going and my altitude... not have the thing provide me with a specific route.

A signal from a cell tower isn't as reliable as that from a GPS satellite. If they could combine the 2 transcievers in the same unit, then you might have a winner. It might actually be even more accurate since you'd have both fixed objects on.

Most late model cell phones have a dedicated GPS, the current Droid does, as well as the Droid X. Sitting here in my office, I get 8 satellites in about 20 seconds of startup, with an estimated position error of <20 feet.

One might argue that the cell solution is better than standalone, as startup is dramatically faster, especially in weaker GPS signal areas that have Cell coverage.

The accuracy is fantastic, I can go into google maps, turn on the satellite view, say go to my location, and it's right where my office is.

markgoodrich

Kevin, so you're saying you don't need cell or wi-fi to get the gps directions? I'm still interested in the concept, but it doesn't appear one can create complex routes and load them into the gizmos.

This weekend my son in law and I were able to find our way through a maze of streets to a house, in an unfamiliar city, using his iPhone's app. I was quite impressed, but he said it just takes you the most direct route to an address.

Kevin, so you're saying you don't need cell or wi-fi to get the gps directions?

No, although reading my post I could see how you might draw that conclusion. I'll attempt to clarify.

There's three main parts to providing traditional GPS unit (think Garmin) functionality. You need location information, map data, and an application that can correlate the two in a way that suits you.

Both the Droid and a Garmin unit have GPS receivers that provide location data. My earlier post was meant to suggest that the location information provided by the Droid, in places with satellite reception, is based on the same GPS satellite info that the Garmin units use, and has similar accuracy. The Droid has the ability to consider other information, like cell tower locations as well, but if it's got a GPS signal, that's the most accurate data it has. If the GPS signal is not present, your Garmin device is useless, while the Droid can get you in the general area if there is cell coverage.

The map data in the droid typically comes form the network, while on the Garmin it comes from local storage. The great advantage to the Garmin is that the data is always available. The downside is that it gets old, needs to be updated, and has limited detail by comparison. The upside to the Droid is the data comes from via the cell network, is typically always more up to date, and has more things like the ability to view satellite data, terrain information, etc. The downside is you are out of luck if you don't have cellular coverage. Others have pointed out there are third party applications that let you store the map data locally on the Droid, I haven't used any.

The navigation Application on the Garmin unit was designed, and has been "improved" for many years to provide the best possible user experience on a dedicated navigation device. And on models like the Zumo's, it has been further optimized for things like use on a motorcycle.

The navigation Application that comes on the Droid is designed to leverage the cellular connection and get a user to a specific destination. It sure seems to be that they expect you to browse the map, or search the net, to figure out where you want to go, and then go straight there.

I use them both. The Zumo is my always ready on the bike solution to my navigation and MP3 needs. It's user interface, both navigation, and music, are fine for my needs while on the bike. While stopped, and with cell phone coverage, the Droid is a great tool. Want to know where to eat, with reviews, and menus, no problem. Want to check your email quickly, no problem. Want to get traffic and weather, no problem. (Yes, with an XM subscription you can get them on the Zumo 550/XM30 and Zumo 665 too).

Bottom line for me, the droid is useless under motion. The display and interface is not motorcycle friendly. I like to be able to choose a new destination, skip a song, zoom a map in our out, etc. Without stopping.

Archived