IGNORED

Anyone put a backrest on an R1200RT?

Fast Eddy

I'd like to put a backrest on my new bike.(10 R1200RT) I had one on my last bike (02 R1150RT)I'm looking at the RCU backrest sold by Sargent. It seems to take up a lot of space on the rack. I like to put a waterproof expandable bag on the rack when I travel and this backrest doesn't seem to leave a lot of space.The plus side is they'll finish it to match their seat which I just ordered. Any sugestions on backrests would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe Frickin' Friday

Bought a Corbin front saddle for my 1200RT last summer. The socket for the removable backrest is at the front edge of the rear saddle. I didn't get the rear saddle (and backrest until this spring. I had the Corbin front/rear/backrest set on my 1100RT for years, and it was a good fit, but unfortunately the backrest is too far back on the 1200RT. You can adjust the angle of the backrest, tilting it far forward, but of course then it's only the top edge of the backrest that makes contact with your back. Not cool.

I'm considering sawing the backrest's stem in two and welding in a short horizontal section to move it forward 1-2 inches.

I have a bakup backrest for my passenger. I use it in the same manner you described. It is easy on, easy off. Takes about two minutes. With my wife as a passenger I place a good sized waterproof bag on the rack and secure it down with bungee cords. Works great. I have traveled thousands of miles like this. The only down side is that Bakup is proud of their product (expensive). But if you are patient, they do appear in the classified section of this website and on ebay much cheaper.

Archived