IGNORED

Installing a J&M Integratr on an R1200RT

Deek

My RT does not have the radio option, but does have a NAV III installed. I'm planning on wiring the J&M Integratr into the bike's electical system, and more or less mounting it permanently.

I am trying to find a good place to install it. I do not plan on using the belt clip to wear it. Right now I think my best bet it to use a RAM RCB-CHB-HDW handlebar bolt mount with a short arm to position the Integratr forward and to the left of my NAV III which uses the inside two bolts seen in the link above. This location will partially block my speedometer, which I don't use anyway as I use the GPS instead.

I plan on using a "universal" cellphone/MP3 cradle with industrial Vel-Cro to secure the Integratr in the cradle. I already have one of those. I don't recall the RAM model number. I'd like to find or make a larger cradle to supply more support, but haven't found anything yet.

Any thoughts or recommendation from someone else who has mounted an Integratr or something about that size (maybe 5x5x2 inches)?

Oh, I might need a longer upper cable for my J&M helmet headset. Anyone know where I can get a DIN extension around 6-12 inches?

If I didn't need to the Integratr's volume control for my MP3 player I'd stick everything in the fairing right side glove box, as that's the only reason I need to have the Integratr within reach anyway! :Cool:

Frustrated_Diver

Deek,

Here’s my worthless 2 cents. The way i mount my Integratr 4 depends on two conditions but both ways are temporary. If i don’t have the tank bag on, i use a length of hook and loop tape (the version where one side is hook and the other side is loop). The set up is real simple, i just run the strip through the belt loop on the Integratr’s fake leather pouch, then run the strip through the holes just south of the filler cap in the R1200RT’s rail, finally pulling the tape’s ends tight over the top of the Integratr. Power is provided by the PowerLet socket in the left faring via the Integratr’s own 12v adapter with coiled cord. Real quick and real simple.

When i’m using the tank bag (i have the big BMW one), i just stuff the Integratr in the bag and close the zippers as far as i can. Even easier.

One thing to keep in mind with any installation is ready access to the volume control. The old collection of my CD’s, ripped to MP3 format and transferred to the Zumo, have wildly varying audio levels, require frequent tweaking of the volume as the Zumo shuffles between numbers. With the Integratr right in front of me, i find quick adjustment a snap without taking my eyes off the road. Also, you might want to consider the issue of rain. Without going into why, i had the Integratr apart and i don’t believe it is very waterproof. Just one more reason to consider a temporary mounting system.

Thanks for the suggestions to keep the mounting of the Integratr temporary.

I always use a tank bag, and it's unfortunately usually full, so that option is out also. I believe I can keep the "temporary-ness" option, though, but using my planned set up. I just have to unplug the cables then pull the integratr away from its vel-cro strip in the cradle and put it away somewhere to keep it ought of sight, or to keep it dry. While on the bike I believe I can use large zip locks to keep it dry.

Yeah, the volume control is about the only reason I have to keep it out. I have the same issues you do with your ripped MP3 tunes. That's the planned use for the Integratr; GPS audio and MP3. I don't need the rest and will probably never use those connections for phone, FRS, radar detector, etc.

James Goodchild
One thing to keep in mind with any installation is ready access to the volume control. The old collection of my CDs, ripped to MP3 format and transferred to the Zumo, have wildly varying audio levels, require frequent tweaking of the volume as the Zumo shuffles between numbers.

You can use a product like MP3Gain mp3gain.sourceforge.net to set a consisent volume level on all the tunes on your memory card in your Garmin.

"....MP3Gain mp3gain.sourceforge.net to set a consisent volume..."

Thanks, James, I have been meaning to do that but keep forgetting.....I will visit that link today.

Archived