IGNORED

Lets Talk Rain Gear

dirtrider

Hi all you rain riders lets hear what works for you.

I presently have a good array of motorcycle rain gear but it all packs fairly large. The smallest I have in my arsenal is the Frogg Toggs but that still packs too large to easily fit in my small off road soft bags.

Anybody have or recommend any rain gear that packs real small, like maybe Kleenex box size or smaller that still works and keeps you dry?

My riding gear is stich... which is pretty waterproof all on it's own. No need to have extra rain gear except glove covers.

I also travel with 2 sets of Frogg Toggs (for me & my wife). I use vacuum storage bags which reduce the volume tremendously for until I need them.

Here's one link.

I've had the BMW Comfort Shell jacket and pants through a few pretty heavy rains and was impressed at how well they worked. I tried the RevIt inner rain layer and hated the weight (and dry time) of he outer, non-water proof layers and the over-jacket/pants get much hotter, in my experience.

Motoport Goretex liners. Not exactly Kleenex size but they work and the suit is cooler in heat than an always-lined suit like a 'stitch. Downside is you have to put them in when it gets wet. I also have no integrated rain hood, a nice feature I see on some new jackets. Yep, wet head.

If you can find them,BMW Klimacomfort Goretex raingear is very good.

This was the generation prior to the current Comfortshell.

Packs pretty small for a two piece shell.

JR356

I use Stich now but before, I used the BMW one piece rain suit which worked really great and packed small. Only problem is you had to stop to put it on and take it off. I don't like to stop much so opted for the stich.

Must be an epidemic....Frogg Toggs is out of most Elite sizes and colors and on back order (must be their most popular rain gear)....Kathy and I are both looking for wet weather gear for summer mountain rides and the Un..You never know :P.....But we've pretty much settled on Frogg's based on recommendations.........

Dissenting opinion.

Virtually all rain gear suffers from one of 3 defects

1) Doesn't breathe- all cheap suits fit this category. Urethane llned, vinyl, etc. Wearing this junk is worse than riding without it.

2) Are not external (liners). Means your outer layer gets wet and dirty, stuff doesn't dry as fast. Basically a PIA substitute. And if you've got an integral, non-removable liner all it does is somewhat damage breathability and comfort of what its in.

3) Too bulky for bike use - Frogg Togs, Roadgear and others that are fine off the bike fit this category IMO.

For me, the best compromise for the above is a simple GoreTex (ONLY, other stuff either doesn't breathe as well or isn't made as well) jacket and pants. At the moment, my jacket is a 20 yr old one from LL Bean and the pants are relatively new, from Cabelas, because they sell different lengths so are long enough for the bike. They pack to about the size of a small bike cover.

Finding yellow for hi viz, in GoreTex is currently problematic. North Face has one but its not outstandingly bright. Not aware of others, if there are any.

IMO, there is room in the market for someone to do better rain gear for bikes.

I know about the BMW 1 piece suit but don't like 1 piece much. Too bad they don't do its color in 2 piece, yet.

Getting a pair of waterproof, highly breathable hot weather boots is even more of a problem that bootmakers seem, so far, to not be doing a very good job of addressing.

Just a couple of points to address racer7 as I agree with most.

Lack of HiViz in rain gear that is worn outside is a problem.

The Kevlar riding gear from Motoport/Cyclport while having interior rain protection, does not absorb water and dries in minutes. So they are in a separate category in my opinion. While I prefer outer rain gear, the interior stuff they sell works very well also, and does not cause a problem with the outer gear getting and staying wet.

Also, I don't believe anything matches Gore Tex performance, if it only came in HiViz.

Hi Racer

I definitely have to agree with your list of 3 defects above. Therefore my post here asking for opinions.

I have good road type rain gear and have quite an array of waterproof breathable riding costumes.

My big problem at the moment is finding a “lightweight” “very small packable” fairly water resistant rain gear that goes on and off easily and most importantly packs very small.

There is just no way to ride hard off road in hot weather in something like Stitch or heavy on road type rain gear.

I guess using your suggestion above I will make a little road trip up to Michigan to Cabela’s to see what they have in the way of lightweight Gortex.

I seldom use any rain gear off road as a little water feels good at times but I really need to carry something for the all day soaking rains and to wear around the remote camp site.

So far I have tried to use the Frogg Toggs but that particular rain gear seems to leak at the seat area, the zippers are really junk and it just doesn’t pack small enough.

Not all the gear from MotoPort is Kevlar and/or multi-function.; they make a separate, specific rain jacket called the Aero-Tex that serves well as an extra top layer, is high viz, breathable and without any polyester in the material.

Direct quote from MotoPort: "Our Aero-Tex Rain Jacket is guaranteed to be 100% Waterproof, Windproof and Breathable for the life of the garment".

MotoPort Aero-Tex Rain Jacket

I live in Texas, where it's hot much of the riding season. The Aero-Tex jacket fits easily over my mesh jacket either for rain protection or cooler conditions. I've also donned it over a heavier, three-quarter jacket in colder, wet weather. Stayed warm & dry.

As with most MotoPort products, it's a little pricey. Does the job nicely though so well worth it to me.

I tried Frogg Toggs for one season. While they work fine for me in a mild rain, in an all day rain, they leaked and did not keep my dry... Just my experience.

Which was why I decided to go to rainproof riding gear.

The Aerotex looks like it might be OK but I'd like it a lot better if it were all hi viz, not part black. What sometimes shuts down my highway riding on the slab in the wet is extremely reduced visibility- I want all the lights and color I can get and would mount a strobe if it were legal - I often set flashers in our heavier rains.

Re their GoreTex comparison, there are several generations of GoreTex and their comment is wrong when comparing to the early generation I use. It has no mesh lining or any lining of any type except where there are pockets. The membrane is the liner.

Second, the outer shell is apparently uncoated. I spray it with a GoreTex compatible water-resistant spray after washings to help repel dirt.

The Cabelas stuff is in their on line catalog.

What I need next are some protective, waterproof gloves that aren't sweatboxes.

I own the long 3 finger mitts (uninsulated) and they're too hot over my lightest summer gloves because they don't breathe at all, plus they tend to get caught on the levers in odd ways. A fully breathable hot weather rain glove is still missing from the market. Doesn't matter much for short rides but for those all day wet ones it would sure be a useful addition- waterlogged skin is all too easily damaged if you go down.

hated frogg toggs. Found them ill-fitting and leaked through the seams, which later ripped.

Also, they performed as sails very well.

Went to Fieldsheer Photos--think that's the name--and they have worked very well, though after three seasons of pretty good use, they may be ending their life. Packs loosely about 6x12, but crushable

JOhn

This is almost as good as a tire or oil thread..... :grin:.A lot of different slants to this issue..Not a commuter, but I needed rain gear for that emergency storm that we're bound to get caught in and have been following this thread to help decide what to buy....My mind was just made up when Norm (Motogeezer) gave me a set of unused Frogg Toggs.... :thumbsup:.Tried them on with all the gear on and fit fine....Bound to keep enough water out for my purposes.....Nice to have good, old friends..... :thumbsup:

The mesh jackets my wife and I wear have a waterproof liner. It's not perfect, but more convenient, and works well enough. It's kept us 95% dry even in some major downpours. Including a thunderstorm that had freeway traffic moving at 30mph. The RT fairing itself keeps most of the rain off of you over 40mph anyway.

I have a cheap pair of first gear rain pants I toss on with it. My boots are always waterproof. We have a second set of Alpinestars gloves that work great in both rain and colder weather.

Actually all of our rain gear also doubles are an extra layer for cooler weather too. 1 less thing to carry.

A fully breathable hot weather rain glove is still missing from the market. Doesn't matter much for short rides but for those all day wet ones it would sure be a useful addition- waterlogged skin is all too easily damaged if you go down.

+1. You almost need a a mesh glove, with a very thin membrane under the mesh that lets in air but not water.

I think I might have found what I have been looking for today. I had lunch with an old friend today and he is an avid golfer. In talking with him he said he carries a small packable rain suit in his golf bag called a “Sun Mountain Provisional Rainsuit”.

He showed it to me and it does pack fairly small, fit me like a glove, has good solid zippers on it, has zip up pant legs so will go on over my riding boots, has a fairly good raised collar, is bright yellow. It even breathes somewhat decent.

It isn’t Gortex but some kind of treated microfiber but comes with a 100% waterproof guarantee for a year. One other thing I liked about it is it made for golfers so is not restrictive at all and allows wonderful arm movement while wearing it.

I think I am going to give one a try just to see how waterproof it is and how it holds up.

Archived