IGNORED

Bluetooth and FRS/GMRS radios?

Caddis

We use Scala Rider Q2 sets for bike to bike communication, and to connect to a cell phone. When we ride with other people, it would be nice if there was a way to talk over an FRS/GMRS radio, while continuing to use our Q2 headsets.

I have seen posts on the 'net about this, but I haven't seen anyone say that they have found a solution that works. I am thinking about trying something like this. Has anyone been successful in connecting a Scala Rider bluetooth headset to an FRS/GMRS radio? Is there some other option that I am not thinking about?

Sounds like you'd need FRS/GMRS radio with a bluetooth interface that could transmit so pair with your Q2's just like a cell phone. I wonder if you could use a standard bluetooth stereo headset adapter thing.

Sounds like you'd need FRS/GMRS radio with a bluetooth interface that could transmit so pair with your Q2's just like a cell phone.

Yup, that is exactly it.

I wonder if you could use a standard bluetooth stereo headset adapter thing.

I'm not sure what this is. Can you point me to one?

I use one of these with my Uniden FRS

http://www.jabra.com/sites/jabra/na-us/headsets/pages/jabraa210.aspx

Basically it allows a cell phone that does not have bluetooth to work with a bluetooth headset. Which is essentially what you want with the FRS.

It doesn't work well with VOX, but works just fine with PTT. I'm not sure how long the battery lasts. I've used it on and off on an all day ride without an issue.

Should work with your helmet. I've used it with a Nolan N-103 and it worked great. I've also used it with an older Camos setup

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=jabra+a210&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3755737007269577129&ei=x5QqTLfaENTpnQfDgqnWDg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDYQ8wIwAg#

Obviously the plug configuration depends on your FRS. The uniden uses the 2.5mm 3 conductor connector which is the same one used on a cell phone. (mic,speaker,ground), which matches the Jabra A210.

Great info, thanks. This is probably what Motoguy was talking about. I see that Cardo also sells something similar. I will look into that one, too, since that should be able to pair with my headset without issues.

When you say that VOX doesn't work very well, what were the issues? And do you think that was a limitation of the bluetooth adapter, or the radio? I would really like to avoid PTT if I can.

In my case there was quite a bit of mic noise which either.

A. Kicked off the vox all the time

B. turning the vox sensitivity up, I had to shout to kick it in and then the person on the other end could not hear me anyway since I was shouting.

YMMV.. may depend on the Radio.

Archived