IGNORED

Mapsource on a netbook?

mikeR1100R

I tried to download my Mapsource onto my Toshiba netbook from an 8 Gb external memory stick. The netbook operating system is Windows XP and has a 130 Gb hard disk and 1 GB of RAM. I was unsuccessful.

I contacted Garmin and was told that netbooks are not supported due to lack of resources. Not sure what that means. I will contact Garmin again and ask why a netbook that is superior in every way to my elderly laptop on which I originally had installed Mapsource is not supported.

Is there anyone out there who can shed any light on this? My computer knowledge is limited. My Garmin product is registered and I do have an official unlock code for Mapsource.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I had no problem putting Mapsource on my Asus netbook. That was one of the reasons I bought it so I could email and do route planning on the road. I'm running the ultra basic Windows 7 Starter and all is well.

I'm the furthest thing from a computer guru, but I've been running Mapsource on my Acer netbook for the better part of two years. It runs Windows XP, has 1GB RAM and a 120GB hard drive. That said, I did not load it off a stick. I used a method that someone on ADVRider explained to me. It works if you have a home wireless network. On my desktop, I turned my Mapsource discs into ISO files (using freeware) and saved them on my desktop's hard drive. I then used my netbook to find those ISO files on a shared network drive and "mounted" the Mapsource ISO files (again using suggested freeware, in this case Daemon Tools which I had downloaded to my netbook). This loaded Mapsource and my maps onto my netbook and it works like a champ (unlock code for maps required, of course). Used it this afternoon in fact to get ready for the UnRally. I'm sure someone could better explain what I did. BTW, this method also worked to load MS Office onto my netbook.

I loaded mine from an old CN 4.01 CD/DVD then went to the Garmin site and updated it to the latest version. Then I loaded my latest version of CN (I think it CN9NT)and input the unlock codes and all is well.

My much more computer-savvy wife figured it out. She copied the Mapsource disk onto my little memory stick, downloaded it onto the netbook and unlocked it with my code. Success!

This is one of the main reasons I bought the netbook. I wanted to have a small computer with a powerful battery to plan routes while on trips and have the ability to access the internet using a Blackberry.

Thanks to all who responded.

Mapsource is not locked. Only the CN maps are locked. They are completely different animals. One is an applications program that is free from Garmin (Mapsource) and the other is the map sets that you can use with Mapsource which are locked.

malcolmblalock

I loaded mine on an Acer 1 using a USB drive with no problem. Have Nuvi lifetime maps and update it regularly with no problem.

Only complaint is the small screen size makes long trips difficult to visualize in detail. Otherwise great.

The real value add would be to have Garmin offer Mapsource as an asp so I could access it via my iPad over the web and connect it to my Zumo550. Hey Garmin, will we ever see this capability?

Loaded mine on a Samsung NC10 using an external DVD drive. No problems.. I too wish the screen was a bit bigger, but it's darn easy to pack on the bike. Plus killer battery life...

My computer savy friend loaded it into my 10" Asus netbook.

I use it on the road for loading routes, I've had no problems.

motoguy128

I had some trouble unlocking it on my Sony Netbook but I don't remember what it was. It might have been a Windows 7 issue. I just use our other laptop instead.

Well I've been fighting with my (new to me) Acer 10.1 netbook all afternoon and as usual Garmin just doesn't make it easy. To top it off they aren't answering their phones today, seems they knew I was going to call...

I bought the Acer because I was tired of the Mac version(RoadTrip) of MapSource and wanted to have a little portable to carry along for Garmin planning, hotel and ferry information, Skype the Wife, etc.

Downloaded the newest version of MapSource (6.11.5) and then tried to install it....no luck. Claims it cannot install unless I have a 'map product' already installed. How the heck do you do that? Both my Nuvi and Zumo came 'pre-installed' and I did 'free' updates from the Garmin website.

Tried connecting the Zumo to the netbook and then install the MapSource program hoping it would 'see' the maps on the Zumo ( I know, I know but frustration makes me crazy sometimes...), but of course no luck.

So how the hell do you simply 'install' Mapsource?????? Grrrr.

See above, the part where Garmin makes me crazy!

Jim, the Garmin site shows the latest version of MapSource as 6.16.2 (21 June 2010). That said, it probably won't make any difference as it has this notice: "WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product." You've probably presumed correctly that you somehow have to have a map product already loaded on your PC, or have that product on a DVD/CD (as I did when I loaded Mapsource -- and my maps -- on my Acer).

Yes, I used my DVD with CN4.1. This map set also included a copy of Mapsource. Once loaded, I then updated it from the Garmin site with the latest version of Mapsource then loaded my CN NT8 mapset along with the unlock codes and all is well with my Zumo.

Jim, the Garmin site shows the latest version of MapSource as 6.16.2 (21 June 2010). That said, it probably won't make any difference as it has this notice: "WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product." You've probably presumed correctly that you somehow have to have a map product already loaded on your PC, or have that product on a DVD/CD (as I did when I loaded Mapsource -- and my maps -- on my Acer).

As you say Mark, I need a 'map product' on the Acer first...but how to do that without the discs?

I'm selling the Acer back to the guy I bought it from and sticking with the MBP I guess...at least RoadTrip works, sort of...

So does my Zumo 665, sometimes :-).

Jim

Allen Rowand

1) Create a folder named Garmin on local C: drive.

2) Inside the C:\Garmin folder, create or rename a file as MapSource.exe.

3) Install the MapSouce by running downloaded MapSource installation executable

BaseCamp is much faster than RoadTrip, and is better with tracks as well.

If Garmin could come up with a dual platform map installer and a way to install maps on multiple computers without having to overwrite the GPS's map, I'd upgrade my opinion of their software from "Abysmal" to "Merely Awful".

1) Create a folder named Garmin on local C: drive.

2) Inside the C:\Garmin folder, create or rename a file as MapSource.exe.

3) Install the MapSouce by running downloaded MapSource installation executable

BaseCamp is much faster than RoadTrip, and is better with tracks as well.

If Garmin could come up with a dual platform map installer and a way to install maps on multiple computers without having to overwrite the GPS's map, I'd upgrade my opinion of their software from "Abysmal" to "Merely Awful".

Well did EXACTLY as you suggested Allen, and no luck. I thought it was going to run but when I clicked on 'next' on the 'Welcome to MapSource' page a dialogue box came up saying 'Previous MapSource not found!....Setup will terminate.'

I'll try dragging the .exe file into the folder I made up called MapSource...and opening it there?

Jim

Allen Rowand

I know I've done this in the past- you made need to use an older version of MapSource, or try the directions here .

You buy the GPS and the maps, but they still make it difficult to use the "free" software :mad:

If your trying to install MapSource without having the original CD - try downloading the Training Center software from the Garmin website and install it first, then install MapSource. You can delete the Trainer software when you're done.

I just did this on a new laptop - should also work on a netbook.

Gregg

Archived