IGNORED

Heated Gear

dsabmw

I am looking for heated jacket & pant liners. Any recommendations and details on connecting to a 08 r1200rt. Thanks in advance for any help.

Firefight911

There is no, IMO, substitute for the microwire stuff from Gerbing.

Either hook direct to battery with the included pigtail OR through a separate fuse block. You're requested set up WILL shut down the CANBus controlled sockets on your RT so you will need to do as I stated or direct wire one of the sockets.

EffBee of this board is an employee of Gerbing and may possibly be able to add specific detail to this equipment.

You won't regret it!!!! Gerbing is the bomb when it comes to heated clothing.

Sailorlite

To use both the jacket and pants liners, you will need to connect directly (fused) to the battery - not through the standard accessory outlets.

But, I have found that given the RT's fairing, and the heated grips and seat, I don't begin to need the heated pants or gloves or socks. The jacket liner alone is sufficient as long as the outer jacket is wind and rain proof. And you might get away with using the accessory outlet if it's for the jacket liner only.

Also, FWIW, I have 2 Gerbings, 1 Aerostich, and 1 Warm & Safe heated jacket liners (all non-microwire) and my favorite is the W&S. But they're all excellent and their microwire versions might be better yet.

moshe_levy

I authored a pretty extensive heated gear comparison for MCN which was published this past April - see http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnheatedgear.pdf The unedited raw text including lab data can be seen here http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnheatedgearraw.pdf

Ditto on what everyone else said about direct connection. Ditto further to the previous poster who said heated pant liners are likely overkill on an RT. I used to use them on my unfaired Harley but on an RT, even cruising all day below freezing, they're just not necessary.

Pay special attention to the part of the article about the heat controllers, an often overlooked but very important part of the equation. With regards Gerbings here falls to the bottom of the pack. I also wrote a yet unpublished article on the Warm N Safe remote heat controller, which is EXCELLENT. That will likely be published later this year as the winter approaches.

-MKL

The reason for the Heated Gear question is a 5000 mile ride in mid September in Canada. What rain gear is the best, which may be more important than the heated gear? Thanks again for all the help.

Sailorlite

Here's a setup that would work well for your trip: modern "plastic" base layer (long sleeved T-shirt and pants), under a heated jacket liner, under a wool or fleece sweater, all under the BMW ComfortShell suit. That would be all you need to keep warm and dry on an RT. And if it happens to get hot, de-layer some and you'd be fine up into the 90's.

moshe_levy

+1 - you don't need rain gear if you have weatherproof three season gear. Less to carry and no need to change by the side of the road.

-MKL

Archived