IGNORED

Review of my new Russell seat for my RT

Hydrilla

I got it Thursday, in time for a 600 plus mile trip this weekend. Now that I'm back home, I have to say I couldn't be more happy. The first leg of the trip was a huge improvement, and on the way home it was even better- absolutely NO discomfort the entire way. With the stock seat, I was in agony after an hour. There's not much else to say... I know these seats are reviewed all the time, I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

photo.jpg

1.jpg

My wife only got to go for a 40 mile ride but she loved it. My 13 year old daughter rode back with me the whole way(family visit, they went a day earlier and I joined them on the bike after work Friday), and I could tell it was a big improvement from her lack of squirming around like she used to do.

I did get a little shorter, and it took a day or so to get used to the footing difference at stoplights and such. Felt pretty awkward actually, but I'm used to it now. At 6'0" and average inseam for that height, I'm nowhere near having an issue putting both of my feet on the ground flat footed.

Congrats on your new RDL,almost makes a different bike out of it...for the better.

My RDL was built on a factory "low" seat,the finished height is the same as the factory "stock" seat.

Enjoy your new ride :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike. That's a good idea the way you did it, and I'm glad to hear it worked out well. When I bought my bike it had a Sergeant that was built on the factory low seat, and it was horrible- worse than the stock seat I traded for afterwards.

It really does make this thing like a new bike. My RT is the best bike I've ever owned by far, yet it was the most uncomfortable by far.

Now I'm just waiting for my new Roadcrafter to come back, I got it last week but sent it back to have the knee armor raised a couple inches... :thumbsup:

My RDL was built on a factory "low" seat,the finished height is the same as the factory "stock" seat.

Enjoy your new ride :thumbsup:

I did the same thing. Bought a low seat just for the RDL upgrade. Still wound up putting me on the balls of my feet instead of flat footed like I used to be. Go figure.

I might have lost a 1/2" or so,but the comfort more than makes up for it...when wearing boots,I'm still flat-footin'

The 'factory low' seat is the SAME pan as a normal seat, what makes it a 'low' seat is the amount of padding BMW puts on the seat, nothing else.

FWIW - My RDL was made on a 'low seat' as well.

Glad you like the seat. IMO - On the R12RT, the wings of the seat are a little too forward and cause a little too much leg restriction for my liking, leaving little room for error or slippery footing issues with the lower fairing.

Enjoy!

Archived