IGNORED

Paint Repair Jitters

FLrider

So, I picked up this 3 inch scratch at the supermarket parking lot a while ago. Right at the top crease of my side case. Anyway, have been laboring over trying to repair it myself or take it somewhere.

My body repair experiences have not been all that great. But, I really want to do this myself so, I practiced. On my wife's car :grin:

She had taken off some paint while backing up (into) something. So I bought the paint and clear coat from colorite. Wet sanding the rought edges, cleaned it well, primed it, painted with light coats and a final coat. Paint looked like a matte finish.

Instructions said, to get the shine, apply clear coat. I did. As instructed. Several light coats and a final.

Now it looks like a matte finish with a little shine to it.

Now I'm worried. :S

Instructions say, let it sit for 5 days. Wet sand again, polish and Voila!. Nice high gloss paint job. I don't see that happening.

No, I didn't lay the paint on too heavy. Yes, I degreased and cleaned it thoroughly. Primed it fine. I just don't see a nice finish in my future.

Should I have more faith in the final wet sand/ polish procedure.

Anyone do their own paint repairs that can offer some tips?

DaveTheAffable

Let it sit for the 5 days. Let that clear coat get hard.

When you wet sand, don't be in a hurry! And, don't use gorilla pressure! If you really bear down, it's not the 'grit' that scratches, it's the pressure that damages.

Wonder why it stayed in a semi-matte condition?.......I sanded and re-painted Kathyy's 1150RT mirror (Tiian Silver too) with Colorite and clear coated it ending with a glossy finish and a fairly good paint match....Unless you're looking it for you won't notice it's repainted.....

However.................

Leaving for a ride a couple of months ago on my 1200RT I forgot to close my left side case lid... :dopeslap: (this is painfull to talk about)...It bounced, the lid retaining strap came loose and it swung down and scrapped the road about a block from home...Really tore it up....I didn't attempt to repaint but took it to local BMW bike dealer who sent both lids out to be repainted....Did a great job but not cheap....

You might try your local BMW car dealer as I've heard that some car and bike colors are the same and they might be willing to shoot it while doing a car job if they they have their own booth...My local dealer doesn't have a full paint shop.........

Good luck and let us know how it works out....

***I'm no expert*** But: Are you applying the paint too thin? That will result in that matte finish. Get out your wheel barrow, and practice on that. Start really thin. Gradually move across, putting on a heavier and heavier coat until you get a run. You want to be in between the matte area and the run area. Err on too light, cause it's easier to add more. If you get a run just forget it and go have a beer. You'll have to sand it down later and start over. Let it sit for about a month and then get out your rubbing compound.

Don't forget that there's all kinds of how-to videos on youtube etc. Also don't forget, I'm no expert. Good luck!

I tried to repair a scratch on my RT side case and was not happy with the result so I took it to a pro and they did a perfect job. 'Course maybe you're more better at painting than I am, or more patient.

Good luck. I am sure this repair is possible for the DIYer.

Jay

Are you trying to do just a "spot repair"? Just painting the effected area or the whole panel of the sidecase?

Any time you are applying a clear coat as the final finish it is best to paint the entire panel with the clear. You spot the color ( I assume silver in your case ) in the effected area and overlap the original finish slightly. Then clear the whole panel. Obviously the whole panel has to be at least scuff sanded so the clear adheres properly. This is the professional way to do it. Unless you did not mix the clear properly, or it is not the recommended clear to put over the base coat, it may or may not have acceptable gloss when dry. Remember, gloss is reflected light and if the surface is sprayed too dry and/or has too much orange peel the gloss is not going to be there. Unless the finish is really rough wet sanding with 1200-1500 grit paper and PROPER polishing will bring back about any finish you can imagine!

Are you trying to do just a "spot repair"? Just painting the effected area or the whole panel of the sidecase?

Any time you are applying a clear coat as the final finish it is best to paint the entire panel with the clear. You spot the color ( I assume silver in your case ) in the effected area and overlap the original finish slightly. Then clear the whole panel. Obviously the whole panel has to be at least scuff sanded so the clear adheres properly. This is the professional way to do it. Unless you did not mix the clear properly, or it is not the recommended clear to put over the base coat, it may or may not have acceptable gloss when dry. Remember, gloss is reflected light and if the surface is sprayed too dry and/or has too much orange peel the gloss is not going to be there. Unless the finish is really rough wet sanding with 1200-1500 grit paper and PROPER polishing will bring back about any finish you can imagine!

In this case, I was practicing a spot repair on my wife's car, which is black and on the corner of the bumper. I didn't want to paint the whole bumper.

I wound up sanding off the first bad attempt (base and clear), with wet 600, then 1200, then 2000.

Got it back to original base, cleaned it with denatured alcohol, sprayed it again (still dull), clear coat (a little better), waited a week, polished out with Finesse It. Just a hair better.

I am just not getting something right. Going to taking it to a pro.

I'm still going to try to spot paint my side case but I'm going to minimize the paint area and minimize over spray and tape lines by cutting a hole in a piece of cardboard and spraying through the hole.

I did wind up spraying clear coat on my silver top case because when I bought it, it had a matte finish and looked unfinished.

I wet sanded it with 2000, laid 4 coats of clear, let it dry for a week, polished with 3M Finesse It and waxed with McGuire's. Came out AWESOME! Not as deep a shine as the factory paint, but still very nice. Glad I did it.

Archived