IGNORED

Windshield for R1100RT

Mike ONeill

Mike ONeill

I'm leaving for a SS1000 in a week and have a concern about my fairly new Cee Bailey windshield. I installed the CB windshield over the winter and at highway speeds I think the bike feels less stable than it did with the stock setup. Because I didn't do any highway riding immediately after the switch it's difficult to know for sure. The CB is +2-1/2" height, +3" width. I'd hate to make the switch back only to find little or no difference. I recall the stock windshield being more stable at 70+, but I can't swear to it because it's been a while. Can anyone confirm or dismiss my 'feeling'?

I can definitely tell a difference with my V Stream wind shield as opposed to the stock. The VS has more wind resistance when in the up position. Down low it works better and has less effect on the bike stability. How ever, having said all that, I still prefer the aero dynamics of the V Stream over the stock, especially when it comes to rain and bugs. Your C / B probably has better coverage for you as well. Try it in a lower position.

Mike ONeill

On the highway I use the lowest position always with a full face helmet. The CB is superb at secondary road speeds with respect to rain, wind, noise, june bugs, etc. Even in the lowest position at 70+ I feel the bike wanders. I'm thinking about throwing the stock unit back on just for this trip as it's 1000+ miles of strictly highway.

Hank in WV

Might want to check the air pressure in you tires. I have the same shield and higher pressures helped.

I have a CB screen on my RT, still have the stock windscreen, and the only time I notice any difference on the RT is when I have the GS mirrors mounted on the right and left lever mounts. The buffeting is surprisingly strong with those mirrors in place. If you receently added those mirrors to your RT that may be the bigger source of buffeting than the CB screen. FWIW.

Mike,

Not to belabor a point, but, if you provide ergo data, such as your height, build, then a more meaningful (to you) responder may post.

My needs or likes on an RT WRT windscreen is probably very different than most folks.

Best wishes.

Mike ONeill
Mike,

Not to belabor a point, but, if you provide ergo data, such as your height, build, then a more meaningful (to you) responder may post.

My needs or likes on an RT WRT windscreen is probably very different than most folks.

Best wishes.

Good point tallman, sorry about that. I'm 6', 195lbs and have my seat set on the middle height setting. No additional mirrors. The bike definately feels better with the windsheild lowered, but still seems to buffet more than with the stock unit. My tires (Z6's) are at F38psi and R40psi. Thanks to all responding.

I believe I have the same C/B windshield on my RT and am about the same height and weight as you. I have not noticed any less stability. I love the fact that with that taller and wider windshield I can raise it up and eliminate all of the wind noise creating a much, much quieter ride. I would think you would really appreciate that on your SS1000 ride.

Trace Wilkins

Bloomfield, NY

02 R1100RT

Archived