IGNORED

Installed Autocom in Nolan N103 Helmet

Fast Eddy

I just finished instaling an Autocom headset in 2 Nolan 103 helmets.I asked for opinions on this forum and got a few responses (thanks) but not the answers i was looking for specificaly so I just dove right in. I took apart the inner liner and the 2 ear pieces where the chin strap goes through. Then it was easy to take out the styrofoam under panels. if you remove the perforated circle there is a indentation for the ncom speakers. I used a half round file and trimmed the sides a little to fit the oval shaped autocom speakers. Don't alter the integrity of the helmet just file a little more from an area that is allready cut out for round speakers. Then I took some silicone adhesive and put a bead around theback of the vinyl ear piece and sealed the speakers inside the vinyl and foam back piece.I ran the wires under the backpiece and the boom through the opening that was allready on the left side of the helmet. I ran the lead cable through the little plastic snap on the left side.I just put it all back together and put the little fabric material back where it was near your ears and went for a ride. WOW what a difference. I had to turn the speaker volume down it was at least twice as loud as it ever was in my old Nolan and the speakers being mounted behind the ear area makes for a comfortable helmet. I took some photos but I can't seem to figure out how to attach them to this post.If you have an Autocom don't be afraid to give it a try it was pretty easy once I got past the fear of taking the helmet apart. :thumbsup:

AdirondackJack

Not to be a wet blanket, but just after I completed the same job, with the very same results a friend of mine said to me "when are you going to get rid of that piece of s**t helmet and get a real helmet that protects you? Once I got over the initial shock of his audacity and realized that he was really just looking out for my well being, I thought about it and ended up purchasing a brand new Arai full-face and set my brand new Nolan N-103 on a shelf. You see, he's an attorney to the motorcyle and auto racing industry and sees the results of the performance (or lack thereof) of various helmets during crashes. It was his belief (and now mine) that while the modular helmets are a cool idea and more convenient to wear, they run a serious chance of separating into their two distinct pieces in the event of a crash and failing to adequately protect us as well as a true full face helmet like the Arai.

Again, sorry to bring up an apprehensive thought, but maybe it will result in saving a life or preventing an injury. If so, it will have been worth it. after all, I wouldn't recommend something I don't do myself.

Just my humble opinion, and my 2 cents. Respectfully, Dave R.

Dave, I'm sure that is an issue that most of us consider every time we feel we are due, ( for whatever reasons ), for a new helmet.

I have always, ( well for the last 25 years or so...beginning with BELL ), considered anything less than a full face, and a current SNELL rated as well, as inferior protection. Not being able to pass tech inspection was a pretty good incentive as well...

But, as I get older ( damn it...) and my riding style has mellowed, as have I, the convenience and build quality of my new C3 Shuthbert seduced me into finally moving to the modular group.

Not to dismiss your point, it is well taken, and I doubt anyone would/could disagree with the statistics, but your friends perspective quite possibly mirrors that of my emerg staff friend, "all motorcycles are killers, just waiting to strike!"

See yur .02 and raise you a nickel :-).

Jim

Paul In Australia
Not to be a wet blanket, but just after I completed the same job, with the very same results a friend of mine said to me "when are you going to get rid of that piece of s**t helmet and get a real helmet that protects you? Once I got over the initial shock of his audacity and realized that he was really just looking out for my well being, I thought about it and ended up purchasing a brand new Arai full-face and set my brand new Nolan N-103 on a shelf. You see, he's an attorney to the motorcyle and auto racing industry and sees the results of the performance (or lack thereof) of various helmets during crashes. It was his belief (and now mine) that while the modular helmets are a cool idea and more convenient to wear, they run a serious chance of separating into their two distinct pieces in the event of a crash and failing to adequately protect us as well as a true full face helmet like the Arai.

Again, sorry to bring up an apprehensive thought, but maybe it will result in saving a life or preventing an injury. If so, it will have been worth it. after all, I wouldn't recommend something I don't do myself.

Just my humble opinion, and my 2 cents. Respectfully, Dave R.

Hi Dave

Interesting. Does your friend have specific case history or is it just a strong opinion he has. I am not aware of helmet seperation issues in crashes. Would like to see the stats. I don't have any stats so I am flying blind, but think that most of these things are strong opinions formulated based on "logic". Equally strong opinions will counter the statement.

regards

paul

I've been riding for 38 years and have always worn full face helmets. 1st Bell then Shoi,Simpson and finally Arai which I felt was the best of the bunch interms of safety. Then i started seeing the Nolans and my dealer said it was the most popular helmet going. well I tried it and it was a lot more comfortable and I could photograph from the seat of my bike.I'm a proffesional photographer and I've shot for Beaches alpine adventures in Europe and Norway.To be able to pull over unzip the tankbag pull out my camera flip up the helmet and shoot was too tempting to pass up.Its always been in the back of my mind that this wasn't the safest helmet on earth. I bought my 1st Nolan in 2003 and a new Arai. 1st I just wore the Nolan when I'd photograph then I started wearing it more because it was more comfortable and convenient. I* guess everything in life is a tradeoff. :S

AdirondackJack

All good points. It's also true that everyone has to decide the level/degree of risk they are comfortable with. In terms of pure ergonomics, the Nolan was a bit heavier, easily noisier, way way more convenient but not necessarily more comfortable, way more versatile, and it did have a metal clasp to hold the two modules together. I can really understand how we would all be drawn to its design etc. . . . . . . .ya know, as long as you are happy with it, what the heck! Not much more to say except happy, safe riding you guys, and good to have such a vigorous dialogue with such a great bunch of fellow motorcycling enthusiasts. Thank you! Dave R

AdirondackJack

p.s. Hi Paul in Australia:

He hasn't shared the specifics with me, but I will definitely press him for details. He is not the type to make empty statements without some data to back them up. Will advise. Dave R.

Penforhire

Given that I rode for a decade with no lid at all (back when it was legal in CA) I consider my Nolan N102 to be a fine piece of protection.

I wore out two Arai Quantums over the years. Very comfy. Yet both cost a significant premium and had annoying failures (side pods falling off, rubber bits falling off, shields fatigue cracking) and I was not alone in having those issues. Their lack of quality control (or call it bad design) makes me wonder if their safety is all they claim. I had no such quality issues with several inexpensive KBC's.

Oh, and my Nolan N102 is still flawless. I agree it is a choice we make but I found no evidence to poo-poo a modular with a metal latch system such as the Nolans.

Dennis_n1kcl
I just finished instaling an Autocom headset in 2 Nolan 103 helmets.I asked for opinions on this forum and got a few responses (thanks) but not the answers i was looking for specificaly so I just dove right in. I took apart the inner liner and the 2 ear pieces where the chin strap goes through. Then it was easy to take out the styrofoam under panels. if you remove the perforated circle there is a indentation for the ncom speakers. I used a half round file and trimmed the sides a little to fit the oval shaped autocom speakers. Don't alter the integrity of the helmet just file a little more from an area that is allready cut out for round speakers. Then I took some silicone adhesive and put a bead around theback of the vinyl ear piece and sealed the speakers inside the vinyl and foam back piece.I ran the wires under the backpiece and the boom through the opening that was allready on the left side of the helmet. I ran the lead cable through the little plastic snap on the left side.I just put it all back together and put the little fabric material back where it was near your ears and went for a ride. WOW what a difference. I had to turn the speaker volume down it was at least twice as loud as it ever was in my old Nolan and the speakers being mounted behind the ear area makes for a comfortable helmet. I took some photos but I can't seem to figure out how to attach them to this post.If you have an Autocom don't be afraid to give it a try it was pretty easy once I got past the fear of taking the helmet apart. :thumbsup:

Nice post Ed, to bad there's alot of hyjackers that just have to sway from the subject.

At any rate,I also did an Autocom install in the new N43 Trilogy which is similar to the 103 for speaker placement and found results like yours. I used a craft knife and a dremel but in the past have used a flat bladed soldering iron to remove some foam for speaker placement. It's also nice that they put that little boss and slot for correct mic placement.

I needed a replacement open face for my Shoei RJ-Air which I use in the summer down here and dicided the Trilogy was the best choice to combat the occasional rain shower. I can now just pop the chin bar and shield on in seconds and i"m off.

I use my Autocom to interface my Zumo,Phome and Amateur Radio and thanks to the placement of the speaker ports on these new Nolan's I can now hold a normal conversation on the local repeaters without having to crank the volume on the radio up to distortion levels.

Archived