IGNORED

Seat options?

Moto-Moto

I have a 2004RT with a Corbin seat, but am not happy with the seat after about 50+ miles into a ride. The Corbin was on the bike when I bought it, so I don't have a stock seat pan to send to one of the custom seat builders. I bought an AirHawk and after 2 rides, took it off as it didn't solve any of my issues (hot spots, no cushion).

Question- Am I better off buying a seat pan to send to RDL or Mayer, trading my Corbin for a stock and sending that or buying complete?

One other problem I have with the Corbin is the seat has broken the latch off where it hooks to the bike (under the pillion). Can this be fixed with JB Weld or an equivilent?

Hi Moto,

I had the same experience on my 99 RT. Came with a Corbin and I hated it. It also cracked the bracket under the pillion as you describe.

Fortunately the crack was such that I could open it up slightly and inject 5 minute epoxy into it and it has held up fine for several years. (minus the Corbin seat of course).

The after market seat guys will re-do a Corbin seat pan but charge extra because the cover is riveted on and they have extra labor to remove the rivets. I wouldn't want to use a Corbin pan in any case.

I bought a set of standard BMW seats on ebay and sent them off to Rick Mayer for a rebuild. I then sold my Corbin seats on ebay. Worked out great.

I didn't have any joy from the AirHawk either, also tried the BeadRider with no joy, next I am trying a sheep skin.

BTW, it is highly recommended to install Seat Jacks under the front of the drivers seat. You should be able to find a thread on that on this site. That helps to raise the front of the seat slightly and keep you from humping the gas tank.

Peter Parts

I'm pretty fond of Corbin's seats, even if the Corbin company leaves something to be desired. BIG difference with leather covering - it breathes like real leather and is far more tush friendly than plastic.

Best trick for hot and sweaty bottoms is furry sheepskin from Ikea. Great invention. Wouldn't go for a long scoot without it. Just throw a piece over the saddle and ride. Simple as that.

Everybody knows this or ought to.

Ben

Corbin seats are beautiful, are absolutely first-rate, and if you like a firm/hard seat, you're in luck because you'll love them. However, if you don't like a very firm seat, you'll hate Corbin. Trust me, I know from experience.

+1 on sheepskin. I use Alaska Leather sheepskin pads on my Touratech/Kahedo seats. They're great!

I just ordered an Alaskan Sheep Skin large butt pad on sale at Alaska Sheep Skin for $31.95. Can't wait to try it. My butt has been flaming in this 100 deg. + heat and the beads don't do a thing for me.

Beads in the summer, Alaskan Sheepskin in the winter.

Corbin all year. The firmness of the Corbin ,like the German cars, works best for me on the longer rides.

Thanks all. I must have a "sensitive posterior" because the Corbin seems to firm for me. I thought the Airhawk would help that. I need to try the sheepskin, but my fear is that (having never used sheepskin) it is hot around here with high humidity. I know the theory of more air movement, but fur in the summer?

I am going to try seldon's Sargent to see how that works and will post a follow up.

Thanks again

AdirondackJack

+2 0n Rick's Custom Seats! I bought extra seats for the RT thinking I had to plan ahead to be without seats while he was rebuilding mine, and presto, he had them back in under 2 weeks. Since I live in upstate NY, I necessarily had to do business with Rich long distance and based entirely on trust. I wasn't disappointed in the least. I tried the Airhawk and the beads. Neither worked for me. Rich's seat job has been just great (1 year and a bunch of thousand miles later). Covered in really great genuine (2-tone, color-matched) leather too! For me it was either the Russell Day Long or Rich's, and I'm glad I went with Rick's because I don't have that annoying feature of learning to deal with the wings cutting into your thighs. So IMHO, it's Rick's for custom seats. Dave R.

• 2 weeks later...

New to BMW bikes and options for seats. I just recently purchased a 2010 R1200GS and have 2500 miles on it. Seat's killing me. Rick Mayer? Bill Mayer? I've heard of one Mayer in Ojai, Ca. but not sure? Any success out there?

Love this bike but need seat relief,

Sun Rider

2010 R1200GS

Giving this topic a bump as an excuse to welcome another of my favorite people to this board!!

Everybody welcome Ted (Hi Ted!! :wave: ) and let's get him some ideas for seats, eh??

(As if this crowd is short on opinions about seats and anything else!! ;) )

Sun Rider,

Welcome to the board!

Bill Mayer Saddles IS in Ojai CA.

It took me exactly one ride of over 1 hour to discover how painful the stock seat on my 07 RT could be. (Regretably, I have no natural padding) :(

Mrs. Groanup and I made a "ride in" appointment and the folks there took good care of us. We spent about 6 hours getting it just right. For the record, it took about 1000 miles before it really broke in. I can now go 2 - 3 hours before my lack of natural padding becomes an issue. Still can't outlast my gas tank except with an act of extreme will power...

There's lots of choices out there. Whatever you choose, I highly recomend a "ride in" especially if you have any issues. My wife has several fused disks and they were able to make her comfortable.

Archived