IGNORED

powering laptop from bike system?

Doug 55

Howdy y'all,

Anyone been there / done that?

All I can think of is an off the shelf DC / AC converter unit as per available at RV and boating stores. Seems kind of clunky and maybe a lot of power draw though ?!?

TIA for any info!

1. Inverter (DC to AC) then plug in your normal cord. More bulky on the bike, but more convenient when you get to the hotel.

2. Buy the car adapter (cigarette-lighter) for your laptop. Also buy the Powerlet adapter, so you can plug it into the standard powerlet outlet (1100, not the 100!)

I've had fair luck with using the cigarette adapter, but I have the larger alternator, and I've installed a cigarette lighter, so it's pretty easy for me. Generally, I don't bother charging it on the go, since I can just plug in when I get where I'm going, and I don't use it when I'm out riding.

RocketMoto

How about a 12 volt DC power supply for the laptop, and forget the Inverter? Actually, their supplies are AC or DC, depending on which cord you plug in.

Targus makes some as well as iGo. They offer various plugs that fir nearly every laptop. I believe Radio Shack sells iGo, or did at one time, anyway.

Archived