IGNORED

Headlight modulator?

Deek

I had a headlight modulator on my last few motorcycles and I like them. On my last RT I think I had a Kissan installed on it....worked wonderfully well, but I did get a "light out" on the LCD panel on the dash. The RT's computer figured something was wrong, so each time the modulator modulated, I'd get a momentary "light out".

I want to install a headlight modulator on the 2009 RT I just got, but I'd like to NOT have that "light out" warning. Anyone using a modulator that doesn't display a warning?

Thanks.

Call Kisan - they'll be able to let you know which to buy. I went through three of them before things were right. They worked with me very well..

Heck

Deek-

Beware however that Kisan's having connector issues with the modulators on the newer RTs, that do NOT have a positive latching mechanism. I'm a big fan of modulators myself, and have published articles about them for use in BMWs, but found out unfortunately that for my 2009 RT there is nothing I would consider using. Without the latching mechanism, the modulator's connector could very easily fall out, leaving you in sudden, total darkness. I consider that a major safety hazard. There was a long thread on this not too long ago, and I personally spent hours and hours trying to find an AMP connector to use, in conjunction with Kisan - no luck.

You can get around this by hard-wiring it in, which turns a 10 minute installation into a day-long affair. To me, that was too much to go through. YMMV.

-MKL

markgoodrich

Kriss Industries made a modulator for the canbus bikes. George Kriss is a nice guy, but a little short-tempered. He got fed up with "the BMW crowd" after a couple of whines from some customers. He quit making the modulator, but may still have some in stock. He made a brake flasher for me, works great. He never put it into production. You need to call and speak directly to George Kriss.

I installed a Kisan modulator on my '05 and shortly thereafter the entire headlight assembly failed. One minute I had lights and the next minute, darkness. The whole shebang had to be replaced. Fortunately for me, the dealer, who had installed the modulator, got it covered on warranty. I can't claim for sure that the modulator caused the failure, but I've stayed away from them since. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I could be confident that it would function without poltergeist problems.

I'm using the Kisan P115W-A6 with the CanBus option on my 2009 RT, and do not get the "light out" warning

Oh, that's very much for that information Keith, I will jot that down. I'm still not sure how I'm going to proceed on this, but I am going to get something on the front end to make my bike more noticeable.

I appreciate your post and including the model number, etc.

Call Kisan - they'll be able to let you know which to buy. I went through three of them before things were right. They worked with me very well..

Heck

Thanks Heck, but why did you have to go through 3 of them first? Were the models different, and you just had to find one that worked okay?

Interesting. Since I did not install the Kisan modulator in my 2006 RT, I have no idea how they installed it, but I luckily had no problems. Is the potential really so high for a disconnect? Could not a cable tie or something like that reduce any possibility it would come on plugged? What other solutions to making your RT more conspicuous from the front have you considered/tried?

Thanks for the input.

Kriss Industries made a modulator for the canbus bikes. George Kriss is a nice guy, but a little short-tempered. He got fed up with "the BMW crowd" after a couple of whines from some customers. He quit making the modulator, but may still have some in stock. He made a brake flasher for me, works great. He never put it into production. You need to call and speak directly to George Kriss.

I'll have to check into that also.........not familar with Kriss Industries but I'm sure I can find it on the 'net.

Deek-

On the '09 at least, the headlight socket is in the dash on the right side under your gauges. You can feel your way in there, and you'll notice a large AMP connector plugged in to the dash's underside. The Kisan modulator essentially installs by plugging the stock AMP connector into it, and then plugging the modulator into the socket where the AMP connector was.

The problem is, Kisan has not been able to secure a connector that fits that stock dash socket properly and positively locks in, the way the stock AMP connector does. There is nowhere down there that you can zip tie it in place or otherwise secure it in place without maybe modifying the dash somehow. If that connector falls out - which it very likely will, since there's nothing holding it on except the friction of the socket pins themselves - which is close to nothing - the lights all go out, period. I discovered this the first time I hit a small pothole at dusk on my first test ride with the modulator installed. I was leery enough of this setup to take my first test ride at dusk, just to confirm my suspicions.

As I said, I worked with Andy at Kisan and used some engineers at work to try to track down a more adequate connector, but we didn't have much luck, and the proper connector from AMP has an enormous "minimum buy quantity," meaning Kisan would have to order thousands of them just to get them, and since they don't sell enough product to justify this, it's not economically viable to do it.

The only way I can see installing this modulator safely is to "hard wire" it in, meaning complete disassembly of the dash which is not (to me) a minor undertaking. So I returned the Kisan unit and told them to notify me when they have a connector that locks.

Until then, I've added Motolights with 50W amber bulbs on my lower fork and small HID Trail Tech lights under my oil cooler, and the bike literally looks like a Christmas tree from the front now. There are other lights like protons or Clearwater LEDs (in process of testing those now) which also enhance conspicuity.

may%202010.jpg

I always have been and probably always will be a proponent of modulators, and have published as such on more than 1 occasion. Up until this RT I've installed Kisan units on all our BMWs and always had stellar results. But I cannot in good conscience recommend the Kisan model for the 1200RT until the connector issue is solved, because I consider the sudden loss of lights during the normal course of riding a major safety hazard. Unless it's hardwired in or you devise a solution to keep that connector in place, it's not a safe install, at least if installed in accordance with the instructions.

-MKL

I found the old thread - look up "Question for Users of Kisan P115W-A6 HL Modulator" - I'm not sure how to link to old threads, but the info's all right there.

-MKL

Thanks for the info on the Kisan. That helps me make the decision; no Kisan for the time being. I too am sold on modulators, but I certainly don't want something that might pop off on a ride!

I will have to check out the Moto Lights....I've already done a bit of research on the Photon Blaster, and they are on the short list for now. I like their price and the ease of installation, but would like to get a little more conspicuity if possible.

markgoodrich

Motolights really do help, however, I've found the amber bulbs don't last very long. I've found an alternative source, with a longer-lasting amber bulb. My riding buddies say I'm super-visible.

bulbster.com has Ushio bulbs, FNC/FG "popstar" yellow bulbs rated at 4000 hours, much longer than others. A pair ends up costing about $26, but my experience so far is that is much less than the cost of frequently replacing other brands. Mine have been on the bike for about 10,000 miles so far, with about 2500 of that in Mexico, with jarring speed bumps every ten meters or so...or so it seemed. [if I was ordering Motolights today, I'd just take their basic "free" bulb, and order the Ushio ambers]

Here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/25cokcn

Others simply get the amber low-voltage bulbs at home centers (for landscape lighting) and swear by them, but I didn't have much luck with them.

Archived